Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hey everyone! I just logged into ROSI and it says I am registered for the MSW 2 year program!!! And yesterday it said nothing!

Maybe once we get the letters we should make a FB group to get to know each other etc.?

Hey, congrats on getting accepted into the HBSW program at Thunder Bay.  I just created a fb group for those who got accepted.  Join at: https://www.facebook...90456264387598/

Hey, thanks for starting this group but wasn't able to find it and the link didn't work :unsure:

My ROSI hasn't changed. Seriously depressing. Trying to stay positive, but with the number of people seeing "invited", I doubt they re still updating. Just being realistic here....I haven't lost hope though. 

Congrats to all those accepted :) 

Hey everyone! I just logged into ROSI and it says I am registered for the MSW 2 year program!!! And yesterday it said nothing!

Hey Mcruk, 

Did you apply to any other MSW schools, and if so, were you accepted?

Yay! Congratulations for making it this far everyone!! Joining the bandwagon for UofT 2 year MSW starting this upcoming fall 2014 :) Can't wait to meet you all on facebook!!

Hey Mei.cee, did you apply to any other MSW schools, and if so were you accepted?

Thank you,

Erin

Hi,

Does anyone know the last date to Accept an offer of Wilfrid Laurier - Two year MSW program - Fall 2014 ?

Thanks/ Supu

Hi,

Does anyone know the last date to Accept an offer of Wilfrid Laurier - Two year MSW program - Fall 2014 ?

Thanks/ Supu

My deadline is April 14 :)

According to my ROSI account, I have also been 'invited'  by U of T and would love to be a part of a Facebook group when one is made. I am looking forward to meeting everyone :D

I just recently found out about this forum and it seems like such a great place! So many supportive and kind individuals :)

At this point, I got rejected by Laurier (not surprising because I am a Laurier undergrad and they don't usually accept their own to Masters programs) and I am still waiting for U of T but I am losing hope because I am still 'under review' and nothing on ROSI. But! I am not overly upset about it because I think it is only making me more committed to Social Work and encourages me to try that much harder.

I just need some advice. I was thinking about doing a one year college post-grad certificate program, administration within non for profit sector. I think doing this will increase my gpa when re-applying and maybe opens up some employment opportunities within the field.

My other thoughts were doing au pair abroad with children or applying to teach English abroad. 

Do you guys have any thoughts? I feel any one of these options won't hurt my application when I re-apply. But maybe someone has had similar experiences or knows someone and can provide some words of wisdom

Just looking for some ideas :) Thanks in advance!

According to my ROSI account, I have also been 'invited'  by U of T and would love to be a part of a Facebook group when one is made. I am looking forward to meeting everyone :D

Hello CourtneyLS, Can you advise whether your ROSI account was updated today or yesterday?

Kind Regards, 

Erin

I just recently found out about this forum and it seems like such a great place! So many supportive and kind individuals :)

At this point, I got rejected by Laurier (not surprising because I am a Laurier undergrad and they don't usually accept their own to Masters programs) and I am still waiting for U of T but I am losing hope because I am still 'under review' and nothing on ROSI. But! I am not overly upset about it because I think it is only making me more committed to Social Work and encourages me to try that much harder.

I just need some advice. I was thinking about doing a one year college post-grad certificate program, administration within non for profit sector. I think doing this will increase my gpa when re-applying and maybe opens up some employment opportunities within the field.

My other thoughts were doing au pair abroad with children or applying to teach English abroad. 

Do you guys have any thoughts? I feel any one of these options won't hurt my application when I re-apply. But maybe someone has had similar experiences or knows someone and can provide some words of wisdom

I'll be finishing up my third year teaching in Japan this summer, and I've been accepted to Laurier. It's really great experience and I think that if it's "sold" in the right way it looks really great on applications. I wouldn't trade my experience living and working abroad for anything, so if it's something you'd really like to do, I'd recommend going for it!

