Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Thank you very much! I see that you updated your signature to wait listed. Would you still like me to check?

No, it's fine thank you! :)

I received also an e-mail from Windsor, saying the following:

''We have now begun to send out offers to the MSW Regular Track program starting in September, 2014.  We have sent out our first 30 offers of admission.  Each applicant will have two weeks from the date of their letter to either accept or decline the offer.  Should an applicant decline, or not respond by the deadline, that offer will then be rescinded and sent to the next ranked applicant.  We will continue this process until all 30 positions have been filled.''

I want to think I am on the wait-list and be positive but maybe they don't reject anybody, and it's just a very long wait-list LOL.  That said, at least we have a glimmer of hope for the next few weeks!  And wow, that was early, probably trying to beat Laurier for the first pics :)

All in all it does just sound like a very long wait list. I imagine there'll be quite a bit of movement when UofT and Laurier send out their decisions.

I am also waiting to hear back from U of Calgary for the 2 year MSW program. Their website states that they are sending out emails as well as letters--but the letters could take till May to receive.

Sigh....

Thanks for writing back! I saw that on their website too. Just out of curiosity, do you mind me asking what kind of experience you are applying with? It's so nice having others on this site to chat with about this process

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum as well. I applied to Laurier, U of T & Windsor for the 2 year MSW programs. It appears that I am wait listed for Windsor as I received that email also. Anxiously waiting!! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!!

Hi everybody!

I've been obsessively checking this forum everyday and decided to join the convo. I've applied to the 2-yr york and toronto msw. Congrats to everyone accepted into the advanced standing! 

I had a question, did anyone get that invitation to the York U spring open house in April. The way the email is worded makes it seem like I've been accepted, but I know thats the not the case. I'm thinking everyone got it too, can anyone confirm?!

Heres the part that made my heart skip a beat, only to be disappointed with a "no decision yet" on myfile.

"Come and see where you will study, learn, live, rest, relax, work-out and eat." 

Hi everybody!

I've been obsessively checking this forum everyday and decided to join the convo. I've applied to the 2-yr york and toronto msw. Congrats to everyone accepted into the advanced standing! 

I had a question, did anyone get that invitation to the York U spring open house in April. The way the email is worded makes it seem like I've been accepted, but I know thats the not the case. I'm thinking everyone got it too, can anyone confirm?!

Heres the part that made my heart skip a beat, only to be disappointed with a "no decision yet" on myfile.

"Come and see where you will study, learn, live, rest, relax, work-out and eat." 

Hey, 

I did not get that e-mail (I also applied to York for the 2 year program) but maybe that's because I am already a York student at the moment? 

I know some friends applying to teacher's college have gotten open house and housing information e-mails too

Hi everybody!

Hi there! I applied for that 2-year MSW program at York, but I did not receive that email that you got. I just checked my "myfile" and it also says "no decision yet".

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask if anyone has received an acceptance letter or email for Windsor's 2-year MSW program? I received that email that states they are starting to send out their letters of acceptance and that accepted applicants will have 2 weeks to respond, but I am wondering if anyone has actually received one of those letters yet!

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask if anyone has received an acceptance letter or email for Windsor's 2-year MSW program? I received that email that states they are starting to send out their letters of acceptance and that accepted applicants will have 2 weeks to respond, but I am wondering if anyone has actually received one of those letters yet!

I'm pretty sure it's by e-mail we will receive the no or the yes - DanielEPS is a member of this forum and got accepted last week into the program via email if I remember well, check in the forum's history and you will see.  Oh! and good luck :) :)

Edited by TS28

You have to ask for a meeting...and I had to offer a number of gentle reminders to get it.  I agree it's so great to have this forum.

FYI last year answers came out mid-Aug. I looked at the 2012 results people got answers early April.  Fingers crossed.

Thank you for letting me know!  I'm feeling less anxious because I'm formulating more of a "plan B"... even if that plan's just emailing to ask for feedback ;-)

Hi everybody!

Welcome, superanxious!  I haven't applied to York, but wanted to add that I called and emailed them about their program last year, and found them great on the phone for answering questions.  If you're unsure, I think it's reasonable to call them to ask.  The fewer stressors in our lives as we're waiting for these decisions, the better :-)  And good luck!

I'm coming from an education background and career! I'm hoping that Calgary will let us know sooner rather than later. How about yourself?

Yes I agree! :) I have a bit of a mixed background, started out in fine arts and have done lots of volunteering with art therapy groups. I've also taken some psychology and right now am working full time at a recreation club for adults with intellectual disabilities 

Hi Everyone!

I've been obsessing over this forum, waiting to hear back from schools. I have applied for the 2 year MSW at UofT and the 2 Year Qualifying year MSW at McGill.

I was accepted into McGill's program on Tuesday, and I am anxiously awaiting to hear back from UofT. If I was accepted to UofT I am not sure what school I would choose. Does anyone have any insight into the two programs. Is one more reputable?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

I've been obsessing over this forum, waiting to hear back from schools. I have applied for the 2 year MSW at UofT and the 2 Year Qualifying year MSW at McGill.

I was accepted into McGill's program on Tuesday, and I am anxiously awaiting to hear back from UofT. If I was accepted to UofT I am not sure what school I would choose. Does anyone have any insight into the two programs. Is one more reputable?

