Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

For those who have completed a 1 year post bachelors BSW, how did you find your program? Was it very intense with placements and course work or was it manageable? 

For those who have completed a 1 year post bachelors BSW, how did you find your program? Was it very intense with placements and course work or was it manageable? 

I found my first semester (in the summer) to be pretty intensive as it was 2 weeks per class which counted as a full credit, but it was nice to have done one credit at a time. The fall semester was also pretty intensive as I was taking 7 classes a week. I did manage to work part-time though and have somewhat of a life outside of school, so it is possible, just have to be very focussed and organized. This semester I am currently in, although I am only in 3 classes and placement 4 days per week, seems more difficult as placement was thrown into the mix of it all. It wasn't necessarily the workload itself that wasn't manageable it's just bouncing back and forth between various responsibilities, so again it takes a lot of discipline. I also am working quite a bit, so I think if you were to just be involved in school and placement it wouldn't be that much work at all. I can only speak for myself but it definitely flew by due to such a busy schedule. In all it was manageable and placement is what I have enjoyed the most, by far. 

First of all, congratulations to everyone who has been accepted thus far!

Seems like there have been quite a few people put on the waitlist for Lakehead - I too have been waitlisted for the Thunder Bay campus, and refused acceptance at Orillia. Wish I had been placed on the Orillia waitlist since the candidate pool is twice the size, but alas, here we are! I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed alongside the rest of you hopefuls. Good luck everyone with the rest of your admissions and please keep us updated!

Hi Everyone,

As on 2nd April, 2014 - Has anyone called Angela at UofT to know when UofT will start sending the MSW - 2 year program decision?

Also, to all MSW - 2 year program 'Accepted' lucky guys.... May I know the last date given by Wilfrid to accept the offer? 

Best of luck to all !

Supu

Hi everyone!

I have been following this thread and others similar to it for the past couple of years, but this is my first post. This is my third year applying to 2-year MSW programs. For the past two rounds, I applied to U of T, McGill (where I received my undergrad), Laurier, Carleton, and York. All 10 school applications ended in letters of rejection, no wait list. The process was extremely discouraging, and I almost did not make another round of applications. This year, I decided to really be in the field, and I am now working in Northern Quebec in the Cree community of Nemaska with youth programming as a Leadership and Healthy Lifestyle Coordinator. I have to say that although the process was discouraging, each time I failed, I would get up, dust myself off, and expand my experience. Thus I feel like where I am now, and my understanding of what the Social Work profession entails, failing the past two years has made will make me a much better social worker, and has allowed me to expand my understanding of marginalization and oppression further. 

This year, I have applied to the 2-year MSW program at U of T (my hopes are not very high, but I still went for it), and the one-year HBSW at Lakehead. I was recently admitted to Lakehead at Thunder Bay with no conditions, which feels so good! I feel as though my relatively vast experience in different fields has brought me here. Essentially, what I am trying to say is the process may seem discouraging, but don't give up! Use each year to make you a better candidate, and ultimately a better Social Worker. That's what the process is about. 10 rejection letters with no wait-list was rough for me, as I feel I am a strong candidate. But I really made the time worth-while, and now I am gaining experience that I never thought I would have had the time to do before. 

Congratulations to everyone who has been admitted and/or wait-listed to various schools! And to those  of us still waiting, everything will work out like it is supposed to! 

(Though dannika_star's post now has me a little nervous about the workload at Lakehead)

KatRousi, thank you so much for posting that, and welcome!  

It's so helpful to hear about other people's experience.  Beyond that, it's great to hear your encouraging words about continuing to put yourself out there and not give up when you know it's something you want.  Congratulations on your Lakehead admission, and best of luck with the program!

Indeed, thank you KatRousi, for that inspiring post. I think we all know that you're correct, and that if this profession is what we're meant to do, than all the experiences along the way will simply enrich our skills and perspective as a social worker.

Not to stray too far from topic, but I'm curious how you got involved with the Cree community - that sounds like a wonderful opportunity. If you have a spare moment, do you mind sending me a private message regarding how you acquired the position (previous volunteer work, connections, etc.?) Congratulations on your acceptance at Lakehead, you earned it.