Still nothing from UofT. At this point I'm assuming I've been waitlisted or rejected. While it was my first choice in terms of program, Laurier was a very close second :)

Hey, 

I also have yet to hear and am super frustrated because I'm now convinced this means rejection or waitlist. Hoping for a good spot on the wait list. Fortunately, I already work in the field and have gone the post-grad college route (Social Service Work). College won't boost your GPA because they look at the last 5 full credits of 300-400 level. U of T recommends going back and taking more courses at the University level to boost your GPA. or do the BSW advanced standing program.  

In my opinion, if you have a decent GPA B+ or higher....then boosting experience is your best bet. In any way that you think is related and makes you most excited. 

I'll be finishing up my third year teaching in Japan this summer, and I've been accepted to Laurier. It's really great experience and I think that if it's "sold" in the right way it looks really great on applications. I wouldn't trade my experience living and working abroad for anything, so if it's something you'd really like to do, I'd recommend going for it!

Still nothing from UofT. At this point I'm assuming I've been waitlisted or rejected. While it was my first choice in terms of program, Laurier was a very close second :)

Being a Laurier undergrad and also working at the MSW faculty, I am definitely biased towards it! There are lots and I mean LOTS of placement opportunities within the area and the staff at Laurier are very supportive. 

Do you mind sharing how you 'sold' your experience? And just maybe how you went about working abroad?

I always wanted to teach abroad when 'the right time' came about and it seems it might be the right time now.

Thank you in advance! I really appreciate your reply :) 

Hey, 

I also have yet to hear and am super frustrated because I'm now convinced this means rejection or waitlist. Hoping for a good spot on the wait list. Fortunately, I already work in the field and have gone the post-grad college route (Social Service Work). College won't boost your GPA because they look at the last 5 full credits of 300-400 level. U of T recommends going back and taking more courses at the University level to boost your GPA. or do the BSW advanced standing program.  

In my opinion, if you have a decent GPA B+ or higher....then boosting experience is your best bet. In any way that you think is related and makes you most excited. 

That's good to know! I don't really want to go back to University to take more courses. I switched my major midway through my undergrad, so I had to take an extra fifth year. At this point, I am way too burnt out from school so I will only return unless it is super necessary. Thanks :) 

Hello CourtneyLS, Can you advise whether your ROSI account was updated today or yesterday?

Kind Regards, 

Erin

It updated between 9-12 yesterday morning- checked it before class and it was blank, and after noon yesterday there was a new info box with the status saying 'invited.' Hope that helps :)

Hi Everyone  :)

I have been following this forum for the last couple weeks and decided to stop being a peeping tom and make an account! I just checked Rossi and saw that I have also been invited for the 2 year MSW. I was really relieved as I was wait listed last year and eventually received a letter of rejection.  Anyone know when we will be receiving letters? I feel like its not going to sink in until I see it on paper, haha.

I look forward to meeting all of you. Please keep me updated on the FB page:) 

For those who don't get in the first time around-- no matter what, don't give up!!  It's not uncommon not to get in on the first try. One of my professors didn't get into grad school until his third time around, and he is very successful. Sit down and think of how you can improve your application for next year and spend that time doing it. There were many times when I felt getting in would be impossible but just try to stay level headed and focused. You will get to where you want to be:) 

Hi Everyone  :)

I have been following this forum for the last couple weeks and decided to stop being a peeping tom and make an account! I just checked Rossi and saw that I have also been invited for the 2 year MSW. I was really relieved as I was wait listed last year and eventually received a letter of rejection.  Anyone know when we will be receiving letters? I feel like its not going to sink in until I see it on paper, haha.

I look forward to meeting all of you. Please keep me updated on the FB page:) 

For those who don't get in the first time around-- no matter what, don't give up!!  It's not uncommon not to get in on the first try. One of my professors didn't get into grad school until his third time around, and he is very successful. Sit down and think of how you can improve your application for next year and spend that time doing it. There were many times when I felt getting in would be impossible but just try to stay level headed and focused. You will get to where you want to be:) 

Congratulations!! Acceptance packages were sent out yesterday.

I was also waitlisted last year and it is my third time applying to grad school. There is definitely hope for everyone!

Edited by DreamingMSW