Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

I have never felt more annoying in my entire life. The last reference I'm waiting on assured me it would be up Friday night so I don't know what's going on. It's making me absolutely insane

Same...My references got the e-mail from U of T at the end of Oct, I emailed her just reminding her about it at the beginning of Dec and she said was going to do it shortly.. e-mailed her on Friday and no response.. I'm going crazy

I'm with you guys! I've never been more frustrated with other people! I got an email from the professor I has asked to do this in October complaining that he didn't realize it was just a letter, that there was another form that went along with it. I told him that numerous times! Goodness gracious. I'm worried that his recommendation won't be a strong as it would be because of that.

I am also worried about the quality of this reference.  Because if she is going to write it quickly when she finally gets around to it then it likely won't be a very strong reference.  I know my other two references are strong but this one holds a lot of weight because it's my practicum supervisor.

I haven't done my written statement yet.  I am still so sick and my brain is just not functioning today.  I am going to write the whole thing tomorrow morning.  Nothing like leaving it until the last minute!  I did the same thing with my Laurier statement too.  It seems to be the way I work.

I am also worried about the quality of this reference.  Because if she is going to write it quickly when she finally gets around to it then it likely won't be a very strong reference.  I know my other two references are strong but this one holds a lot of weight because it's my practicum supervisor.

I haven't done my written statement yet.  I am still so sick and my brain is just not functioning today.  I am going to write the whole thing tomorrow morning.  Nothing like leaving it until the last minute!  I did the same thing with my Laurier statement too.  It seems to be the way I work.

Good luck with your written statement! I hope you're feeling better.

In other news, I absolutely love UofT's application system. I love that I can submit everything online without having to worry about mailing anything. It's amazing! I wish more universities were like that.

Logged in this morning to see my reference was submitted, such a relief! I hope everyone here has a successful day today, soon this stressor will be out of our lives :)

i completely agree Daniiii! I get paranoid with mailing applications out, UofT definitely has the simplest, most efficient system. 

It was wonderful to wake up this morning and see that green check mark beside all of the necessary documents. Much less stressed! I'll get my Windsor and Laurier applications mailed off this week, and then it'll be the long, drawn-out waiting time. This is roughly the same amount of time I had to wait for a response concerning my job in Japan, and if it's anything like that, it'll be torture!

My reference submitted this afternoon and I just got my written statement done this evening!  Phew!  Have to go tomorrow to pick up my transcript and send that in but other than that I'm done.  Well, I still have to do Western but it's not due until January 15 so I can wait on that one until I stop coughing up a lung!  Now we wait!

jaylynn - you need to update your signature because I keep thinking you've already heard from schools LOL 

I actually read through last year's thread when I was laying in bed sick.  I hope you get in this year!  I'm sure you will actually, since you got on the waitlist last year.

jaylynn - you need to update your signature because I keep thinking you've already heard from schools LOL 

I actually read through last year's thread when I was laying in bed sick.  I hope you get in this year!  I'm sure you will actually, since you got on the waitlist last year.

hahaha my bad! I hope so, I definitely have more experience and my GPA went up a bit at the end of last year year, but I'm not sure if they look at your past applications and compare them. 

I hope we all get in. Glad you were able to get all of your materials in on time, very impressive!

Hey, i came across last year's thread a few days ago and i found it so helpful, and also pretty amazing how supportive everyone is on here!

By the way, i'm Sarah, and I'm not applying to MSWs this year, but am definitely hoping to in the near future (still working on getting more volunteer experience first). I'm applying to Lakehead Orillia's 1-year HBSW and McMaster's two-year post-degree BSW, and have been accepted into George Brown's fast-track Social Service Worker diploma (my backup). 

I graduated from Dal in May with a BA double major in Psych and Soc/Soc Anthro, but my avg isn't particularly high (low 70's), and I don't have much in the way of volunteer work (a hospital greeter/guide and I supervised Dal's psych study centre), so I took this year off to work and volunteer… and that's why I'm thinking a BSW would be helpful. 

Has anyone here taken/is currently taking/heard anything about Mac or Lakehead's BSW programs (or GB's SSW diploma..)? I heard Mac only accepts 20-25 and has around 85 applicants, and Lakehead Orillia gets around 450 and accepts like 100?

Ps. I just want to say that you all seem like you have amazing work/volunteer experience, and great averages so I hope you all get in somewhere this year for your MSWs!  :D

Hi everyone! 

