Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Thanks for this information. Good to know that I can get an answer in two weeks by now. According to their website rejected candidates are first to be notified. Hopefully, in case of rejection I will still have time to apply for Educational Counselling at Ottawa U since they have the deadline March 1st. Fingers crossed for both of us.

Hi everyone! 

I have been following the 2013/2014 posts and wish you all luck I remember how stressful this time of the year can be with applications and waiting on results :) I was hoping someone might be able to share some insight with me as I am hoping to return to school for fall 2015 - has anyone come across Canadian universities (preferably in Ontario) that offer a dual or joint degree for MSW and a masters in public health or global health?

I know U of T offers a collaborative program in community development and health service and policy research in addition to specializing in the following topics: 

But I was hoping there might be more options out there, especially since the closest program I can find only takes 3 students a year (again at U of T- 

Health Administration/Social Work (MHSc/MSW)

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you :)

Hey everyone! I've been following this thread for a few months and thought I'd join! I applied to UofT and Windsor for the 2-year msw programs, hoping I get in this year!!! Good luck to everyone who applied! :D

I have a question about UofT...along with a 4-year undergrad in Sociology, I took a post-grad certificate at Mohawk for Concurrent Disorders, and I did really well average-wise...i was wondering if UofT puts any weight on any college diploma/certificate grades for our applications? I mean, it can't hurt, but will they take those marks into some account along with our university grades/gpa? 

I've seen a similar question asked before (a year or two ago probably). From what I understand they do not take college programs into account for the average. It's simply the last 5 300-400 level courses on your university transcript.

The college program will help in terms of added experience and shows your commitment to the field. 

I have a A in the Social Service Worker college program I took after my BA....so I hear ya, it would be nice if they looked at those grades...I submitted a transcript! I have no idea if the admissions committee even looks at transcripts though. 

If you are looking for suggestions, you may want to mention if you are applying to advanced standing MSW programs or programs with a foundational year as this could greatly change your options. Check out the following website. I'm certain you will find the answer to your question there.  http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/study-programs/

Hi everyone! 

I have been following the 2013/2014 posts and wish you all luck I remember how stressful this time of the year can be with applications and waiting on results :) I was hoping someone might be able to share some insight with me as I am hoping to return to school for fall 2015 - has anyone come across Canadian universities (preferably in Ontario) that offer a dual or joint degree for MSW and a masters in public health or global health?

I know U of T offers a collaborative program in community development and health service and policy research in addition to specializing in the following topics: 

But I was hoping there might be more options out there, especially since the closest program I can find only takes 3 students a year (again at U of T- 

Health Administration/Social Work (MHSc/MSW)

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you :)

Edited by jenste

If you are looking for suggestions, you may want to mention if you are applying to advanced standing MSW programs or programs with a foundational year as this could greatly change your options. Check out the following website. I'm certain you will find the answer to your question there.  http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/study-programs/

I am not applying for advanced standing since I did not graduate with a BSW, but thank-you for the link :)

Thanks for this information. Good to know that I can get an answer in two weeks by now. According to their website rejected candidates are first to be notified. Hopefully, in case of rejection I will still have time to apply for Educational Counselling at Ottawa U since they have the deadline March 1st. Fingers crossed for both of us.

Just wondering if you have applied to the U of G MFT program prior to this year? :)

It occured to me this weekend that this waiting is driving me crazy.  I applied last year and was wait listed, which it turns out was okay because I could work and save for another year, but now I am anxious.  If I don't get in I have no plan B.  I work out of the field (Business) and am trying to change careers I really don't think I can stay in a field I don't like for yet another year.

It's such a wierd helpless feeling just waiting to find out what your life will hold for the next two years. And we have over 2 more months of this.  Is anyone else feeling like they are losing it a bit?

It occured to me this weekend that this waiting is driving me crazy.  I applied last year and was wait listed, which it turns out was okay because I could work and save for another year, but now I am anxious.  If I don't get in I have no plan B.  I work out of the field (Business) and am trying to change careers I really don't think I can stay in a field I don't like for yet another year.

It's such a wierd helpless feeling just waiting to find out what your life will hold for the next two years. And we have over 2 more months of this.  Is anyone else feeling like they are losing it a bit?