Thanks!

Hi, msvuBCHY, and congratulations on your acceptance to McGill - that's awesome!  I don't know much about their SW program, but I can tell you that I dreamt about going to McGill from the time I was 6 until I was about 16 ;-)  It's a great campus, in a wonderful city, and the school as a whole has an enviable reputation.  I'd say the same is true of U of T, so it sounds like you may have a tough decision on your hands if you get accepted to both :-)

Good luck with U of T!

Hi Everyone!

Thanks!

Congrats on McGill!!

Do you speak French by any chance? If not, I think you should find out if this will limit your internship opportunities. Something else to keep in mind, your internship supervisors probably won't be able to hire you after you graduate if you aren't bilingual due to language French bylaws. So it's worth thinking about where you want to establish professional contacts

Will you end up with an MSW when you're done or do you need to apply again after completing the qualifying program? If you have to apply again, I'd go to U of T over McGill because it's a sure thing whereas McGill isn't.

If you are bilingual, it's a lot less expensive to live in Montreal compared to Toronto, so that's a good incentive. Montreal is also a fun city for young students (although winters are much longer and harsher than in Toronto).

Good luck!!

Edited by jenste

Hi everyone!

I need some advice. Today, I received my acceptance letter from OISE. I'm thrilled and everything, but as you can see by my signature, I've applied to many schools and I'm really hoping to get into an MSW or post degree BSW program. However, OISE is the only school I've heard back from as of yet (though I'm assuming I've been rejected from Windsor because I didn't get an email). Normally I'd wait (somewhat) patiently to hear back from other schools, but OISE has given us three weeks from the offer date (March 14) to accept - add in postage time (you have to send the reply in by mail) and I'm doubtful that I'll hear back from all the other schools before I have to send my OISE answer off.

So here's my question - do any of you happen to know what the best way to tackle this situation is? Is it possible that I accept OISE's offer and then if I do get into one of the programs I'm hoping more for, could I cancel?

Any info you have on what the procedure would be is greatly appreciated...

Thanks all!

Hi everyone!

I need some advice. Today, I received my acceptance letter from OISE. I'm thrilled and everything, but as you can see by my signature, I've applied to many schools and I'm really hoping to get into an MSW or post degree BSW program. However, OISE is the only school I've heard back from as of yet (though I'm assuming I've been rejected from Windsor because I didn't get an email). Normally I'd wait (somewhat) patiently to hear back from other schools, but OISE has given us three weeks from the offer date (March 14) to accept - add in postage time (you have to send the reply in by mail) and I'm doubtful that I'll hear back from all the other schools before I have to send my OISE answer off.

So here's my question - do any of you happen to know what the best way to tackle this situation is? Is it possible that I accept OISE's offer and then if I do get into one of the programs I'm hoping more for, could I cancel?

Thanks all!

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I'm stuck in the same predicament with Windsor. They have given me 2 weeks to decide (from the 14th as well) and I won't have found out about OGS scholarships yet.

I sent an email to the graduate secretary, but haven't received a response as of yet. I would recommend you do the same; It can't hurt to try.

Edited by DanielEPS

I just received an acceptance email from Laurier this afternoon for their two year MSW program. Looks like they are starting to process these acceptances.

Problem is that I have to respond by April 11 and we aren't supposed to hear back from UofT until the 15...

Hi everyone!

Thanks all!

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Well, the life is really ironic. I didn't get into the OISE MEd program and I had to accept the MSW offer, you did it but hoping for social work. You probably won't hear from all the universities that you applied for but I think you have chance to hear from Laurier at least. It seems that they started to send out the acceptance/rejection letters for the 2 year program :)

I just got an e-mail saying the Faculty of SW at Lakehead was recommending me for admission to the advanced standing program. Having already done a couple of degrees there it's tempting (Thunder Bay = saunas and delicious Finnish pancakes), but I think I'm sticking with Laurier.

I'm surprised Lakehead isn't a bit quicker sending out acceptances given that it's a bit of an underdog. It would've been a much more appealing option had I not already paid Laurier a deposit weeks ago. Ah well...I hope anyone else who applied there got some good news as well! I highly recommend it as a school and T-Bay's an awesome town. Please excuse me...I have to go reminisce and try not to trade in my sensible Laurier acceptance in for another delightful year up north. 

I did not sound nearly as excited to get in to Laurier in that post as I actually am lol!

Hey LynnEy,

Congratulations on your acceptance. I bet you're deservingly pretty excited about it. I also applied to Laurier. Based on your acceptance yesterday, I'm assuming I didn't not get in at this point. 

I am interested in reapplying next year, and thus would like to improve my application. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I am wondering if you would highlight some of your experience and what your average was in your final year at university. 

Kind Regards, 

Erin 

Hey LynnEy,

Congratulations on your acceptance. I bet you're deservingly pretty excited about it. I also applied to Laurier. Based on your acceptance yesterday, I'm assuming I didn't not get in at this point. 

I am interested in reapplying next year, and thus would like to improve my application. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I am wondering if you would highlight some of your experience and what your average was in your final year at university. 

Kind Regards, 

Erin 

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Laurier was suppose to begin sending out acceptances in the first two weeks of April. Seeing as they just started and there is more than a week until april; I think there is ample time for you to receive an offer.

Edited by DanielEPS