Hi to all MSW - Two year program applicants at UofT ,

Just to let you know that UofT will be mailing their final decision on 7th April, 2014.

Good luck to all !

Supu

Just to let you know that UofT will be mailing their final decision on 7th April, 2014.

Good luck to all !

Supu

Hello supu,

Thank you for sharing the info!

did you get this confirmation from the department?

Thank you KatRousi for that amazing post, I really needed to read something like that. I think we all forget sometimes how much we can learn from failure- something I am trying to keep in mind as I know my chances are not all that great for getting in first round.

and Supu thank you so much for posting that, it is so nice to finally have a date! :) I know that ROSI showed the acceptances a few days before the letter arrived so now I am wondering if it will be the same for the two year. 

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi everyone!

I have been following this thread and others similar to it for the past couple of years, but this is my first post. This is my third year applying to 2-year MSW programs. For the past two rounds, I applied to U of T, McGill (where I received my undergrad), Laurier, Carleton, and York. All 10 school applications ended in letters of rejection, no wait list. The process was extremely discouraging, and I almost did not make another round of applications. This year, I decided to really be in the field, and I am now working in Northern Quebec in the Cree community of Nemaska with youth programming as a Leadership and Healthy Lifestyle Coordinator. I have to say that although the process was discouraging, each time I failed, I would get up, dust myself off, and expand my experience. Thus I feel like where I am now, and my understanding of what the Social Work profession entails, failing the past two years has made will make me a much better social worker, and has allowed me to expand my understanding of marginalization and oppression further. 

This year, I have applied to the 2-year MSW program at U of T (my hopes are not very high, but I still went for it), and the one-year HBSW at Lakehead. I was recently admitted to Lakehead at Thunder Bay with no conditions, which feels so good! I feel as though my relatively vast experience in different fields has brought me here. Essentially, what I am trying to say is the process may seem discouraging, but don't give up! Use each year to make you a better candidate, and ultimately a better Social Worker. That's what the process is about. 10 rejection letters with no wait-list was rough for me, as I feel I am a strong candidate. But I really made the time worth-while, and now I am gaining experience that I never thought I would have had the time to do before. 

Congratulations to everyone who has been admitted and/or wait-listed to various schools! And to those  of us still waiting, everything will work out like it is supposed to! 

(Though dannika_star's post now has me a little nervous about the workload at Lakehead)

Thanks for this post KatRousi!  If I don't get in this year (my second year applying) I definitely will have to do something drastic to get next year and your post confirms this.

Congratulations on Lakehead!  Looks like we will know U of T in just over a week.

Good luck to all !

Supu

Wow, this is great to know! Thanks :)

Thanks for checking that, Supu! Having an actual day to look forward to is really nice. Instead of "sometime within the next two weeks". 

Good luck to everyone. 

Totally agreed with all the thanks above, supu!  So helpful to have a date.  I keep checking ROSI because I'm crazy anxious - I hope that if anyone sees a change on their acocunt, they post it here!

Edited by l_c

Me too, b39 - my hope is that it's too soon for ROSI to show changes, and that's just a placeholder.  Either way, I'm looking forward to knowing in the next week so that I can move ahead with my plans.  Whether it's planning for school or planning to reapply, getting rid of the uncertainty that's causing so much anxiety will be a big help.

Edited by l_c

Hey everyone!

I just have a few questions:

I was wait-listed at Laurier for the 2 year MSW program. I was just wondering if anyone else was? And for the people that were accepted are you going to attend Laurier or are you thinking about declining your offer?

As well, does anyone know if U of T will be sending out an e-mail of April 7th, or just mail?

Finally, does anyone know how many people are accepted into the U of T 2 year program, and how many approximately apply?

Best of luck to everyone! And congrats to those who have been accepted! :)

Hi everyone!

Hey! Congrats!  I also got accepted into Lakehead, Thunder Bay campus.  Would you be interested if I created a fb group for those who also got accepted?

