Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Im having the same problem with deciding how much i should or shouldn't change my written statement. other than adding what i've been doing in the last year, i thought it was pretty good...but how would I know?!

I changed my Laurier one a lot.  Like pretty much rewrote the whole thing except for one paragraph.  I thought it was good last year but this year I read a lot of tips on writing a good statement so I took those tips and redid the whole thing.  I am happy with the new version.  Going to write UofT this week - I have a terrible flu right now and my brain is mush so hopefully I'll be better soon.

Hi all,

This is my second year posting on this forum. I have just submitted my 'round 2' application for the MSW program at Carleton. Over the past year I've been able to bring my GPA up to an A-, top up my work experience to 6,000 hours (between my job at a hospital and volunteering on a crisis line), and I've tailored my personal statement to be congruent with Carleton's 'Structural Approach' to social work education. I'm really hoping that this will be my year! Anyone here in the same boat with Carleton???

Cheers!

Best of luck to everyone.

I am wondering if anyone else is having the same worries as me. I am completing my BSW, however it's the 1 year program and so I don't start placement until January. U of T wants you to have one of your referees be your placement supervisor, however they told me that in my situation I can replace this referee with another one and submit a cover letter explaining my choices. I am worried that this will impact their decision to accept me and leave me at a disadvantage in comparison to others who have had a full year placement and have their placement supervisors as their reference. Any thoughts on this? 

Hi Dannika,

I am in the same boat. I'm doing my placement in April through Dalhousie Distance. 2 of the people who graduated from Dalhousie last year both got in to the program so I don't think it will put us at too much of a disadvantage.

Which school are you at?  I am also doing a 1 yr BSW but my placement runs from September-June (I am at University of Waterloo).

I am wondering if anyone else is having the same worries as me. I am completing my BSW, however it's the 1 year program and so I don't start placement until January. U of T wants you to have one of your referees be your placement supervisor, however they told me that in my situation I can replace this referee with another one and submit a cover letter explaining my choices. I am worried that this will impact their decision to accept me and leave me at a disadvantage in comparison to others who have had a full year placement and have their placement supervisors as their reference. Any thoughts on this? 

I asked for advice for this before, but now it's getting closer to the deadline! eek. 

Anyhow, I'm still waiting on one more reference for UofT and they did not respond to any of my emails. However, i called them last Friday and they assured me they were working on it and knew the date it is due. It's been a week and it's still not uploaded. Should I call again or just trust them to get it done? I hate being annoying. 

I asked for advice for this before, but now it's getting closer to the deadline! eek. 

Anyhow, I'm still waiting on one more reference for UofT and they did not respond to any of my emails. However, i called them last Friday and they assured me they were working on it and knew the date it is due. It's been a week and it's still not uploaded. Should I call again or just trust them to get it done? I hate being annoying. 

I'm having a similar issue with one of me references. I emailed him a reminder on December 4th, and he said he'd get to it the next day. It still hasn't been submitted. As a little reminder, I've just sent off another email asking whether he'll be submitting the document via the online system or by mail, since I need to record that for the application. I know that he'll be submitting it online, but I thought I'd send that off instead without it being as annoying as "have you done it yet?".

Jaylynn, I know how hard it is to wait, but if the person told you verbally that they will have it in by the deadline, trust that they will do it.  How long until the deadline?  Also, if it is a professor, just remember that they are busy marking exams/essays right now.  That doesn't mean that they've 'forgotten' about the reference, it just means that it isn't their top priority right now.

Hang in there, the person will do it :)

Which school are you at?  I am also doing a 1 yr BSW but my placement runs from September-June (I am at University of Waterloo).

I am at Lakehead University. The program just runs in a different format, so I am not really missing out on hours just the timing is difference. For instance instead of doing placement 2-3 times per week during the whole year as many programs do, ours runs January-June however we are doing placement 4 days per week and then from April-June strictly placement 5 days per week. 

Also, does anyone know when Waterloo sends out their decisions? I can't find anywhere on the website where that info is listed. I am assuming March/April but I would love to know the exact time period! 

Jaylynn, I know how hard it is to wait, but if the person told you verbally that they will have it in by the deadline, trust that they will do it.  How long until the deadline?  Also, if it is a professor, just remember that they are busy marking exams/essays right now.  That doesn't mean that they've 'forgotten' about the reference, it just means that it isn't their top priority right now.

Hang in there, the person will do it :)

Thank you for the encouraging words MSW13! I actually spoke to them today because I had a few questions so I did end up calling and leaving a voicemail. Thankfully they called back. I'm quite the anxious one when it comes to people not responding to my emails, I always question what I may have done to piss someone off lol, it's a bad habit I have to get out of! 

