Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Wow!  Congrats!  What stream did you choose?  Do you mind my asking what your qualifications are?  Hoping I have a chance to get in too! :)

Thanks! My fingers are crossed for you! You have an amazing GPA and great experience though - you're a shoe in!

Mental Health and Health with a focus on Mental Health.

3.62 GPA with an HBSc in Psych and completing a BSW.

Experience: Currently working casually as an Admin Assistant for York University's School of Social Work's Director of Graduate Studies, on various Social Work projects (paid); Currently working casually as a Child and Youth Worker in a residential group home for girls (paid); worked with Community and Legal Aid Services over the summer as a Social Work Intern (paid), Worked as a Clinical Assistant for a Psychiatrist, working with sex offenders (unpaid), taught conflict resolution to 5th grade students diagnosed with learning disabilities through a University group called Peace by Peace (volunteer); volunteered at Ontario Shores tutoring and co-facilitating groups in the Adolescent section; volunteered on a Rape Crisis distress line; volunteered at Jessies' Centre for Teenagers, working with teen moms. 

Edited by SocialShawn

OMG!

Logged into my old ROSI account and it looks like I was accepted!

Background! I did my first undergrad at U of T 

Registration - Fall 2014 - SW MSW 1
Degree Master of Social Work (1yr) (SW MSW 1) Status Invited Full-time or Part-time sws_help.png Full Time Session in which you entered program Fall 2014 Year of Study 1
Registration - Winter 2015 - SW MSW 1
collapse.gif

Congrats! so nice to see good news :) 

Congrats! so nice to see good news :)

Thanks! 

I just emailed Angela to confirm, all of a sudden I'm worried that I could be wrong.... 

lol I'm such a pessimist at times... 

Edited by SocialShawn

Hey Everyone!

Congrats to all who have been accepted thus far!

Regarding Dal. I received a letter dated February 7, 2014 stating that I have been recommended for admission and that the Dean has to sign off on the acceptance and that I would receive all other necessary information regarding registration etc within the new few weeks. I have not received this yet. I know I saw one other person here that received this letter. Has anyone received this package?

I also applied to U of Vic. and U of Cal. and have not heard anything from them. Has anyone heard from these schools or know when we can expect to hear from them?

Thanks! 

I just emailed Angela to confirm, all of a sudden I'm worried that I could be wrong.... 

lol I'm such a pessimist at times... 

My Conditional offer has been confirmed! :-) 

Wow, you have tons of experience!  I definitely don't have anything like that.  I did explain why I have less experience in my written statement though (I have a son, who I had right after high school, with multiple disabilities and I was home with him working intensively on his therapies until he was able to enter school at age 8 and then I went back to school) so hopefully they will be understanding.  I have 5 years of experience on a sexual assault crisis line and then my practicum this year which is also in the area of violence against women (sexual assault and domestic violence as well as multiple public education campaigns).  As for education I have a BA in Social Development Studies with a minor in Women's Studies and I am currently doing my BSW.

I am really hoping the mail is super fast and I get a letter today.  I am so anxious, and I am supposed to be focusing on a midterm this afternoon!

Thanks! My fingers are crossed for you! You have an amazing GPA and great experience though - you're a shoe in!

Mental Health and Health with a focus on Mental Health.

3.62 GPA with an HBSc in Psych and completing a BSW.

Experience: Currently working casually as an Admin Assistant for York University's School of Social Work's Director of Graduate Studies, on various Social Work projects (paid); Currently working casually as a Child and Youth Worker in a residential group home for girls (paid); worked with Community and Legal Aid Services over the summer as a Social Work Intern (paid), Worked as a Clinical Assistant for a Psychiatrist, working with sex offenders (unpaid), taught conflict resolution to 5th grade students diagnosed with learning disabilities through a University group called Peace by Peace (volunteer); volunteered at Ontario Shores tutoring and co-facilitating groups in the Adolescent section; volunteered on a Rape Crisis distress line; volunteered at Jessies' Centre for Teenagers, working with teen moms. 

Wow, you have tons of experience!  I definitely don't have anything like that.  I did explain why I have less experience in my written statement though (I have a son, who I had right after high school, with multiple disabilities and I was home with him working intensively on his therapies until he was able to enter school at age 8 and then I went back to school) so hopefully they will be understanding.  I have 5 years of experience on a sexual assault crisis line and then my practicum this year which is also in the area of violence against women (sexual assault and domestic violence as well as multiple public education campaigns).  As for education I have a BA in Social Development Studies with a minor in Women's Studies and I am currently doing my BSW.

I am really hoping the mail is super fast and I get a letter today.  I am so anxious, and I am supposed to be focusing on a midterm this afternoon!

Professional and personal experience are both extremely important and you have a wealth of both! If anything it shouldn't be understanding that they feel, but admiration... You've been able balance so much and still accomplish all that you have accomplished! That is truly impressive, if they don't see that I would be shocked! 

Thanks, that means a lot to me. :)  I also have two girls (younger than my son) so it is certainly crazy busy!  But I am determined to get there, and I hope that shone through in my application.

Professional and personal experience are both extremely important and you have a wealth of both! If anything it shouldn't be understanding that they feel, but admiration... You've been able balance so much and still accomplish all that you have accomplished! That is truly impressive, if they don't see that I would be shocked! 

Not a MSW applicant but is anyone else unable to reach York University by phone or is it just me? Every time I call them, all I get is a prerecorded menu on how to check your application on MyFile and then the system hangs up. I cannot get to a real person through the Admissions menu.

