Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

I agree with this completely.  I am actually incredibly surprised that people are applying to a graduate level program in social work with hardly any experience.  I don't think it is unreasonable in the slightest for a grad program to say, "Sorry, you need some experience, try again later."  I also don't agree that it is impossible to get experience.  I have 3 children, multiple health problems, and have been in school full-time for the last 5 years and I still managed to volunteer.  I volunteer 8 hours a week on a crisis line and have been doing so for the last 5 years so it adds up.  Showing a committment to the field of social work by volunteering shows that you really want to be in the field.  I know that's not want people want to hear, but there are many qualified applicants who do have the experience; it's not all about what you can do in a classroom.  Class work vs. field work is very different.

I think volunteer/paid experience is crucial for the 2 year MSW program. It shows commitment to the field, and proves you've tested your interest and have a realistic idea of what you're getting into. I understand it's frustrating, but it's so important.

I think U of T is one of the most lax with this expectation though, and I've be told grades weigh heaviest. 

2 years ago I applied to Laurier and Windsor, and was rejected from both because lack of experience. The past 2 years have allowed me to gain so much more experience and exposure to the field.  

Looking back, I can honestly say I am happy I was rejected in 2012, because I really wasn't ready. I will get so much more out of the program now with the knowledge and experience I've gained. I have about 3000 hours now. Fingers crossed I get in. 

I thought I'd contribute to the discussion on experience. When I applied, I had some volunteer experience in mental health (an hour a week at a hospital for 2 years) but the majority of my experience (paid and volunteer) was actually in human research. After I had been accepted to Laurier I found out that their program was trying to become more research oriented which led me to conclude that I had been accepted because of my research experience. Of course there is no way for me to prove that this was the reason but my guess is that it helped me stand out from other applicants.

So if you have research experience like being a research assistant or lab manager in a psychology lab for example than I think these experiences can be valued by the admissions committee :)

I agree with this completely.  I am actually incredibly surprised that people are applying to a graduate level program in social work with hardly any experience.  I don't think it is unreasonable in the slightest for a grad program to say, "Sorry, you need some experience, try again later."  I also don't agree that it is impossible to get experience.  I have 3 children, multiple health problems, and have been in school full-time for the last 5 years and I still managed to volunteer.  I volunteer 8 hours a week on a crisis line and have been doing so for the last 5 years so it adds up.  Showing a committment to the field of social work by volunteering shows that you really want to be in the field.  I know that's not want people want to hear, but there are many qualified applicants who do have the experience; it's not all about what you can do in a classroom.  Class work vs. field work is very different.

I understand where applicants with a lack of experience are coming as sometimes your educations steers you in the direction of where you want to go career wise in which case individuals do not always realize or are advised to do some volunteer work to reinforce their later developed interest.

Fortunately, this is not the case for me I am just curious to know if either U of T or Laurier had specific documents in their admissions package requesting applicants record these hours? I have had a look through both school's packages briefly awhile ago and do not recall seeing this, but since I am not applying for 2014 I could have overlooked this or something may have changed from when I did look. I believe I recall Ottawa requesting an outline of applicants' hours for volunteer work whether paid or unpaid...

I agree with Thumper86 that research experience is definitely a bonus (at U of T, they are all about research and a few students have already published)--but don't freak out if you don't have any of that type of experience because most applicants don't.  My feeling is that they are really looking for maturity.  Not necessarily by age (there are many younger students under 25yrs), but by attitude.  Even if your only experience is working cash at the local grocery store, if you can demonstrate maturity and fit with the program, you are in a good position.

The schools that give volunteer hour cut-offs are likely using those numbers to ruthlessly eliminate applicants in the early stages before the application makes it to the admissions committee. U of T gives Gpa cut-offs which are hard cut-offs (you wont get reviewed if your gpa is under a B, no matter what else you bring to the table). Everything else is balanced against each other. A strong candidate with limited experience can get in--but you have to be strong in other areas. I'm assuming that references go a long way for these applicants.    

I have been waiting to hear from the University of Calgary and haven't heard anything yet! Did you apply for the two year or one year program? 

I applied to the one year program. I do know someone who didn't hear from Calgary last year until quite late in the game, so take that for what it's worth. 

Just an update. For those who applied to the 2 year program at Windsor, they are now sending acceptances out. I received an email earlier this afternoon.

DanielEPS, did you get accepted to Windsor? I didn't receive an email today so I'm thinking that probably means I've been rejected and will hear back via mail...

DanielEPS, did you get accepted to Windsor? I didn't receive an email today so I'm thinking that probably means I've been rejected and will hear back via mail...

Yes, I was accepted. Do not lose hope it's still very early.

Congratulations!! This is your first option or Laurier?

First and foremost, thank you very much!

In terms of your question, I'd rather not say on a public forum. However, I'm very excited to be accepted.

Yes, I was accepted. Do not lose hope it's still very early.

Thanks, DanielEPS - sometimes I think we all need a little reminder to have a little hope!

