Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hi everyone! 
I just accepted my offer for the 2 year MSW at the University of Calgary. I will be rejecting my offer from Laurier, so it will soon open up a spot for someone on the waiting list :) I was extremely shocked that I received two offers this year. This was my second year applying to grad school, I was rejected last year. For those who have been rejected or are on a waiting list, please don't give up. I know that is what everyone tells you, but if you want it bad enough, it will happen. I remember feeling like it was the end of the world when I got rejected last year, but I can honestly say that things worked out for the best and that this past year of experience has been invaluable to me, and is the reason I got accepted this year. I feel like all of the hard work that I have done over the past year has helped me to appreciate this acceptance even more than I would have last year, and has given me a new perspective. Thanks to everyone on this forum for being so supportive! It helped me to get through that agonizing wait :) All the best to those still waiting! 

It updated between 9-12 yesterday morning- checked it before class and it was blank, and after noon yesterday there was a new info box with the status saying 'invited.' Hope that helps :)

Hey just wondering where you seen this status was it on the home page?

Still Nothing:(

I applied to UOFT and York for MSW. Both still say that decision hasn't been made. I called both departments and both said within the next two weeks we will know. So extremely stressful waiting!

The ones who got accepted already through the ROSSI account where did it say invited??

Does anyone know when U of T is mailing our their acceptance packages? Have they already done it, or will they be mailing them out on April 7th?

Does anyone know when U of T is mailing our their acceptance packages? Have they already done it, or will they be mailing them out on April 7th?

According to DreamingMSW they were sent out yesterday. Which makes sense cause that's when ROSI was updated. 

Or not updated....

I'm assuming that also means all responses were sent out yesterday.

According to DreamingMSW they were sent out yesterday. Which makes sense cause that's when ROSI was updated. 

Or not updated....

I'm assuming that also means all responses were sent out yesterday.

Unfortunately all I know about are the acceptance packages. I know last year people got acceptance, waitlist and rejections around the same time. I would assume they were all sent out but I have no idea. That's just based off last year.

Almost everyone who got accepted to the MSW 2yr got their ROSI accounts updated yesterday. It seems like there have been no new acceptances today.

Please post if any new invites!

I wonder how many 2yr spots the program has every year...

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has any details about the York U MSW Advanced Standing waitlist, or if anyone has been admitted to that program from the waitlist? Also, I have not heard anything from Ryerson MSW. Does anyone know how they process rejections?

Thanks, good luck to everyone

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has any details about the York U MSW Advanced Standing waitlist, or if anyone has been admitted to that program from the waitlist? Also, I have not heard anything from Ryerson MSW. Does anyone know how they process rejections?

Thanks, good luck to everyone

Hey, I have a friend in my program who was rejected from Ryerson over email. I was waitlisted over email. Sorry I'm not sure about York.

Fyi for anyone on the wait list for u of t advanced standing: Angela said the earliest acceptance off the wait list will be at the end of May. Probably because they want our marks , etc.

Fyi for anyone on the wait list for u of t advanced standing: Angela said the earliest acceptance off the wait list will be at the end of May. Probably because they want our marks , etc.

When did Angela tell you this? Thanks for the update!

Almost everyone who got accepted to the MSW 2yr got their ROSI accounts updated yesterday. It seems like there have been no new acceptances today.

Please post if any new invites!

I wonder how many 2yr spots the program has every year...

Last year there were 140 spots for the 2 year. Hopefully that helps!

Still Nothing:(

I applied to UOFT and York for MSW. Both still say that decision hasn't been made. I called both departments and both said within the next two weeks we will know. So extremely stressful waiting!

The ones who got accepted already through the ROSSI account where did it say invited??

Hey AMetallo,

It said invited on the first page after you sign into ROSSI. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Hi,

Just to inform you that I got a mail from Angela-U of T- stating that all decisions for MSW - Two year program-  will be mailed this week.

So, I guess, we will receive letters of 'Accepted/ Wait listed/ Rejected', earliest by tomorrow or early next week.

The waiting period is ending...

Whatever happens.......Be Happy !

Supu

Thanks Supu and DreamingMSW for the Info and updates!

I was also wondering whether UofT gives out conditional acceptances? I guess people who got accepted for the 2 year will only know when their offer comes in the mail...

Thanks Supu and DreamingMSW for the Info and updates!

I was also wondering whether UofT gives out conditional acceptances? I guess people who got accepted for the 2 year will only know when their offer comes in the mail...

Yes they do. I believe if you are currently in school you need to maintain a certain GPA.