But it is due Monday so I was getting a little nervous because I know how busy she is, and it could have slipped her mind. Only 3 more days of this stress! 

I have been terribly ill with pneumonia for the last 2 weeks and I literally completely forgot about my official transcript for UofT!! :o   It is due Monday and obviously I can't get it there by then.  I am freaking out right now.  I ordered it over a week ago so it should be available to pick up Monday but then I still have to send it to UofT (I'm in Waterloo).  Are my chances totally gone now??  The website says they do NOT accept late applications.  I just emailed the admissions contact but it is the weekend now so I don't expect to hear back.  Why did I have to get so sick? :(

I would call U of T on Monday morning to double check. But if they don't accept late applications it sounds like you might have to travel to Toronto on Monday.

I have been terribly ill with pneumonia for the last 2 weeks and I literally completely forgot about my official transcript for UofT!! :o   It is due Monday and obviously I can't get it there by then.  I am freaking out right now.  I ordered it over a week ago so it should be available to pick up Monday but then I still have to send it to UofT (I'm in Waterloo).  Are my chances totally gone now??  The website says they do NOT accept late applications.  I just emailed the admissions contact but it is the weekend now so I don't expect to hear back.  Why did I have to get so sick? :(

Edited by jenste

I remember when I applied last year and had problems with one of my references, Angela said if you are a little late getting something in that was someones else's responsiblity to do (ie: references) they are forgiving with items that are a bit late. But if it is something you are responsible for doing within the deadline then they aren't flexible. But I'd still double check before trecking out to Toronto. It's always best to get first hand information.

Edited by jenste

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with UofT's 'MSW Program Application Form' for those applying to the two year stream . Basically how I understand it is that we do not have to complete the last two sections 'preference for full time or part time studies' and 'specialization' if we are applying for the two year program and that it's just for the advanced standing applicants. Am I wrong? Thanks for your help. I've been reading your advice over the last few months and thought I would finally reach out to my potential colleagues.   :)

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with UofT's 'MSW Program Application Form' for those applying to the two year stream . Basically how I understand it is that we do not have to complete the last two sections 'preference for full time or part time studies' and 'specialization' if we are applying for the two year program and that it's just for the advanced standing applicants. Am I wrong? Thanks for your help. I've been reading your advice over the last few months and thought I would finally reach out to my potential colleagues.   :)

I am pretty sure when I applied last year for the 2 year program, I still had to indicate whether my first choice was full time or part time, however did NOT need to put specialization as that is only for the advanced stream. 

I heard back from UofT and they said as long as I have everything else in then it is okay.  Phew!  Now I hope they actually have my transcript ready to go at UW.  Now I have to get everything else ready by the end of tomorrow and I'm set.

People applying to U of T- how did you do the interests section for your resume?! I've never included one before. My interests are pretty general, so it seems silly to just jot down "cooking" or "travel" know what I mean?

People applying to U of T- how did you do the interests section for your resume?! I've never included one before. My interests are pretty general, so it seems silly to just jot down "cooking" or "travel" know what I mean?

I was waitlisted last year so i don't know what's best, but I never really included that sort of stuff on my resume. However, I did have a section titled "Graduate Research Interests" where I just jotted down what I'm interested in looking into if I were to get into social work 

I'm just going over that now too... I don't think we do the last two sections

I was waitlisted last year so i don't know what's best, but I never really included that sort of stuff on my resume. However, I did have a section titled "Graduate Research Interests" where I just jotted down what I'm interested in looking into if I were to get into social work 

Yah I've never included it either.. unless someone has a super cool and specific interest then I don't think its all that helpful haha. Thanks!!

I am so frustrated with my practicum supervisor.  She was notified November 26 about the reference letter.  In the last 3 days I have texted her twice and emailed her twice and she still has not responded or written the reference letter, which is due tomorrow.  :angry:  I still have to write my written statement and my field practicum experience section.   I am so tired of grad applications!  I still have to do Western as well, which is due January 15

Anyone else tired of worrying about how to make yourself look good on paper??  Where is the pulling my hair out smiley? lol

Edited by smpalesh

I am so frustrated with my practicum supervisor.  She was notified November 26 about the reference letter.  In the last 3 days I have texted her twice and emailed her twice and she still has not responded or written the reference letter, which is due tomorrow.  :angry:  I still have to write my written statement and my field practicum experience section.   I am so tired of grad applications!  I still have to do Western as well, which is due January 15

Anyone else tired of worrying about how to make yourself look good on paper??  Where is the pulling my hair out smiley? lol

I have never felt more annoying in my entire life. The last reference I'm waiting on assured me it would be up Friday night so I don't know what's going on. It's making me absolutely insane