Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Just not sure how to go about adding people or having people find the group. My experience last year was that I emailed the school and let them know there was a group to join if students were interested. Not sure if Toronto would be receptive to that. I will post the name of the group on here once I've created it though   :)

April orientation session would be the perfect place to let ppl know about the group, right? Print the link on small cards and off you go!

For my BSW it was discussed at the September orientation.  I have my own little facebook group of 7 students from my BSW program I'm currently in that will be going to UofT in the fall.

April orientation session would be the perfect place to let ppl know about the group, right? Print the link on small cards and off you go!

For my BSW it was discussed at the September orientation.  I have my own little facebook group of 7 students from my BSW program I'm currently in that will be going to UofT in the fall.

Sadly I won't be attending the April orientation as it conflicts with placement, and I am all the way up in Thunder Bay I can't fly down for one day! LOL. Anyone else can feel free to pass the info along about the group. 

As for you smpalesh I was unaware you had a group going, as I proposed to start one everyone is more than welcome to join the one I created :)

Don't worry, ours is not a group for the whole MSW class, it's just for those of us who are already cohorts in our BSW program.

Sadly I won't be attending the April orientation as it conflicts with placement, and I am all the way up in Thunder Bay I can't fly down for one day! LOL. Anyone else can feel free to pass the info along about the group. 

As for you smpalesh I was unaware you had a group going, as I proposed to start one everyone is more than welcome to join the one I created :)

Don't worry, ours is not a group for the whole MSW class, it's just for those of us who are already cohorts in our BSW program.

That's what I thought you meant but wasn't exactly sure. Our class also has a group for the HBSW however only myself and one other person will be attending Toronto. Excited to meet everyone :) I'm doing the mental health specialization, which one are you doing? 

Well written.. 

I want to be clear that I wasn't saying that experience or volunteer work doesn't matter - everything you can do enriches you as a person, and as a candidate for an MSW.  What I was trying to convey is that helping your grandmother pay her bills can be social work experience, if you come at it the right way.  I hope that U of T does indeed look at applications holistically.  I'm sure there are many people who have been in caregiver/unpaid roles that perhaps didn't allow as much time for volunteering, but whose experience would mirror volunteering.  

As someone with significant student loan debt, no help from my family, and living in a very expensive city, I don't have a problem saying that I didn't spend 20 hours a week volunteering for the last ten years, and instead have had a full time job.  I explained my choices in my application, and they'll work for U of T or they won't, and if necessary, I'll do it again next year.  So much of even being able to apply to grad school speaks to privileges that not everyone has had the opportunity to leverage, and I think it's important we recognize that winding roads are okay.  Not everyone's life is the same, and wouldn't it be boring if they were!

On a crazier note: I can't stop checking ROSI, even though I know they won't be posting anything for weeks!  I admire anyone who can wait for the envelope :-)

Don't go by what that says because mine said Under Review for 2.5 weeks after I got my acceptance letter.  They don't seem to update those very fast.  Your best bet is to check on ROSI periodically.  I don't know how early they update it.  I check it on March 4 and it said invited and I got my acceptance package on March 6.  But they letters were sent out March 3 so it may not be updated until the send the letters. On the good side the advanced standing notifications were sent out earlier than normal so hopefully it will be the same for the 2 year.

Hi Latte, 

Congrats ! May I know where you saw 'Invited' in Rosi? Under Course Enrolment ? I have applied to UofT - MSW - Two year program...got wait listed in Wilfrid Laurier... can't wait to hear from UofT which is my first choice..

Thanks/ Supu

Welcome:) It seems like you are a very strong candidate (I envy your experience :P

Offers of admission, the waitlist, and rejections are mailed out probably the first or second week of April judging by previous years. However, it is possible to check if you have been "invited" online through the ROSI system, as some Advanced Standing students did so and found out a few days prior to the physical letter coming in the mail.

Best of luck!  

*if you want to see how to access ROSI check back in the past few pages many people have posted instructions

Hi there,

Thanks a lot n Good Luck to you!

Supu

I am doing the Social Justice and Diversity stream.  Out of the 7 of us that I know are going (there might be a couple more, people that I am not as close to) I am the only doing that stream, 3 are doing gerontology and I think the other 3 are doing health and mental health as well.   Are you going on April 7?

That's what I thought you meant but wasn't exactly sure. Our class also has a group for the HBSW however only myself and one other person will be attending Toronto. Excited to meet everyone :) I'm doing the mental health specialization, which one are you doing? 

When I logged onto ROSI it was just there on the first page.  I didn't have to go anywhere else. 

Hi Latte, 

Congrats ! May I know where you saw 'Invited' in Rosi? Under Course Enrolment ? I have applied to UofT - MSW - Two year program...got wait listed in Wilfrid Laurier... can't wait to hear from UofT which is my first choice..

Thanks/ Supu

I am doing the Social Justice and Diversity stream.  Out of the 7 of us that I know are going (there might be a couple more, people that I am not as close to) I am the only doing that stream, 3 are doing gerontology and I think the other 3 are doing health and mental health as well.   Are you going on April 7?

No I won't be able to as I'm in Thunder Bay. I'm doing the mental health and health stream as well, it seems to be popular but that is really the field I want to be in and am currently doing my placement in. 

OH MY GOODNESS ITS MARCH 31 and I still havent heard from Laurier's MSW Advance Standing @ smpalesh im still waitlisted..I cant even eat or concentrate anymore I hope to hear some good news this week at least.

Hi everyone:) 

I just thought I'd share that I spoke to the graduate admissions office today at York for the two year MSW program. 

I was told that the decisions will be mailed out within the next two weeks- guaranteed. 

OH MY GOODNESS ITS MARCH 31 and I still havent heard from Laurier's MSW Advance Standing @ smpalesh im still waitlisted..I cant even eat or concentrate anymore I hope to hear some good news this week at least.

I'm also freaking out - so you have company! If I have to do this again next year, I'm going to have to come up with a better coping strategy than staring at the calendar or willing that decisions get made faster :-)

(Edited to fix silly grammar mistakes - oh, Monday.)

Edited by l_c

Hey everyone, 

Haven't posted before but have been reading most of the posts. I just got an e-mail from York for the 2 year MSW:

Dear MSW Applicant:

You have been recommended for admission into our full-time 2 YR MSW program @ York University but unfortunately, we do not have a spot for you at this time. We have put you on a wait-list. Please note that if a spot does open up for you, your admission offer will come with a $15, 00 funding package over the 5 term program.
I'm half proud and half crushed. Can't afford to think about it right now though, essays to write, exams to study for. Good luck to everyone.

The funding packages from York are awesome - I'm wishing I'd applied there as well!  

And PregnantSeahorse, I'm crossing my fingers for you that there's movement on the wait list.  I can understand having mixed emotions, and I hope that you get to the place where you're proud, because this is an accomplishment :-)  

York's on the ball this year! Huge congrats to both of you PregnantSeahorse and superanxious. With funding packages like that, I'm also sort of wishing I applied to York too! 

It seems schools are sending acceptances a bit early this year. Fingers crossed U of T is too!