Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Thank you cards sound like a good idea. You do want to be careful to not come across as trying to influence or bribe your referees before they write all of your letters if you want to give them gifts. I only gave my referees gifts after I was certain that I would not be asking them to write letters again so that my gifts would not be misinterpreted in any way and they would be preceived as genuine tokens of appreciation.

I think email/mailed cards are generally a better option. I always feel a bit weird about gifts with any dollar amount attached to them. I feel that, maybe homemade cookies are a nice gesture. Honestly, people are usually happy to help out and understand that as part of their rolls (especially professors). I think a hand written card is a nice way to go that will definitely make your referees feel their time was appreciated.

Oh yeah, and always let them know when you do get your acceptance of course! 

Those are both good suggestions. I agree that cards/gifts should be given only after all the letters of recommendation have been given. & Yes for sure it's important to let referees know of the application status-- I think they're also eager to know about whether or not we get accepted! 

Good evening everyone. I have been lurking this thread for a few days now and thought I would take the opportunity to ask a couple questions that seem to float around my head at the most opportune moments of the day (as soon as I close my eyes and try to fall asleep).

I've noticed there are a few posters currently enrolled in the Lakehead one year HBSW program. I've applied to both the Thunderbay and Orillia campus this year and it will be my first time writing a personal statement exam (and to my horror it will also be timed). I was hoping a few of you could shed some light on your experience with the application process last year. I would also love to hear feedback from those of you applying for your MSW - what has your experience been writing your statement of purpose?

Also if anyone has any useful links that they've used to craft their SOP, either external or within this forum, I would greatly appreciate it if you passed them along! I'll continue to navigate through these forums in the mean time.

I was feeling quite confident about my application until I accidentally stumbled upon this site and began reading about the volunteer work some of you have under your belts. I'm applying with a BA from UofG and was on the dean's honour list for the majority of my time there (My last 10 credits are mostly 90's with a couple exceptions). My background is in International Development and I've spent the last year, first as a volunteer, and shortly thereafter as part-time program staff with a youth center for at-risk teens. I've also taken two online seminars with CTRI to try and boost my chances a little. Can anyone comment on what they think my chances may be?

Thanks so much in advance and good luck to those of you who applied this year!

Edited by lickitysplit

Hi everyone, 

Hope applications went well for everyone :) I have been following the thread for a bit and have decided to make my own post. I am applying to U of T and Laurier's MSW 2 year program and Orillia's HBSW 1 year program, all of which I am very nervous about. I am in my last year majoring in Criminal Justice and Public Policy and minoring in Child and Family Studies. I have a 78% average, which makes me nervous it will not be high enough but have done extremely well this last semester. I have been volunteering with Children's Aid for the past two year in a variety of roles and have also volunteered with MADD as a board member. This past summer I worked at the Ministry of Education under the Quality and Assurance Licensing Branch and am now working part-time during my school year as a teaching assistant in a daycare. I am hoping this will be enough to get me into one of my choices but understand how competitive this program is. 

Good luck to everyone :)!

Hi everyone, 

Hope applications went well for everyone :) I have been following the thread for a bit and have decided to make my own post. I am applying to U of T and Laurier's MSW 2 year program and Orillia's HBSW 1 year program, all of which I am very nervous about. I am in my last year majoring in Criminal Justice and Public Policy and minoring in Child and Family Studies. I have a 78% average, which makes me nervous it will not be high enough but have done extremely well this last semester. I have been volunteering with Children's Aid for the past two year in a variety of roles and have also volunteered with MADD as a board member. This past summer I worked at the Ministry of Education under the Quality and Assurance Licensing Branch and am now working part-time during my school year as a teaching assistant in a daycare. I am hoping this will be enough to get me into one of my choices but understand how competitive this program is. 

Applied: MSW 2 year program at U of T and Laurier 

HBSW 1 year at Orillia 

Hi everyone, 

78% is on the low end but it will depend on your entire application.  Laurier is really hard to get into.  Last year I applied for the 2 yr MSW with an 85% average and 4 years of volunteer experience and was told that successful applicants had 5+ years experience.  But then reading on here, last years thread, some people got in with less than that.  So it really depends.  I am doing my BSW at UWaterloo this year and am applying to Laurier and UofT for the Advanced Standing MSW.

