Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

I am at my BSW program today and no one here has heard anything from Laurier.  Not sure if that means I still have a chance or not.  Has anyone heard of anyone else getting an acceptance or rejection?  They said everyone would hear by the end of February, well it is now February 24!

Hi everyone! 

There were a few that asked about the distance MSW for Dalhousie - I received an acceptance letter on Feb 10th (was dated Feb 7th) that said the Social Work Admissions Committee has recommended my acceptance to the Dean of Graduate Studies but it also has the caveat that although they recommended me, the final decision is by the Dean of Graduate Studies. I haven't heard anything further but I'm guessing I have been accepted? 

I have also applied to UVic's distance MSW, which is my first choice. Not sure if anyone else is applying there but I just checked online today and my application status changed from 'interim review' to 'File forwarded to department' (not sure if that means anything or not but I was excited to see the change!)

Good luck to everyone - the waiting game truly stinks!

Last year a couple of people were accepted to Laurier while most on this forum (which was a lot bigger last year) hadn't heard anything. One week later, a whole bunch of people heard back, both acceptances and rejections. Perhaps the same thing will happen this year. I think you could still get an offer. It's not over 'til it's over. Good luck!

I am at my BSW program today and no one here has heard anything from Laurier.  Not sure if that means I still have a chance or not.  Has anyone heard of anyone else getting an acceptance or rejection?  They said everyone would hear by the end of February, well it is now February 24!

Hi everyone! 

There were a few that asked about the distance MSW for Dalhousie - I received an acceptance letter on Feb 10th (was dated Feb 7th) that said the Social Work Admissions Committee has recommended my acceptance to the Dean of Graduate Studies but it also has the caveat that although they recommended me, the final decision is by the Dean of Graduate Studies. I haven't heard anything further but I'm guessing I have been accepted? 

I have also applied to UVic's distance MSW, which is my first choice. Not sure if anyone else is applying there but I just checked online today and my application status changed from 'interim review' to 'File forwarded to department' (not sure if that means anything or not but I was excited to see the change!)

Good luck to everyone - the waiting game truly stinks!

ughhhh mannnn......I am sad I haven't heard anything from Dalhousie! it is my first choice.....I also applied to UVIC distance, and haven't heard, and my status still says "interim review".....I'll be so depressed if I don't get into either!!!!  

Thanks for the update tho, it is nice to know where everyone else is at with their applications!!!! Good luck to everyone and hopefully we will all know soon!!!

I hear you, it sucks to not be in the know about anything. A few of my friends have applied to UVic too but their status still says the interim review. They submitted their application after I did (mine was Oct 20th) so maybe it's just being done in order of received? My friend that applied at UVic last year said she got an email from them mid-March saying she got into the 2nd round and then received a rejection in April. Such a let down! I think I would rather not get a letter getting my hopes up like that only to still get rejected. Sigh. I saw on their site that they don't finalize until the end of April/May - ugh. So far away. I have also heard that if you don't get into grad school the first kick at it that when you apply again it does help - especially if your app was on the cusp for them last time. I applied to Dal last year and was rejected so maybe that's why it helped me this year. I wish we could get concrete feedback on it all - such a lot of time/energy goes into these applications never to really know proper feedback. 

ughhhh mannnn......I am sad I haven't heard anything from Dalhousie! it is my first choice.....I also applied to UVIC distance, and haven't heard, and my status still says "interim review".....I'll be so depressed if I don't get into either!!!!  

Thanks for the update tho, it is nice to know where everyone else is at with their applications!!!! Good luck to everyone and hopefully we will all know soon!!!

I hear you, it sucks to not be in the know about anything. A few of my friends have applied to UVic too but their status still says the interim review. They submitted their application after I did (mine was Oct 20th) so maybe it's just being done in order of received? My friend that applied at UVic last year said she got an email from them mid-March saying she got into the 2nd round and then received a rejection in April. Such a let down! I think I would rather not get a letter getting my hopes up like that only to still get rejected. Sigh. I saw on their site that they don't finalize until the end of April/May - ugh. So far away. I have also heard that if you don't get into grad school the first kick at it that when you apply again it does help - especially if your app was on the cusp for them last time. I applied to Dal last year and was rejected so maybe that's why it helped me this year. I wish we could get concrete feedback on it all - such a lot of time/energy goes into these applications never to really know proper feedback. 

Ohhh that would be the WORST! I'm really hopeful that I could have at least gotten on the wait list for Dalhousie.....and maybe people, like yourself, will get accepted to both and drop Dal.....you are right, its a lot of time, energy...and money...to apply to all of these programs only to get turned away....it would also be nice if they all returned the letters at the same time so the trickle in effect didn't happen!

I agree, it would be better if they could do all the notifications on the same day, or at the very most over two days.  Knowing that other people got accepted to the program on Thursday and I've still heard nothing either way is really, really frustrating!  I would prefer they just do it online.  Pick a day and say everyone can go online and check their status on that specific day and then everyone knows.  Would be so much easier.