I'm new to the forum, however I did read through last year's thread and found it incredibly insightful! I am currently applying to U of T's advanced standing MSW program.

Some background: In 2011 I wanted to apply to U of T's 2 year MSW program, however my grade in research methods was below the recommended mid-B average. As a result, I applied to York's 2 year MSW program, as well as their post-degree BSW program (my plan B ). I didn't get into the MSW program, but I did get into the Post-degree BSW, which I am now in the process of completing. During the post degree I managed to get an A in research methods and feel more confident about applying to the U of T's advanced standing program (I chose not to apply to York's this time around because I want a program with more of a clinical focus). I will admit that I am still extremely nervous about my application, as I do not have an exceptionally strong average 7.33 (on a 9 point scale) or a 3.63 (on a 4 point scale). While I do have a few years of volunteer and paid experience, I'm not sure that it's enough. The wait until March is going to be excruciating... 

Edited by SocialShawn

Hi everyone! 

I'm new to the forum, however I did read through last year's thread and found it incredibly insightful! I am currently applying to U of T's advanced standing MSW program.

Some background: In 2011 I wanted to apply to U of T's 2 year MSW program, however my grade in research methods was below the recommended mid-B average. As a result, I applied to York's 2 year MSW program, as well as their post-degree BSW program (my plan B ). I didn't get into the MSW program, but I did get into the Post-degree BSW, which I am now in the process of completing. During the post degree I managed to get an A in research methods and feel more confident about applying to the U of T's advanced standing program (I chose not to apply to York's this time around because I want a program with more of a clinical focus). I will admit that I am still extremely nervous about my application, as I do not have an exceptionally strong average 7.33 (on a 9 point scale) or a 3.63 (on a 4 point scale). While I do have a few years of volunteer and paid experience, I'm not sure that it's enough. The wait until March is going to be excruciating... 

Hi SocialShawn, 

Is that your GPA for the full 2 years at York? I am pretty certain that UofT calculates GPA by looking at the 4 or 5 most senior level credits (in other words, 10 half credits), so as long as you did better in your final year you should be okay! Regardless, 3.63 is pretty damn good, I don't know if it is different for the advanced standing but I was wait-listed with a 3.25 cumulative GPA when I originally applied to the 2 year program (I did do better in my last 2 years though). However, I also know someone who was rejected twice from the advanced standing because their GPA was a 3.4 so i have no clue how they ultimately decide who's good enough for them lol

Hi SocialShawn, 

Is that your GPA for the full 2 years at York? I am pretty certain that UofT calculates GPA by looking at the 4 or 5 most senior level credits (in other words, 10 half credits), so as long as you did better in your final year you should be okay! Regardless, 3.63 is pretty damn good, I don't know if it is different for the advanced standing but I was wait-listed with a 3.25 cumulative GPA when I originally applied to the 2 year program (I did do better in my last 2 years though). However, I also know someone who was rejected twice from the advanced standing because their GPA was a 3.4 so i have no clue how they ultimately decide who's good enough for them lol

Hi Jaylynn

That's for one year at York. Since I am applying for 2014 Angela said that they would use the GPA of first year of the two year post-degree program, and that they would convert it over to their 4 point scale. My CGPA for my first undergrad was a 3.23, however Angela said that they wouldn't actually look at that at all. It's difficult to say what's "good enough" since it's supposed to be based on a combination of factors. If I don't get in this time around my plan is to work for a year and maybe take summer courses and then re-apply for 2015.   

You're applying for the HBSW at Lakehead too? From what I understand, that's a good plan B! I didn't know about the 1-year HBSW program, otherwise I would have applied to that instead of the 2 year.  

Edited by SocialShawn

How do you convert a percentage to a 4.0 scale?  I thought my average was good (88%) but according to the website I found that is only a 3.3 which seems kind of low to me.

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/newstudents/transition/academic/grading

That's technically a 4.0 for an undergrad at UofT

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/newstudents/transition/academic/grading

That's technically a 4.0 for an undergrad at UofT

Oh good, that is much better.  The other thing I'm concerned about is that it says they only use courses at a 300 or 400 level for determining your GPA at UofT.  My last 1.5 years of school I decided to do a minor in Women's Studies so that time period is all 200 level courses.  I know Laurier just uses your last 10 courses which is where I get the 88%, but if you do only the 300 level courses my average is only 83% or 3.7 on the scale you just posted.  I am worried that won't be high enough, especially because I only have 4.5 years volunteering (approx 8-10 hrs a week) and then my practicum as experience.  No work experience at all.  I know I can't change it now but it is stressing me out.

