Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hey, I'm also applying to the 2 year at UofT it is so hard to wait so here's hoping that the results come sooner :)

Me too! I'm getting very nervous as well. I wonder how many applicants there were for the two year program this year.

Congrats to all the advanced standings who have got in!

I'm applying to the 2 year program at Laurier and UofT, and I've been lurking for awhile. The pressure's starting to get to me so I thought I should come out of the woodwork. Haha

It's awesome reading everyone's excitement at getting in to the advanced standing...fingers crossed that will be us in 5-6 weeks.  Last year I got my waitlist letter on April 16th.  Here's to hoping the acceptance comes sooner this year. 

Me too! I'm getting very nervous as well. I wonder how many applicants there were for the two year program this year.

I know I keep wondering that too and obsessively checking to see if it has changed to "decision made" even though I know it is too early haha. What experience do you have if you don't mind me asking? I see a lot of stuff from the advanced standing applicants so I'm wondering about the two year students 

I know I keep wondering that too and obsessively checking to see if it has changed to "decision made" even though I know it is too early haha. What experience do you have if you don't mind me asking? I see a lot of stuff from the advanced standing applicants so I'm wondering about the two year students

I do the same even though I know we still have over a month to go! I am also curious about the two year applicants' experience.

I am just finishing up my undergrad at UW with a Joint Honours in social Development Studies and Sexuality, Marriage and Family. I did two placements in my undergrad. One was as a counselor for individual and family counseling and the other was shorter doing community based research. I have also volunteered for the crisis line at a sexual assault support centre, at a youth shelter and as a peer mentor in mental health. I also did respite care one summer for two children who were deaf. I was a don for a year as well and while that isn't really direct experience it should be with how much counseling I did as part of the job!

Academic research wise I am doing a thesis on pediatric palliative social work, I have a presentation at a conference coming up and did a program evaluation for a restorative justice program.

Unfortunately while I did as much as I could in my undergrad I am applying right out of school so I know I won't have as much experience as others. I'm still hopeful though!

I do the same even though I know we still have over a month to go! I am also curious about the two year applicants' experience.

I am just finishing up my undergrad at UW with a Joint Honours in social Development Studies and Sexuality, Marriage and Family. I did two placements in my undergrad. One was as a counselor for individual and family counseling and the other was shorter doing community based research. I have also volunteered for the crisis line at a sexual assault support centre, at a youth shelter and as a peer mentor in mental health. I also did respite care one summer for two children who were deaf. I was a don for a year as well and while that isn't really direct experience it should be with how much counseling I did as part of the job!

Academic research wise I am doing a thesis on pediatric palliative social work, I have a presentation at a conference coming up and did a program evaluation for a restorative justice program.

Unfortunately while I did as much as I could in my undergrad I am applying right out of school so I know I won't have as much experience as others. I'm still hopeful though!

Wow that seems like a lot of experience, especially for right out of school (I'm in the same boat) 

Just wanted to say that I am accepted and mine STILL hasn't changed to decision made.  So I wouldn't worry too much about that.  I would think the 2 year acceptances might come a bit early because the advanced standing said mid-March and decisions were mailed out on March 3.

I know you didn't ask me directly but I'm applying to two year programs as well.

I have 4 years experience providing group facilitation to youth, assessment and intervention. I also have 2 years experience volunteering in the mental health sector. In terms of GPA, I have a cumulative > 3.7.

Just got my acceptance package in the mail today from U of T! So excited! It mentions that we could choose to start in the summer if we wanted…wonder what day that would be, although I think I've had enough of school and would love to have my summer off one more time. Congrats to everyone else, and for those who didn't get in there's still hope! 

Edited by dannika_star

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!!!!!!

Good luck to those who have yet to hear back, as well as to those who have been waitlisted and/or didn't get accepted. My first outright MSW rejection from York (two years ago) was very hurtful, so I have an idea of how difficult that can be. The post-degree BSW that I am currently finishing up (at York University) has made the world of difference for me and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to take it, while gaining more experience in the field!

Where there is a will, there is a way! It takes a lot of strength to get back out there and build so that you can try again! Stay strong!!!

As a side note... I have yet to receive my package in the mail (starting to develop ill feelings towards Canada Post lol). 

