Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hey LynnEy,

Congratulations on your acceptance. I bet you're deservingly pretty excited about it. I also applied to Laurier. Based on your acceptance yesterday, I'm assuming I didn't not get in at this point. 

I am interested in reapplying next year, and thus would like to improve my application. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I am wondering if you would highlight some of your experience and what your average was in your final year at university. 

Kind Regards, 

Erin

Hey Erin, I know that Laurier sends out emails over a couple weeks for acceptances so you have plenty of time to hear back! I'm happy to share some of my experiences with you though. Over the past year I've had two internships: one as a counselor at a family counseling agencey and one as a researcher at the Centre for Community Based Research. I am so lucky to be able to do these placements as a part of my undergrad and even though they were both only 8 hours a week I think theywere a big part of my acceptance. I also was a research assistant and a don for one year, volunteered at a crisis line and youth shelter and am doing a thesis. As well, I think it's important to mention that I applied to the CPPO stream. I don't know if they're sending out acceptances according to streams but I heard less people apply to CPPO than IFG so that may have been a factor as well.

For everyone: I know Laurier's websit says they inform you about the OGS byApril 1st. Does anyone know when Toronto lets you know?

Hey Erin, I know that Laurier sends out emails over a couple weeks for acceptances so you have plenty of time to hear back! I'm happy to share some of my experiences with you though. Over the past year I've had two internships: one as a counselor at a family counseling agencey and one as a researcher at the Centre for Community Based Research. I am so lucky to be able to do these placements as a part of my undergrad and even though they were both only 8 hours a week I think theywere a big part of my acceptance. I also was a research assistant and a don for one year, volunteered at a crisis line and youth shelter and am doing a thesis. As well, I think it's important to mention that I applied to the CPPO stream. I don't know if they're sending out acceptances according to streams but I heard less people apply to CPPO than IFG so that may have been a factor as well.

For everyone: I know Laurier's websit says they inform you about the OGS byApril 1st. Does anyone know when Toronto lets you know?

I'm really happy to hear that they send out the emails over a couple of weeks; that makes me slightly more hopeful. Thanks!

I'm really happy to hear that they send out the emails over a couple of weeks; that makes me slightly more hopeful. Thanks!

i feel the exact same way. a little bit of my anxiety has gone away ha ! 

Hello all,

I just came across this forum last week. Does anyone know if York U and Ryerson U have sent out the acceptances to their MSW Advanced programs yet? My files are in "No Decision Yet" status, but I'm worried this really means "Thanks but no thanks!" I was rejected to Dalhousie and UVic's MSW programs already. My gpa is 3.8, I have a BSW, and I currently work for a government health care agency. However after reading some of your posts, I don't think my personal statement(s) were very strong. At least, this is the only part of my application(s) that I feel nervous about. Although at the time, I thought they were good! Do the statements make or break an application? I feel so disappointed. I didn't realize how competitive MSW programs are. If anyone knows anything about York or Ryerson, I would appreciate an update.

Thanks!

OMG I am freaking out..I am still waitlisted with Laurier for their advance program not feeling good right now. I have not heard back from them

Their waitlist is open until July 31 which means you could hear back any time until then, or you could not hear at all.  Unfortunately a waitlist spot is no guarantee of admission.  Laurier has 28 spots and keeps 30 people on the waitlist.  It sucks but hopefully you'll hear something soon.

OMG I am freaking out..I am still waitlisted with Laurier for their advance program not feeling good right now. I have not heard back from them

Does anyone happen to know what date the U of T 2 year MSW waiting list closes, or when it's typically closed in previous years?  

I know that the decisions aren't expected for a few weeks, but this would be helpful info for me as I decide what my next steps will be.  I'm not losing all hope, but I'm realistically looking at this year as a likely rejection or wait list situation, and trying to plan my moves from that.  (Also, it's giving me something to do while I'm waiting, other than obsessively reloading ROSI despite the fact that it won't have anything on it for another two weeks.)

And congratulations to everyone receiving their acceptances!  

Does anyone happen to know what date the U of T 2 year MSW waiting list closes, or when it's typically closed in previous years?  

I know that the decisions aren't expected for a few weeks, but this would be helpful info for me as I decide what my next steps will be.  I'm not losing all hope, but I'm realistically looking at this year as a likely rejection or wait list situation, and trying to plan my moves from that.  (Also, it's giving me something to do while I'm waiting, other than obsessively reloading ROSI despite the fact that it won't have anything on it for another two weeks.)

And congratulations to everyone receiving their acceptances!  

The wait list closed the day before the first day of class.  At least that is what happened last year.  I got a letter a couple of days later with the official notice that the list closed.  Last summer was rough as the list barely moved all summer, though it looks like it moved in the spring. 

Congrats to everyone who knows...fingers crossed for the rest of us.

Thank you LynnEy for responding to my question and for your advice. It's not too bold of me to ask… could you also let me know what your average was in your final year. I'm sorry for the intrusive question. I'd just like to know where I stand :)

Thank you

The wait list closed the day before the first day of class.  At least that is what happened last year.  I got a letter a couple of days later with the official notice that the list closed.  Last summer was rough as the list barely moved all summer, though it looks like it moved in the spring. 