My status has now been updated on UofT as well!  As I have decided not to apply to Western (goodbye $100 application fee <_< ) there is nothing let to do for the application process but wait!

Is anyone else applying for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship?  I was sick for all of December so I haven't done it yet and I need to get on that.  The deadline for UofT is January 24 and the deadline for Laurier is February 3.  I am not too confident that I even have a shot but I figure I should at least try.  It is based on your last twenty courses and my average for the last twenty courses is only 85%.  It says minimum is A- (80-84%).  But I figure it is at least worth trying.

I found this website helpful - https://sites.google.com/site/gradappadvice/application-essays  Some of it seems more for the US but the tips are helpful in general.  I made sure to write specifically to each program I applied to.  So I researched on the Laurier website and found classes and programs that I was excited about and mentioned that in my personal statement.  You want to show them why you are a good choice for them.  I did the same thing with U of T, focused my statement on specific things about their program that I was wanting to get involved with.  Writing a generic statement is the kiss of death IMO.

Good evening everyone. I have been lurking this thread for a few days now and thought I would take the opportunity to ask a couple questions that seem to float around my head at the most opportune moments of the day (as soon as I close my eyes and try to fall asleep).

I've noticed there are a few posters currently enrolled in the Lakehead one year HBSW program. I've applied to both the Thunderbay and Orillia campus this year and it will be my first time writing a personal statement exam (and to my horror it will also be timed). I was hoping a few of you could shed some light on your experience with the application process last year. I would also love to hear feedback from those of you applying for your MSW - what has your experience been writing your statement of purpose?

Also if anyone has any useful links that they've used to craft their SOP, either external or within this forum, I would greatly appreciate it if you passed them along! I'll continue to navigate through these forums in the mean time.

I was feeling quite confident about my application until I accidentally stumbled upon this site and began reading about the volunteer work some of you have under your belts. I'm applying with a BA from UofG and was on the dean's honour list for the majority of my time there (My last 10 credits are mostly 90's with a couple exceptions). My background is in International Development and I've spent the last year, first as a volunteer, and shortly thereafter as part-time program staff with a youth center for at-risk teens. I've also taken two online seminars with CTRI to try and boost my chances a little. Can anyone comment on what they think my chances may be?

Thanks so much in advance and good luck to those of you who applied this year!

Hey everyone,

Quick question... does anybody know roughly when we might hear from Carleton for the 2-year MSW program? Mid-Feb?

I'm a recent graduate of UofO in economics and applied to their policy and social administration sub-discipline. I'm really hoping that my economics degree and experience at the House of Commons plus my 3 years of experience as a camp counsellor will be a bonus for my application.

Also, I admit that I fall victim to checking my app nearly every day... unrealistically expecting a changed status so soon hahaha.

Cheers,

.EC

It is my understanding that Carleton will notify unsuccessful applicants as early as late January and successful applicants sometime in February. I think you have some good experience under your belt, especially if you are applying to the social admin and policy stream.

Good luck!

Now it actually is the waiting game! I feel like my life is on hold until I find out about whether or not I've gotten into a program. My plans are so radically different (move back to Canada for school or move to Taiwan for work) and I can't plan for either until I know if I've gotten in! April seems so far away.

For those of you applying/applied to Lakehead's HBSW program, did you prepare by answering the sample questions they give you? Were they similar in any way? Am I okay if I have written personal statements for MSW programs in the past? This time limit is making me nervous. I have a poor attention span and to have to focus on something for 3.5 hours might just drive me crazy. 

Hi Jaylynn,

I haven't prepared as of yet, I planned to just use the written personal statements from the past and augment them.  I figure with what I have already written it shouldn't take me too long, but I may prepare for one of the questions specifically on Social Work as I have never taken a Social Work class and don't want to sound silly.   Fingers crossed it does not take 3.5 hours.

For those of you applying/applied to Lakehead's HBSW program, did you prepare by answering the sample questions they give you? Were they similar in any way? Am I okay if I have written personal statements for MSW programs in the past? This time limit is making me nervous. I have a poor attention span and to have to focus on something for 3.5 hours might just drive me crazy. 