Edited by SocialShawn

@ Dannika Star:  If you go onto the U of T website and under 'timetables', you will find the 2014 summer schedule.  If you can manage to pick up at least one course, you will not regret it. The workload is pretty intense, especially that first semester. I didn't take a course over the summer but I know a few people who did and it was a good decision.

@ anyone wondering about the status note, if I recall correctly, last year it didn't change to 'decision made' until a few weeks after the letters had all gone out.

I know you didn't ask me directly but I'm applying to two year programs as well.

I have 4 years experience providing group facilitation to youth, assessment and intervention. I also have 2 years experience volunteering in the mental health sector. In terms of GPA, I have a cumulative > 3.7.

Hey thanks for responding :) it's great to see what everyone else has in their backgrounds hopefully we all get in :P

@ Dannika Star:  If you go onto the U of T website and under 'timetables', you will find the 2014 summer schedule.  If you can manage to pick up at least one course, you will not regret it. The workload is pretty intense, especially that first semester. I didn't take a course over the summer but I know a few people who did and it was a good decision.

@ anyone wondering about the status note, if I recall correctly, last year it didn't change to 'decision made' until a few weeks after the letters had all gone out.

Thanks for letting us know about the status thing that's a relief :) I saw from some other people that ROSI shows invited so I'll be relying on that :) 

When are the summer courses usually offered (month)?

You're welcome B39 :)

blh22: Summer courses are usually offered starting at the end of April until the end of June. Some are 1 week intensive courses, but I believe that they are often stream specific. I don't believe that they offer courses in July/August, so if you do decide to take a course, you will still have some vacation time before classes begin in September.

Hi everyone!

Today I've got my package too! I am in the seventh heaven :) Last night I couldn't go to sleep, it was well over 4am when I finally managed to turn my thoughts off!  LOL

I can't wait for the orientation session on April 7th! I hope I will meet some of you there :)

I really wish that all of you who are still in this waiting-limbo for the 2 Year MSW will get into a program. You just have to have  a little more patience.

On this note I have to say that yesterday I got so inpatient that I developed an obsession on checking the mail box. :rolleyes:

Congrats!  Myself and some others that are currently at my BSW program will be there on April 7.  One of my friends is also in the Gerontology specialization with you (I am in Social Justice and Diversity)

Hi everyone!

Today I've got my package too! I am in the seventh heaven :) Last night I couldn't go to sleep, it was well over 4am when I finally managed to turn my thoughts off!  LOL

I can't wait for the orientation session on April 7th! I hope I will meet some of you there :)

I really wish that all of you who are still in this waiting-limbo for the 2 Year MSW will get into a program. You just have to have  a little more patience.

On this note I have to say that yesterday I got so inpatient that I developed an obsession on checking the mail box. :rolleyes:

Congrats!  Myself and some others that are currently at my BSW program will be there on April 7.  One of my friends is also in the Gerontology specialization with you (I am in Social Justice and Diversity)

Thank you smpalesh! I hope to meet you and your friend too. It is so good that you are still in school! I am 10 years out from school, so it will be pretty hard to get my brain back in shape, not to tell that English is my second (third) language. I admire your strength and accomplishments so far! They are very lucky to have you in the program!

Are these courses offered through distance (online) or on campus? I wouldn't be able to take any anyway if they are offered on campus because I won't be finished my practicum here in Thunder Bay until first week of June.

@dannika_star: some of them are offered online.  You need to go on the FIFSW website and check out the summer schedule under the timetables link.  

So i was just checking who has viewed my linkedin profile recently. Turns out people from the grad schools I applied to have perused my profile. Anyone else notice that as well?

Hi, everyone!

I've been following this thread for several months now, and finally thought it was about time to jump into the conversation... the wait is driving me crazy!

Let me introduce myself.

I'll be graduating from my current program (BA Hons Psychology) this spring. I've enjoyed my psych program, but have chosen to pursue (hopefully) further education and an eventual career in social work.