Yup. Its torture not knowing how the next few months will look. I'm actively trying to keep my focus on things that are happening in the near future. Practicing zen. Living in the here and now, etc. I find that helps :)

Although it doesn't feel like it now I remind myself, that time goes by so fast, April will be here before we know it!

It occured to me this weekend that this waiting is driving me crazy. I applied last year and was wait listed, which it turns out was okay because I could work and save for another year, but now I am anxious. If I don't get in I have no plan B. I work out of the field (Business) and am trying to change careers I really don't think I can stay in a field I don't like for yet another year.

It's such a wierd helpless feeling just waiting to find out what your life will hold for the next two years. And we have over 2 more months of this. Is anyone else feeling like they are losing it a bit?

I am totally stressed waiting for an answer but luckily for me I don't have much longer to wait. I am applying for the advanced standing program so for Laurier I will know by the end of this month and for UofT I will know by mid-March. Knowing soon is actually stressing me out more bc it means I can't keep convincing myself I will get in, if I don't get in I will know it soon and then I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Well, heard from Waterloo today so that's out. Waiting for Lakehead and Toronto to make their decision. This waiting is absolute agony I just want to KNOW so I can start planning my life! I'm sure all of you are feeling similar. This truly is a waiting game. 

Well, heard from Waterloo today so that's out. Waiting for Lakehead and Toronto to make their decision. This waiting is absolute agony I just want to KNOW so I can start planning my life! I'm sure all of you are feeling similar. This truly is a waiting game. 

Aww, sorry to hear about Waterloo.  That is sure a fast response time.  I don't know about Lakehead but UofT is mid-March for advanced standing, not sure what it is for the 2-year.

Just as an FYI, I found out from a few friends that they received rejection e-mails from Carleton last week. 

Seriously!!?

I'm a candidate for the two-year program and have still yet to hear anything. This is VERY good news!! 

Thank you so much for sharing!

Aww, sorry to hear about Waterloo.  That is sure a fast response time.  I don't know about Lakehead but UofT is mid-March for advanced standing, not sure what it is for the 2-year.

Yes I was quite surprised to hear back so quickly, especially considering I had a very high average and some experience. Although when speaking to admissions they did say they would consider applicants straight from their BSW which is what I'm doing but the large majority are working professionals with years of experience. It's also health-based so I am not sure it was a good fit for me, and they might have saw that as well. Fingers crossed for U of T it's my first choice.

Seriously!!?

I'm a candidate for the two-year program and have still yet to hear anything. This is VERY good news!! 

Thank you so much for sharing!

They had applied to the 1 year program, so I'm not sure how that relates to the two year program, but no news is good news for now :)

They had applied to the 1 year program, so I'm not sure how that relates to the two year program, but no news is good news for now :)

Ah, shucks! My fingers are crossed. It is my THIRD time applying and my first choice in school. Thanks for the info :)

Starting to get stressed about Laurier.  They said we would hear (for the advanced standing) by the end of February but I looked at the results thing on here and last year people got acceptance emails on February 9.  I will be devastated if I don't get it.  There are two people from my BSW program that I'm currently in that I cannot stand and they have applied to the same programs as me and, I know it's petty, I will be so pissed if they get in and I don't!

If they said you'll hear back at the end of February then try to be patient until then. If people heard back early February in previous years then clearly their timeline has changed this year. Best of luck to you!

For those who applied to Laurier (two-year), there were a little over 500 applications and they will be accepting 90. Two-year applications are currently being sorted and reviewed.

No idea about the advanced standing apps. Sorry :(

Hi Everyone :)  

I've been following for a while- nobody in my undergrad program is applying to the MSW so it's nice to feel like I'm not alone in my stress when reading here lol 

Just wondering if anyone knows when York is expected to give out decisions for the two year program, I can't seem to find anything

Thanks in advance! 

For those who applied to Laurier (two-year), there were a little over 500 applications and they will be accepting 90. Two-year applications are currently being sorted and reviewed.

No idea about the advanced standing apps. Sorry :(

You would think that if they are working on the 2 year apps that would mean they are done the 1 year apps.  Which is not looking good for me :(