I'm feeling a little crazy with the wait as well almost 3 months.  A lot of decisions have to be made as soon as I find out.  This is my second time applying, last year I was waitlisted.  I think this year is worse as I do not want to have to apply a 3rd time!

Now it actually is the waiting game! I feel like my life is on hold until I find out about whether or not I've gotten into a program. My plans are so radically different (move back to Canada for school or move to Taiwan for work) and I can't plan for either until I know if I've gotten in! April seems so far away.

Does anyone know when we find out about the Lakehead HBSW program acceptance.  I'm also applyin to the U of T 2 year and that is my first choice, but I don't know the timing.

Does anyone know when we find out about the Lakehead HBSW program acceptance.  I'm also applyin to the U of T 2 year and that is my first choice, but I don't know the timing.

My worst nightmare will be getting waitlisted at UofT and accepted into Lakehead since it starts in July. I know the chances of getting into UofT would be small but imagine getting off the waitlist in August after paying some tuition and starting at Lakehead lol. 

Alsoo, have you received the email from Lakehead with instructions on how to do the personal statement? They said it'd be today 

My worst nightmare will be getting waitlisted at UofT and accepted into Lakehead since it starts in July. I know the chances of getting into UofT would be small but imagine getting off the waitlist in August after paying some tuition and starting at Lakehead lol. 

Alsoo, have you received the email from Lakehead with instructions on how to do the personal statement? They said it'd be today 

No email yet.  I'll check tomorrow. OMG I didn't even think about what I would do if I got waitlisted.  Though the U of T waitlist barely moved last summer.  Fingers crossed.

Is anyone else applying for the Advanced Standing programs?  Laurier will be making notifications mid-late February and UofT by mid-March.  In a way it is nice that it is less time to wait but I am also freaked out bc I am currently in a BSW program so if I don't get in anywhere all my classmates will know it and I will feel like crap when I hear about everyone else getting in somewhere.  So I kind of like living in my little limbo bubble right now as well.  I could hear from Laurier within a month - yikes!

Interesting obversation - I couldn't figure out what an HBSW was (what is the H?) so I googled Lakehead's program.  Their answer as to what is the difference between an HBSW and  BSW is inaccurate.  It says and HBSW is Honours and is considered a 4th year degree while a BSW is a 3 year degree.  It also says you need their HBSW to be a registered social worker after graduating.  I am doing my BSW at UW right now.  It is an honours degree - 4th year degree - and graduates are eligible to be registered social workers.  Just thought I would note that in case anyone is looking at BSW programs and thinking that Lakehead's is better because it has an H in front of it.  The BSW program at UW is exactly the same quality of program.

Hi Jaylynn,

If you lay out the questions/statements for your MSW application in front of you during the test, I think you'll do just fine. You'll save a substantial amount of time by typing straight from your statements and this will give you extra time time answer the other questions that aren't in your notes.

This is exactly what happened to me last year! I was accepted into Lakehead but got wait listed for U of T. Although I know there was little movement on the wait list and only a few got in off of the wait list! It is unlikely that by July you would be taken off the wait list but think of it this way even if that WERE to happen: It is never a bad thing to get into the BSW because really it's the almost the same time frame anyway… 1 year BSW 1 year Master's or do a 2 year Master's! There are also many jobs you can do with a BSW and if you get your BSW from Lakehead an d then choose to do your Master's, you can actually work as a social worker while completing the 1 year masters. :) Hope that perspective helps! 

Is anyone else applying for the Advanced Standing programs?  Laurier will be making notifications mid-late February and UofT by mid-March.  In a way it is nice that it is less time to wait but I am also freaked out bc I am currently in a BSW program so if I don't get in anywhere all my classmates will know it and I will feel like crap when I hear about everyone else getting in somewhere.  So I kind of like living in my little limbo bubble right now as well.  I could hear from Laurier within a month - yikes!

I'm in the same boat, currently completing my BSW and all my classmates know I have applied. Since you're doing your BSW at Waterloo would you happen to know when they send out decisions for the Master's? I cannot seem to find it anywhere on the website! I am living in limbo too, and will need to make some quick decisions once I find out where I get in! 

I found out about my acceptance to the HBSW program in late April last year. I know they usually post decisions (which show directly on your account you make in the application process) between mid to late April. Hope that helps!