Edited by smpalesh

Oh good, that is much better.  The other thing I'm concerned about is that it says they only use courses at a 300 or 400 level for determining your GPA at UofT.  My last 1.5 years of school I decided to do a minor in Women's Studies so that time period is all 200 level courses.  I know Laurier just uses your last 10 courses which is where I get the 88%, but if you do only the 300 level courses my average is only 83% or 3.7 on the scale you just posted.  I am worried that won't be high enough, especially because I only have 4.5 years volunteering (approx 8-10 hrs a week) and then my practicum as experience.  No work experience at all.  I know I can't change it now but it is stressing me out.

Hi Smpalesh,

Applying for such a competitive program can provoke all kinds of anxieties and stress, I can understand that first hand and have witnessed it just by reading though last year's grad forum thread. A 3.7 (aka an A-) is a great GPA though and your volunteer experience also sounds pretty great! Paid experience is not a requirement for admissions. It sounds like you have a strong application. 

I agree with SocialShawn, it sounds like you have  a pretty good application!  My understanding is that when they are screening applicants, they are looking at the overall fit with the program and creating a class with diverse experience.  At this point, it is really outside of your control.  You've done the best you can now all you can do is wait it out until March/April.  Yes, these will be the longest few months of your life! :D But hopefully you will come out of it with an acceptance letter :) :)

Hello everyone,

I've been following this board, and similar ones for years...so I figured I'd introduce myself. 

I applied for an MSW three years ago (Laurier and Windsor), and was rejected. Looking back, I can see why! 

Now, I have much more experience, knowledge, wisdom, and the confidence that I'm ready for it. Hopefully the admissions committee thinks so too.

I have a BA in English/Women's Studies and a Social Service Worker diploma.  Right now I am working full-time in the child welfare field.   

I have only applied to the U of T 2 year program....I'm excited about the specialization in Children and Families and the amazing faculty. The city will make for amazing learning opportunities too. 

Fingers crossed. :)

Thats a lot of volunteering! Since its so competitive I know theres no guarantees but I think you should be confident with your application :)

Hello everyone,

I've been following this board, and similar ones for years...so I figured I'd introduce myself. 

I applied for an MSW three years ago (Laurier and Windsor), and was rejected. Looking back, I can see why! 

Now, I have much more experience, knowledge, wisdom, and the confidence that I'm ready for it. Hopefully the admissions committee thinks so too.

I have a BA in English/Women's Studies and a Social Service Worker diploma.  Right now I am working full-time in the child welfare field.   

I have only applied to the U of T 2 year program....I'm excited about the specialization in Children and Families and the amazing faculty. The city will make for amazing learning opportunities too. 

Fingers crossed. :)

How did you like the Social Service Worker program?? I'm thinking of doing that if I don't get into the MSW

Hello everyone

Have been following this thread for awhile now, so I decided to finally post. 

I have applied to the advanced standing MSW at U of T. I have close to three years work experience at a local AIDS outreach society and my cumulative GPA is 3.9, I believe my final two years GPA is 4.0 (not too sure because my university is a 4.33 scale).

This is my first time applying and only MSW application, I am super nervous!

For those who are applying to UofT Advanced Standing what specialization did you choose?  So far I know only one other person (someone from my current BSW program) who is applying to the same one as me - Social Justice and Diversity.  Seems most people do either Child and Families or Health and Mental Health.

Wow, it feels like everyone else has such great experience! Luckily my GPA is quite good (3.6) and I'm confident that my own experience is relatively unique, but at the same time I'm not sure if I have enough diverse and related experience. I'm a teacher in Japan, where I run my high school's English club and I volunteer at every chance I get (which is unfortunately less than I would like to, given the language barrier). The volunteering is often for internationalization events or other English teaching opportunities (for example, I did a two free English classes for elderly people each week for about a year; now I do one for young children). I'm hoping that the spin I've put on my application with make me a desirable applicant and the comparative uniqueness of my experience will be a plus.

I am outrageously nervous! I've spent the past year following the 2013 thread, and all it's done is make me question my application.