Ohhh that would be the WORST! I'm really hopeful that I could have at least gotten on the wait list for Dalhousie.....and maybe people, like yourself, will get accepted to both and drop Dal.....you are right, its a lot of time, energy...and money...to apply to all of these programs only to get turned away....it would also be nice if they all returned the letters at the same time so the trickle in effect didn't happen!

This whole waiting game is so intense! I am sure everyone feels the same as me and just wants to find out either way if they got in or not so they can move on with their lives! U of T is sending out their decisions by mid-march and that wait is killing me! I can't imagine what people feel like having to wait until April! 

Last year there were 280 applicants and they took 90 students.  So basically we have a 1 in 3 chance.

Does anyone remember how many apply and how many are accepted to the advance standing u of t program?

I am at school right now and a ton of people got rejections letters from Laurier last night.  Did anyone here get one?  I didn't but I assume mine will be in the mail today bc I haven't gotten an acceptance email.  So sad :(

Hmm, I don't know about that.  I have never heard of UofT taking 150 students for the advanced standing program.  And I have never heard of any Masters program anywhere taking 1/2 of all students that appply.  Someone who got accepted to UofT last year, as well as the information session at my university, said they accept approximately 32% of applicants.

Hey I heard the info session that they got about 300 applicants and took 150.

Ok, I am confused now.  Everyone I've talked to in my program got a rejection letter yesterday.  Then you said you got a rejection letter today.  I am at school but I just had my husband check the mail and he said there is nothing there.  So why am I not hearing anything??  I live in the same city as Laurier so if a letter was sent I should have gotten it by now.  I am getting incredibly frustrated!  I just want an answer.

FYI those waiting on Laurier - got a rejection letter from Laurier this morning. If you haven't gotten one yet, maybe you've been wait listed -  Keep your heads up :)

Edited by smpalesh

I just looked back through my information and I figured out where your info got scrambled.  The 300 applicants to the advanced standing program is accurate but the 150 is the number accepted into the 2 year MSW not the advanced standing.  The advanced standing is 90.  Hope that helps! 

Hey I heard the info session that they got about 300 applicants and took 150.

I just looked back through my information and I figured out where your info got scrambled.  The 300 applicants to the advanced standing program is accurate but the 150 is the number accepted into the 2 year MSW not the advanced standing.  The advanced standing is 90.  Hope that helps!

Ahhh okay. That's really weird. Well, now I'm less confident lol. Thanks for the info!

Thanks for looking into it for me!

Hello! I've been lurking for a while, but just created an account to commiserate with all of you. Waiting is SO HARD! I've only applied to one program (Foundation MSW at UBC) and can't wait to find out whether I will be going to school in the fall or looking for work. I can so relate to those who have written about checking their e-mails constantly, finding only listserv messages and ads.... argh!  

Wishing all of you the best during this stressful time. A friend suggested that I try to introduce more fun things into my routine so that I don't get too bogged down, so I'm going to attempt to practice more self care during the next few weeks! Anyone have any suggestions? (Right now my only self care involves watching too much House of Cards). :)

Ultimately, I guess it all comes down to remembering that we all have so much to offer regardless of whether or not we get admitted. It's hard to remember that sometimes when the power balance feels so asymmetrical, but it's true!

I just heard from Laurier by email and I am waitlisted.  I am happy it isn't a rejection but would rather it was an acceptance!  Does anyone know what the odds of actually getting off a waiting list are? 

So I am tentatively hopeful, but still waiting on UofT and hoping for the best there!

I just heard from Laurier by email and I am waitlisted.  I am happy it isn't a rejection but would rather it was an acceptance!  Does anyone know what the odds of actually getting off a waiting list are? 

So I am tentatively hopeful, but still waiting on UofT and hoping for the best there!

Congrats for making it onto the waitlist!!!! Especially considering how tough they are with the experience requirement! 

Should we be hearing from U of T (for the advanced standing) next week ish? Decisions were made by the 10th last year... Based on last years thread. I'm so incredibly anxious lol I just want to find out so that I can move on with my life :unsure:

Should we be hearing from U of T (for the advanced standing) next week ish? Decisions were made by the 10th last year... Based on last years thread. I'm so incredibly anxious lol I just want to find out so that I can move on with my life :unsure:

You seem to be right. I also checked the results page from previous years and it seems to confirm the same timeline. Excited and terrfied to my core. I think to preserve whatever is left of my sanity I need to leave my email alone till then. 

You seem to be right. I also checked the results page from previous years and it seems to confirm the same timeline. Excited and terrfied to my core. I think to preserve whatever is left of my sanity I need to leave my email alone till then.

Do you know if most people find out through email or snail mail?

From the UofT website: "Decisions for the Advanced Standing M.S.W. Program will be mailed out by mid-March. Decisions for the Two-Year Full-Time Program will be mailed out by mid-April"

So it is by snail mail.

Do you know if most people find out through email or snail mail?