Congrats to everyone who knows...fingers crossed for the rest of us.

Thanks for the info!  Also, that's kind of the worst, and I can understand that last summer would have been rough waiting.  I was hoping U of T took an approach similar to Laurier, which someone mentioned above.  A nice, civilized date at the end of July, so we're not all biting our nails right down to it and can move on/make plans!  

Good luck with your application this year!  I'm thinking positive thoughts for you and all of us :-)   

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted before but I have been following the thread for awhile. For all the people who have applied to the MSW Windsor 2 year course, I have yet to receive an acceptance letter but my status updated to accepted on their web site. I also emailed a few days ago after I read everyone got an email and I got that generic response that everyone is talking about. So, if you haven't actually received something official that says you are accepted/ wait-listed/ rejected there is still hope! In the email it stated in bold letters that they would not disclose your status via email and you would hear from the university via Canada Post if you are accepted. When all 30 spots had been filled, they will then send out a generic email to all wait-listed / rejected candidates indicating the program is now full.

As with everything in academia, these things take time and even though the department may have sent their recommendations for acceptance to Grad Studies, it is ultimately up to the Faculty of Graduate Studies to send out the letter of acceptance...they are notoriously slow. Your best bet is the website for current info!

Good Luck Everyone!

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted before but I have been following the thread for awhile. For all the people who have applied to the MSW Windsor 2 year course, I have yet to receive an acceptance letter but my status updated to accepted on their web site. I also emailed a few days ago after I read everyone got an email and I got that generic response that everyone is talking about. So, if you haven't actually received something official that says you are accepted/ wait-listed/ rejected there is still hope! In the email it stated in bold letters that they would not disclose your status via email and you would hear from the university via Canada Post if you are accepted. When all 30 spots had been filled, they will then send out a generic email to all wait-listed / rejected candidates indicating the program is now full.

As with everything in academia, these things take time and even though the department may have sent their recommendations for acceptance to Grad Studies, it is ultimately up to the Faculty of Graduate Studies to send out the letter of acceptance...they are notoriously slow. Your best bet is the website for current info!

Good Luck Everyone!

Hey,

Thank you for the details. Can you kindly send me the link to the website you checked for the status update. Whenever I sign onto my account nothing happens :S.

NVM… I just found the website. Thanks

Edited by Erin123

Hey guys,

Has anyone received any acceptance or rejection from GSPIA (University of Ottawa)??

I read that last year they e-mailed people in the first week of april, but I wanted to check out if anyone had already heard back from them.

Thanks!

Hey,

Thank you for the details. Can you kindly send me the link to the website you checked for the status update. Whenever I sign onto my account nothing happens :S.

Hey Erin,

The link is https://my.uwindsor.ca/

When you sign in your have to go to applications and it will say your status. Mine said "referred to the department" for ages!

Good Luck...kinda feels like Russian roulette doesn't it?

Thanks for the info!  Also, that's kind of the worst, and I can understand that last summer would have been rough waiting.  I was hoping U of T took an approach similar to Laurier, which someone mentioned above.  A nice, civilized date at the end of July, so we're not all biting our nails right down to it and can move on/make plans!  

Good luck with your application this year!  I'm thinking positive thoughts for you and all of us :-)   

Thanks and good luck to you as well and everyone!  This is definitely a learning expereince.  I feel like I've been waiting for the past 6 months.   

I just received an acceptance email for the 2 year MSW program at Wilfrid Laurier! I am ecstatic and still in shock. The emails are coming soon, everyone! :)

I just received an acceptance email for the 2 year MSW program at Wilfrid Laurier! I am ecstatic and still in shock. The emails are coming soon, everyone! :)

Congratulations Ali_son! Would you mind sharing your experience and what your average was for your 4th year at university? 

I am just trying to capture a full picture of what the university is looking for. 

Thank you!

I hope you are celebrating tonight !

Congratulations Ali_son! Would you mind sharing your experience and what your average was for your 4th year at university? 

I am just trying to capture a full picture of what the university is looking for. 

Thank you!

I hope you are celebrating tonight !

Erin123, Thank you! I will definitely celebrate tonight. 

I'm happy to share some of my experience. I actually did 5 years of university, and then took this year off to get some work experience. I took a bachelor of fine arts first, and then one year of only psychology courses. I volunteered with two art therapy groups during my undergrad. One was at a forensic hospital working with people who have been found not criminally responsible due to mental illness, and the other was through an early psychosis program. I worked for 7 months as a counselor in a group home, and am currently employed full time at a recreation club for adults with intellectual disabilities. My gpa in my last year was 3.9. 

Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone, fingers crossed for all of you! :)

I just got an email from Laurier and I was accepted. I will decline the offer soon to open up a spot for someone else on the waiting list. I live in Ottawa so I will go to Carleton. Good luck all :) !

I've been accepted to Laurier! I woke up to the email this morning and was ecstatic. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Congrats!! :)