I've applied to the following programs:

U of T - MSW (2 yr)

York - MSW (2 yr)

Laurier - MSW (2 yr)

Windsor - MSW (2yr)

York - Post Degree BSW

Lakehead (Orillia) - Post Degree BSW

Dalhousie - BSW

OISE - M.ED in Counselling Psychology

Brock - M.ADS (Master of Applied Disability Studies)

And I have to admit, even though I've applied to a bunch of schools, I'm absolutely convinced I won't get in anywhere (but I think most of us are guilty of having such thoughts!). My first choices would be the MSW programs at U of T, York, and Laurier, and after that, it'd be Lakehead's BSW. Of course though, I'll be thrilled to get in to any of the above (OISE and Brock a bit less so, as they're not social work programs).

I have decent experience, but all candidates do, don't they? In terms of paid work, I have experience as part of a retail management team (transferable skills, right?), as a technical writer, a lab facilitator at George Brown College, and then sales associate and cafe work from years ago. For volunteer experience, I have worked with a seniors organization which provides assistance to seniors living at home alone, with the York Region District School Board as a classroom volunteer, a program for students interested in environmental change, years spent volunteering in a hospital's emergency department, volunteer tutoring with the public library, and volunteer work at an animal shelter (...transfereable skills, right?). I also have completed Palliative Care Core Concepts training and Accessible Services for Colleges and Customer Service training. In terms of GPA, I'm in that awkward position of hovering on that fine line between a B+ and an A, which I know is lower than many applicants. My reference letters were good (one from a prof, one from my work place, and one from a volunteer supervisor), and I think my written statements were alright - however I haven't re read them since I've submitted them because I'm too paranoid of finding mistakes and hating myself for it, haha.

Anyways - so that's me in a nutshell. I look forward to waiting out these next excruciating weeks with you all! Congratulations to all those who have been accepted, and good thoughts being sent to those who have been waitlisted or otherwise :)

Hi, everyone!

I've been following this thread for several months now, and finally thought it was about time to jump into the conversation... the wait is driving me crazy!

Let me introduce myself.

I'll be graduating from my current program (BA Hons Psychology) this spring. I've enjoyed my psych program, but have chosen to pursue (hopefully) further education and an eventual career in social work.

I've applied to the following programs:

U of T - MSW (2 yr)

York - MSW (2 yr)

Laurier - MSW (2 yr)

Windsor - MSW (2yr)

York - Post Degree BSW

Lakehead (Orillia) - Post Degree BSW

Dalhousie - BSW

OISE - M.ED in Counselling Psychology

Brock - M.ADS (Master of Applied Disability Studies)

And I have to admit, even though I've applied to a bunch of schools, I'm absolutely convinced I won't get in anywhere (but I think most of us are guilty of having such thoughts!). My first choices would be the MSW programs at U of T, York, and Laurier, and after that, it'd be Lakehead's BSW. Of course though, I'll be thrilled to get in to any of the above (OISE and Brock a bit less so, as they're not social work programs).

I have decent experience, but all candidates do, don't they? In terms of paid work, I have experience as part of a retail management team (transferable skills, right?), as a technical writer, a lab facilitator at George Brown College, and then sales associate and cafe work from years ago. For volunteer experience, I have worked with a seniors organization which provides assistance to seniors living at home alone, with the York Region District School Board as a classroom volunteer, a program for students interested in environmental change, years spent volunteering in a hospital's emergency department, volunteer tutoring with the public library, and volunteer work at an animal shelter (...transfereable skills, right?). I also have completed Palliative Care Core Concepts training and Accessible Services for Colleges and Customer Service training. In terms of GPA, I'm in that awkward position of hovering on that fine line between a B+ and an A, which I know is lower than many applicants. My reference letters were good (one from a prof, one from my work place, and one from a volunteer supervisor), and I think my written statements were alright - however I haven't re read them since I've submitted them because I'm too paranoid of finding mistakes and hating myself for it, haha.

Anyways - so that's me in a nutshell. I look forward to waiting out these next excruciating weeks with you all! Congratulations to all those who have been accepted, and good thoughts being sent to those who have been waitlisted or otherwise :)

Welcome to the forum!

I applied to the MSW at Ottawa U (however it's only given in french), they are supposed to send out their answers no later than 10 march.  I have not heard from Dal!  I am applying into BSW as they don't accept non-BSW candidates for the MSW.    

I just saw Ottawa U accepts applications for the MSW program until April 1st. DId u send your CV and letter of intent in French or English? I heard that if u take the French classes u are able to write your papers in English because it is bilingual school.. ?