Heartfelt &  well deserved congratulations to you! :D

I applied to the one year program. I do know someone who didn't hear from Calgary last year until quite late in the game, so take that for what it's worth. 

Thanks! Congratulations on your acceptance :) I applied for the two year program 

Thanks, DanielEPS - sometimes I think we all need a little reminder to have a little hope!

Heartfelt &  well deserved congratulations to you! :D

Thank you very much! I will spread positive vibes for you.

Hey, so I know there are a couple of us on this thread who are also waiting to hear back about BSW apps at Dalhousie. Do any of you know when people heard back in previous years? I am pretty sure that MSW Dalhousie applicants have already been contracted, but it seem seems like BSW might be later....

From what I hear it is a great program and I so I am excited to find out if I got in!

I want to be clear that I wasn't saying that experience or volunteer work doesn't matter - everything you can do enriches you as a person, and as a candidate for an MSW.  What I was trying to convey is that helping your grandmother pay her bills can be social work experience, if you come at it the right way.  I hope that U of T does indeed look at applications holistically.  I'm sure there are many people who have been in caregiver/unpaid roles that perhaps didn't allow as much time for volunteering, but whose experience would mirror volunteering.  

As someone with significant student loan debt, no help from my family, and living in a very expensive city, I don't have a problem saying that I didn't spend 20 hours a week volunteering for the last ten years, and instead have had a full time job.  I explained my choices in my application, and they'll work for U of T or they won't, and if necessary, I'll do it again next year.  So much of even being able to apply to grad school speaks to privileges that not everyone has had the opportunity to leverage, and I think it's important we recognize that winding roads are okay.  Not everyone's life is the same, and wouldn't it be boring if they were!

On a crazier note: I can't stop checking ROSI, even though I know they won't be posting anything for weeks!  I admire anyone who can wait for the envelope :-)

Hey everyone! congratulations to all who received acceptances already! 

I applied to Lakehead 1 year HBSW but i know acceptance won't be out until Mid-April as that's what they told us via email...

I also applied to the UofT 2 yr MSW and their website says most acceptances come out in March. Anyone got a 2 year MSW from UofT yet? My application still says "Under Review"

Excited but nervous  :unsure:

I applied to Lakehead 1 year HBSW but i know acceptance won't be out until Mid-April as that's what they told us via email...

I also applied to the UofT 2 yr MSW and their website says most acceptances come out in March. Anyone got a 2 year MSW from UofT yet? My application still says "Under Review"

Hi!

I applied to the 2 year MSW at U of T as well, and haven't heard back - as far as I know, no one has yet, so try not to worry!

For Lakehead (I applied to that program as well), on March 3rd Sonya sent out an email saying that decisions will be ready in 3 weeks. So, it's looking like it'll be early April! I know there's not too much of a difference between early and mid April, but in my opinion, we're all dying to hear back so badly that one week DOES count for something!!

Best of luck!

U of T is very good (dare I say, excellent ;) ) at sending out results on time. Only the advanced standing hears back in March.  2 years need to wait until April to hear back.

Good luck to everyone!

Re: UofT - Not sure where you are reading but 2 year MSW decisions come out in April.  Directly from their website - "Decisions for the Two-Year Full-Time Program will be mailed out by mid-April."

I want to be clear that I wasn't saying that experience or volunteer work doesn't matter - everything you can do enriches you as a person, and as a candidate for an MSW.  What I was trying to convey is that helping your grandmother pay her bills can be social work experience, if you come at it the right way.  I hope that U of T does indeed look at applications holistically.  I'm sure there are many people who have been in caregiver/unpaid roles that perhaps didn't allow as much time for volunteering, but whose experience would mirror volunteering.  

As someone with significant student loan debt, no help from my family, and living in a very expensive city, I don't have a problem saying that I didn't spend 20 hours a week volunteering for the last ten years, and instead have had a full time job.  I explained my choices in my application, and they'll work for U of T or they won't, and if necessary, I'll do it again next year.  So much of even being able to apply to grad school speaks to privileges that not everyone has had the opportunity to leverage, and I think it's important we recognize that winding roads are okay.  Not everyone's life is the same, and wouldn't it be boring if they were!

On a crazier note: I can't stop checking ROSI, even though I know they won't be posting anything for weeks!  I admire anyone who can wait for the envelope :-

very true.  Can I ask how you are checking ROSI?  I tried it just told me my student # is not valid....is that how you check?

Thanks and good luck to all.  It will be a tough month...fingers crossed ROSI lets you know sooner.

Hello all MSW lovers!! What a great forum.. I am new here and just needed some motivation to feel good.. I am currently on the waitlist for Laurier Advance Program and feeling very nervous because I dont know when decisions will be made :( any insight will help

very true.  Can I ask how you are checking ROSI?  I tried it just told me my student # is not valid....is that how you check?

Thanks and good luck to all.  It will be a tough month...fingers crossed ROSI lets you know sooner.

I think you need to be a current UofT student to check ROSI. If you're applying from another university you just have to wait for the envelope. :(