Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

I've decided that I'm not going to reapply for a few years now...it's getting too expensive to keep getting rejected year after year. I went through a terrible year this past year and was finally hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel. No such luck :(

I totally get you. I am so financial strained that volunteering is creating more harm then good. It's so frustrating and i think that i will just stop applying as well. Looks like it will be a sad birthday week for me. I cant find a job in the field and i now can't even get into the program. I can't keep waiting so i think a career change is needed but maybe as years past i will rejoin the sw community . It would've been nice to have this so that i could get out of this rut but i guess not everything comes easy:( i wish us both luck.

Sadly, my BSW isn't getting me very far :( I've spent the last year working at a community health agency for seniors as a program assistant. It ended up working out last year that I didn't get accepted for my MSW because I had to go through treatment as I was unfortunately diagnosed with the c-word. But now that I'm healthy I was totally ready to tackle the MSW! Guess it's not meant to be :(

Hi Jax, I really do hope you get off the waitlist soon. You've been through alot and this process can be so stressful and discouraging. My fingers are crossed that you'll be admitted this year.

I didn't hear back from York regarding the 2 year MSW either, so I take it I've been rejected. A friend who started their 2 year MSW last fall at U of T said that although he was accepted at U of T, he was rejected at York. So you just never know.

I'm leaning more and more toward accepting my OISE offer. This will clear up a spot on the wait list for Lakehead's HBSW so don't give up hope!

I didn't hear back from York regarding the 2 year MSW either, so I take it I've been rejected. A friend who started their 2 year MSW last fall at U of T said that although he was accepted at U of T, he was rejected at York. So you just never know.

I'm leaning more and more toward accepting my OISE offer. This will clear up a spot on the wait list for Lakehead's HBSW so don't give up hope!

Hi laura016, as much as I hate to admit that I've begun accepting being rejected at York when I spoke to the admissions office today I was told decisions would all be out in 2 weeks. I've heard of York using a rolling admissions process in the past so there is still hope. Today may have been acceptances for their strongest applicants but probably not everyone.

I did hear from someone who is currently in grad school that some schools wait for CGS/SSHRC/CIHR/NSERC decisions before finishing up their admissions decisions- it does make sense, since if students have external funding it's cheaper for the school. Idk.

Hi everyone! I am new to this chat and am currently wait listed for MSW advanced standing at Laurier and Waterloo. I decided to put in a last minute application at Western for second round consideration. Has anyone heard from Waterloo or Western off of the waiting list? Does anyone know when the acceptance due date is? I've never been so anxious haha (I'm sure everyone can relate!)

Waitlisted: Waterloo/Laurier

Applied: Western

Edited by MSWRock

From what I understand it appears on the first page when you sign in, for example mine still says "No Registration History" but if I were to get accepted it would change to "invited" and some other info

Thanks a million !!! Good luck! This waiting is horrible...........I hate this !!! I wish they publish the application decision online on a fixed date !!

Sadly, my BSW isn't getting me very far :( I've spent the last year working at a community health agency for seniors as a program assistant. It ended up working out last year that I didn't get accepted for my MSW because I had to go through treatment as I was unfortunately diagnosed with the c-word. But now that I'm healthy I was totally ready to tackle the MSW! Guess it's not meant to be :(

Good luck to you ! Be bold and face life as it comes... accept the facts and truth in life and move on...I am sure you can do it ...

When I logged onto ROSI it was just there on the first page.  I didn't have to go anywhere else. 

OK...Thanks for the info ..

First time poster; I've read all of the previous grad cafe msw threads and I just wanted to say best of luck to you all...I will be applying to one year msw programs in a few months and I'm excited/worried so I'm sure I'll be posting on the new thread a lot! Good luck during any finals you have remaining :)

Thanks a million !!! Good luck! This waiting is horrible...........I hate this !!! I wish they publish the application decision online on a fixed date !!

I know! I envy the teacher's college applicants they find out from the schools today online. Meanwhile I am here obsessively checking my e-mail every 10 minutes 

Hi everyone! I am new to this chat and am currently wait listed for MSW advanced standing at Laurier and Waterloo. I decided to put in a last minute application at Western for second round consideration. Has anyone heard from Waterloo or Western off of the waiting list? Does anyone know when the acceptance due date is? I've never been so anxious haha (I'm sure everyone can relate!)

Waitlisted: Waterloo/Laurier

Applied: Western

I am also waitlisted for MSW advanced standing at Laurier!! best of luck..I am soo nervous

I received an acceptance email from York's 2-year MSW program today! It's great to finally hear some good news, and I hope that the wait list moves for those of you that have been wait listed and hoping to get into York.

Congrats! :) Did you receive the email during the day or at night (if you don't mind my asking)

I got accepted to the York 2-yr program!!!!! I'm still waiting for UofT, but Yorks offer looks pretty amazing. I don't know what I'm going to do if UofT says yes.

Hi superanxious! Congratulations!

I have a question for you! I think that previously you posted that you received an email from York inviting you to their spring open house in April? I haven't received that email, so I was wondering if you could tell me when the open house will be? Were there any other details about it in the email?

Thanks!

Hi PsychologyStudent101, Congratulations to you too!!!

It was odd receiving it before the acceptance came. This is what the email said :

Join us on Saturday, April 5, 2014 from 10am to 2pm for our biggest and best open house of the year.

• Chat with current graduate students.
  • Meet professors.
  • Tour our world-class facilities.

Come and see where you will study, learn, live, rest, relax, work-out and eat. 

Location: York University, Keele Campus. 4700 Keele St., Toronto, Ontario, M3J 1P3

Register for the day and we'll email you when the final agenda is ready. 

We look forward to seeing you there!

Edited by superanxious

Congrats, that is so exciting! What did the status on your online Windsor account change to? 

Thank you! I am so relieved right now! Receiving the acceptance took a little bit of the stress off. 

My status stated 'provisional acceptance'. 

I just need to complete a Stats course by September to secure my spot. I enrolled for the stats course today, so it looks like everything is coming together!

Good luck on your applications =)

Applied: 2 year MSW at U of T, Laurier, Lakehead, and Windsor

Waitlisted: Laurier, Lakehead

Accepted: Windsor 

Hi PsychologyStudent101, Congratulations to you too!!!

It was odd receiving it before the acceptance came. This is what the email said :

Join us on Saturday, April 5, 2014 from 10am to 2pm for our biggest and best open house of the year.

• Chat with current graduate students.
  • Meet professors.
  • Tour our world-class facilities.

Come and see where you will study, learn, live, rest, relax, work-out and eat. 

Location: York University, Keele Campus. 4700 Keele St., Toronto, Ontario, M3J 1P3

Register for the day and we'll email you when the final agenda is ready. 

We look forward to seeing you there!

Thanks for the info, superanxious! Hopefully they'll have another open house in the spring/summer.

i agree with being on the waitlist (York and Ryerson) it is just so much stress! I applied for the advance standing and i feel there is less movement with that. I also feel like i have to come to terms that i did not get in which is upsetting.. well i guess always try next year

Do you mean for the advance standing?  I didn't think the 2 year was out yet. If you mean the advance standing we had until March 31 to accept or reject the offer.

To those who got accepted to u of t (congrats!) When did they say you needed to accept the offer by?

That's just tuition alone sadly. Books and cost of living is more. Around $500 per month if living off campus in a student home, $700-$900 for your own apartment roughly, and more to live on campus. I think it's just $150 for the deposit. 

Thanks for the Info! And Congratulations on getting into the MSW program :)