Hello everyone,

I was quite active on this forum last year but have been watching most of this year. It is so close to the acceptance/rejection/waitlist date that I have decided to come back on here!

I was waitlisted for the 2 year MSW last year at U of T and after what felt like the longest summer waiting, I was ultimately rejected. This year I decided to apply to a school in NYC for my MSW as well as U of T and I am thrilled to say that I was accepted to the NYC program. Unfortunately, the program is EXTREMELY expensive and I am not sure that I will be attending.

This is my third year applying to graduate school and my second year applying to an MSW. I have to congratulate KatRousi for staying so positive and really following her dreams. I have to agree that if this is what you want and if you are not accepted this year or haven't been in the past then keep following your dreams! It will happen eventually- at least that is what I strongly believe.

To answer Meg3's post: U of T sends out a letter in the mail- they do not send out emails.

The 2 year program accepts 140 students and last year I believe there were around 800-900 applicants (not sure on this year's number).

I am anticipating next week's results and, as many of you, I am checking ROSI constantly. Nothing up on my end either.

Best of luck to everyone. If it doesn't work out this year just keep going. It will work out the way it should.

Hey everyone!

I just have a few questions:

I was wait-listed at Laurier for the 2 year MSW program. I was just wondering if anyone else was? And for the people that were accepted are you going to attend Laurier or are you thinking about declining your offer?

As well, does anyone know if U of T will be sending out an e-mail of April 7th, or just mail?

Finally, does anyone know how many people are accepted into the U of T 2 year program, and how many approximately apply?

Best of luck to everyone! And congrats to those who have been accepted! :)

Great post, DreamingMSW!  You have a realistic, positive perspective on this process, and that's something I've found hard to maintain - especially at this point!  As I keep telling myself: "everything will be okay in the end.  And if it's not okay, it's not the end."  (Not sure who said that because the internet is in disagreement, but it helps me to repeat it.)

Good luck, everyone!  

Hello supu,

Thank you for sharing the info!

did you get this confirmation from the department?

Hi there,

Yes. Luckily, this morning...I had the confidence in confidence to call UofT and ask...we need to have a definite date...The officer who picked up the call clearly stated that UofT WILL mail(post) decision on 7th April for MSW - 2 year program..

I am wait listed in Laurier...I am a mature student with a Masters in Sociology with A grade and 8 years experience in Social work. If I don't get selected in UofT and Wilfrid... I will go ahead with my plan 2 - either Sheridan/ Humber ..a 2year Diploma in Social Work..

I think ... I am getting bold as the great day is nearing... I have to face life as it comes and I will accept it, hopefully with a smile :)

Tip: For your health... check Rosi only once, after 5 pm, everyday, till you get the final envelope from UofT !

Good Luck to all !

Supu

Hey! Congrats!  I also got accepted into Lakehead, Thunder Bay campus.  Would you be interested if I created a fb group for those who also got accepted?

I would be super interested! I will send you a private message with my info… 

I am glad that my message had a bit of an impact, I really didn't expect that much of a positive response! I know how it feels to be rejected from something you want to pursue so badly… so thumbs up to everybody who keeps on trekking despite the odds. I am wondering who else was accepted to Thunder Bay for the HBSW?

I would also like to take a moment to acknowledge how positive and supportive everyone is on this thread. It's really nice, and speaks to how compassionate we will be as future Social Workers.  

Also @DreamingMSW… you are the best! With your experience, U of T would be cray to turn you down. 

I'm currently doing my BSW at Waterloo.  I find it a lot of work but certainly manageable.   For our program you have classes 2 days a week and practicum 3 days a week throughout the whole program (Sept-June).  In the fall and winter semester we have 3 courses plus the placement seminar which also has assignments.  The second semester is just ending now (working on my last term paper) so I am looking forward to the third semester because it is only 2 classes plus practicum!

It's great to finally have a real date for U of T. I think I might be more nervous now though haha. The next week is probably going to go very slowly...

And I agree that as soon as anyone sees a change on Rosi they should post here. I keep convincing myself that not seeing anything means I didn't get in rather than they just have posted decisions yet.