Argh, I just managed to get an representative after waiting a looooooooong time in the queue and then what happens? My prepaid phone runs out of credits (I am calling internationally). WHY can't they just accept emails?

Argh, I just managed to get an representative after waiting a looooooooong time in the queue and then what happens? My prepaid phone runs out of credits (I am calling internationally). WHY can't they just accept emails?

Hey I'm not sure if this will help but if you find the e-mail of the person in charge of admissions for your program you should be able to get a response via e-mail.  

If it is not an admissions related question find a list of faculty in the graduate program you are applying for through the York site and they should have an e-mail listed beside their name. 

Hey I'm not sure if this will help but if you find the e-mail of the person in charge of admissions for your program you should be able to get a response via e-mail.  

If it is not an admissions related question find a list of faculty in the graduate program you are applying for through the York site and they should have an e-mail listed beside their name. 

It is an admissions question. One of my transcripts that was listed as "received" before now shows up as "received" and "not yet received" (there are two lines for the same transcript, curiously). I wonder what's up.

Also, how can I find out who the person in charge is? This is my program: http://www.yorku.ca/graddvst/contact.html Should I email the address here?

It is an admissions question. One of my transcripts that was listed as "received" before now shows up as "received" and "not yet received" (there are two lines for the same transcript, curiously). I wonder what's up.

Also, how can I find out who the person in charge is? This is my program: http://www.yorku.ca/graddvst/contact.html Should I email the address here?

They should respond to you through this e-mail: dsgrads@yorku.ca

If that doesn't work try the office of admissions (it is a phone number though) all their information can be found at this site: http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/contact

As far as the actual problem goes I notice that your program deadline was extended, from past experience I can say that the York system can be a little finicky. It is likely that your issue will turn out to be a computer error. I had issues with my application when I first applied as well but it resolved itself eventually and multiple computer related problems throughout undergraduate studies. 

Also try orlene@yorku.ca

That's the Graduate Program Assistant for your program.

Edited by SocialShawn

OMG!

Logged into my old ROSI account and it looks like I was accepted!

Background! I did my first undergrad at U of T 

Registration - Fall 2014 - SW MSW 1
Degree Master of Social Work (1yr) (SW MSW 1) Status Invited Full-time or Part-time sws_help.png Full Time Session in which you entered program Fall 2014 Year of Study 1
Registration - Winter 2015 - SW MSW 1
collapse.gif

That's fantastic, congratulations!!

Yeah, I called that phone number and that is the exact number that ate up my 3 months worth of prepaid credits :(

Anyway, thanks a lot, b39 and socialshawn. I actually tweeted them in the mean time and the person who manages their twitter told me that she will try to get answers from the Admissions Office. I will wait for that to unravel before emailing.

Yeah, I called that phone number and that is the exact number that ate up my 3 months worth of prepaid credits :(

Anyway, thanks a lot, b39 and socialshawn. I actually tweeted them in the mean time and the person who manages their twitter told me that she will try to get answers from the Admissions Office. I will wait for that to unravel before emailing.

Hopefully they get through for you! York's admissions can be difficult to deal with at times... 

Hey Everyone!

Regarding Dal. I received a letter dated February 7, 2014 stating that I have been recommended for admission and that the Dean has to sign off on the acceptance and that I would receive all other necessary information regarding registration etc within the new few weeks. I have not received this yet. I know I saw one other person here that received this letter. Has anyone received this package?

I also applied to U of Vic. and U of Cal. and have not heard anything from them. Has anyone heard from these schools or know when we can expect to hear from them?

I applied to the two year MSW at U of Calgary, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm hoping it should be any day now because they had told me a while ago that we would hear by the end of February. Did you apply to the two year or one year program in Calgary?

Re: Dalhousie MSW - I also received the same 'acceptance' letter/date as Power Point but haven't received the follow up package. I did get an email last Weds from the Dean of Graduate Studies saying congrats and info about how to set up my email etc though. I also applied to UVic but nothing has changed on that front - still 'File Forwarded to Department' and it seems on their site they say end of April/May (argh! so far away!)

Hey Everyone!

Re: Dalhousie MSW - I also received the same 'acceptance' letter/date as Power Point but haven't received the follow up package. I did get an email last Weds from the Dean of Graduate Studies saying congrats and info about how to set up my email etc though. I also applied to UVic but nothing has changed on that front - still 'File Forwarded to Department' and it seems on their site they say end of April/May (argh! so far away!)

I'm glad to hear some people are hearing something, wish I had too! I haven't heard anything, and was worried about whether they received my information, but see that they did charge my credit card, so they must have gotten it.  I haven't gotten response to either email and nothing via mail! I obviously wasn't accepted in the first round if you guys are hearing something already, hopefully I am on a wait list! Thanks for the info! I also applied to the distance MSW at UVIC and haven't heard a peep, however, the website said not to expect any response until late March / early April, so I haven't been too anxious about that yet......

Hi,

I was wondering if the decisions sent out from U of T are only for advanced standing or for the 2-year program also?

I think it is advanced standing only for now, but I do believe that they sent them out a little bit earlier than expected so hopefully the 2 year decisions will also come a bit earlier than April! :) 

I think it is advanced standing only for now, but I do believe that they sent them out a little bit earlier than expected so hopefully the 2 year decisions will also come a bit earlier than April! :)

Thanks!