Wow I feel like a lot more people here got into Toronto than Laurier. Though that's probably just because of the rosi trick that brought people to the thread. Haha

I'm curious though, how many of you that were accepted are coming out of work rather than finishing your undergrad? Number one thing I've been hearing is that I should have taken a year or two off and worked. Those who have shared seem to have amazing experience!

Wow I feel like a lot more people here got into Toronto than Laurier. Though that's probably just because of the rosi trick that brought people to the thread. Haha

I'm curious though, how many of you that were accepted are coming out of work rather than finishing your undergrad? Number one thing I've been hearing is that I should have taken a year or two off and worked. Those who have shared seem to have amazing experience!

I worked for 3 years after undergrad. I think it can definitely help.

Hi all, 
I know I am a bit behind the times, but can someone please tell me how to sign into ROSI to check my application status. When I try to sign in it says I need a student number. Thanks so much!

Being a Laurier undergrad and also working at the MSW faculty, I am definitely biased towards it! There are lots and I mean LOTS of placement opportunities within the area and the staff at Laurier are very supportive. 

Do you mind sharing how you 'sold' your experience? And just maybe how you went about working abroad?

I always wanted to teach abroad when 'the right time' came about and it seems it might be the right time now.

Thank you in advance! I really appreciate your reply :)

I'm so happy to hear that, that's making me really excited! One great thing is that rent is going to be much cheaper in Kitchener/Waterloo than it would've been in Toronto. Being away from Canada for so long was kind of making me long for Toronto, but I think I'll be fine anywhere. My younger brothers are doing their undergrad at Waterloo and Guelph, so it'll be nice to be close to them too :D

In my personal statement I talked a bit about cross-cultural social issues and about how living in and integrating with a new culture allows you to gain perspecting not only on their social issues, but on the ones back home as well. I talked a lot about how living in Japan, which is such a homogenous culture, has made me further appreciate multiculturalism and diversity. While most people here are accepting of foreigners and like having us here, there can be a lot of misunderstanding and sometimes malice towards our presence here.

As for teaching abroad - is there any specific country you had in mind? I work for a Japanese public school board and was hired through the JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) Programme, but I know of others that I can recommend as well. I know of a similar program in South Korea that is likely hiring right now, and I know of various schools that may be hiring in Taiwan. Outside of East Asia my knowlege gets a bit weak. 

http://www.teachaway.com/ is a really useful company based in Toronto. When I wasn't sure if I'd been accepted to JET, they were really helpful in coming up with other options.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me!

Hi all, 

I know I am a bit behind the times, but can someone please tell me how to sign into ROSI to check my application status. When I try to sign in it says I need a student number. Thanks so much!

Hi, Shrek, and welcome!  You get a U of T student number assigned to you when you apply to any program, regardless of acceptance.  To see what yours is, sign-in to your account on the School of Graduate Studies website (where you completed your application), click on "view details" under actions (on the right), then "application summary" (third link down).  Your student number should be right under your applicant number, and is noted as "reported student number."

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Hi! I was accepted to U of T! I saw through ROSI! Congrats to everyone who was accepted and good luck to everyone who is waiting! 

I was wondering if anyone knew how high we have to keep our GPAs to keep our acceptance?

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! It seems like quite a few of you have discovered this forum! 

I finally got mail today and I have, for the second year in a row been placed on the waitlist at UofT. As well as on the waitlist for Lakehead. I may go crazy this summer but I would have probably thrown up if I had been rejected from UofT this year, so I'm grateful :D

I've decided that I'm going to apply to as many social/human service jobs as possible and re-apply again when I'm 25 or 26 if I don't get in this year. 

I know when i was waitlisted at Lakehead I was really disappointed because I didn't hear of anyone getting waitlisted there last year. Then my thoughts were that if I was rejected from this small program then there is no way I'm going to get into my Masters. But those are self-defeating thoughts! I feel like there's a greater chance of getting off of the Lakehead waitlist because applicants will probably get into their choice of Masters or other BSW programs! I'm pretty sure the program has become slightly more popular than in the past. I hadn't even heard about it last year..

Edited by jaylynn

Hi Everyone!

I received my letter from UofT and was pleasantly greeted with a wait-list offer. I am considering this a big accomplishment as I was fearing an outright rejection.

I realize I probably won't get in through the wait-list but just knowing that I was close makes me even more motivated to get my experience up and apply again next year.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone here for all the encouraging stories of re-applying I can't be disappointed seeing how much you have all earned your spots in the program. 

Also I have a question - it says that you can send an updated transcript if you haven't graduated, which is my case, and I will do that.

However I am wondering about sending updates if you gain volunteer/work experience during the summer, does anyone know if that is allowed? 

They say in the letter there is no order to the wait-list and that applications get reviewed when spots open so I want to add on as I am beginning more volunteering this month.