Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

For those on the waiting list for UofT advanced standing, all our acceptance letters were sent out on March 3 and we were all told that we had until March 31 to send our deposit to hold our spot.  So after March 31 you will likely start hearing about spots coming available.  Hope this helps!

Thanks for informing. It's nice to know that. :)

Has anyone here applied to the university of Ottawa? It's a french program, so probably not as popular among the anglo set as the other ontario schools, but I haven't seen much action on here as far as applicants go. I'm pretty curious about how many people applied, especially considering they extended the deadline from januray to April; do you think this indicates a lack of applicants? mmkay, lemme know what you think! 

Hey there,

I applied for the Master's in Public and International Affairs at the U of Ottawa's GSPIA and haven´t heard from them either. Has anyone here applied to that Program and received an acceptance/rejection answer?

I checked in the website and the deadline for the program is still Feb. 1st (I guess they only changed it for some programs like the MSW) so I guess I should receive an answer soon.

I'm an International applicant and applied after our Dec. 1st deadline had already expired, so I'm aware I must be patient. However, I hope the answer comes soon and that, hopefully, I get accepted in order to begin the procedures to obtain the student visa.

Best regards to all from sunny Venezuela  :)  I really hope we all get great news soon!

It's my second year applying for advanced standing MSW. I graduated with my BSW in June 2013 and began working as a program assistant in a seniors community health agency immediately after graduating. At this point, I have almost a year of work experience, my placement experience, and various volunteer opportunities that I took part in throughout university. Last year when I applied I was rejected; this year I re-applied and have so far been rejected at Waterloo, wait listed (again) at U of T. Now I'm waiting on York, but seeing as how people have gotten responses, it's pretty safe to assume I've been rejected. At this point, I think I'm going to give up on applying for a few years and try again then.

Hi Jax14,

I understand how you feel! Being rejected is discouraging. I have been rejected to the Dal MSW, UVic Advanced Standing MSW. Hang in there. Getting work experience I'm sure is helpful to applications. Hang in there and good luck to you!

I was wondering if anyone has any info about York U's MSW Advanced Standing waitlist? I just got the email today advising that I am waitlisted. If accepted, they include a $9000 funding package. Wow. Is that a standard offer? Does anyone know how many people are admitted to the waitlist for this program at York?

Has anyone received acceptances to Ryerson's MSW Advanced Standing? I have yet to hear anything from them and I'm not sure if that is a bad thing.

Thanks all, good luck to everyone

Hey, I'm not sure if that is a standard offer but I was talking to grad student today who told me York treats their grad students very well (money and support wise) I mean I know it is just one persons opinion but she just got admitted to her PhD at UofT and her experience with York was really positive

Edited by b39

I haven't received an email either from Laurier's 2 yr MSW program.  I'm feeling so discouraged.  

I haven't heard yet either. But 2 of my peers have been accepted, I'm so happy for them, but it is also kind of difficult of course. 

Hi to all UofT MSW - Two year Program - Fall 2014 applicants!

I have applied to the above program and is just w-a-i-t-i-n-g to hear from them. Does anyone got admission/ know the current status?

I have a Masters in Sociology and 8 years of experience in Social work field and rest of the years... I worked in administration and marketing...I have had a successful career and my last year GPA was A. I did my personal statement really well and I guess...have excellent references from my teachers and employer. Will I get an admission in UofT???? It is my dream.

If an admission is offered, will Angela be calling / is it postal these days?

Will UofT change our application status promptly?

Waiting eagerly to hear from you...

I haven't heard yet either. But 2 of my peers have been accepted, I'm so happy for them, but it is also kind of difficult of course. 

I am wait listed in Wilfrid Laurier - MSW 2 year program - Fall 2014 Batch. I replied to Wilfrid that I am interested to accept an offer from their wait list.

Does anyone know the chance of getting an admission from wait list?

Hi Jax14,

I understand how you feel! Being rejected is discouraging. I have been rejected to the Dal MSW, UVic Advanced Standing MSW. Hang in there. Getting work experience I'm sure is helpful to applications. Hang in there and good luck to you!

I was wondering if anyone has any info about York U's MSW Advanced Standing waitlist? I just got the email today advising that I am waitlisted. If accepted, they include a $9000 funding package. Wow. Is that a standard offer? Does anyone know how many people are admitted to the waitlist for this program at York?

Has anyone received acceptances to Ryerson's MSW Advanced Standing? I have yet to hear anything from them and I'm not sure if that is a bad thing.

Thanks all, good luck to everyone

I was accepted to Ryerson's Advance Standing program about two weeks ago via mail.  Deadline for me to accept is tomorrow, still waiting to hear from York.

I haven't got an email from the MSW Laurier 2 year program, I assume that means I have been rejected? Has anyone heard from Lakehead HBSW?

Hi there,

I got an e-mail from Wilfrid saying that I am in the waiting list on 25th March....for MSW 2 year program - Fall 2014.

Hi Everyone

I am new to this form but it has been helpful reading everyone's comments. I applied for MSW at York and Ryerson and i am waitlisted on both :(. I was wondering does anyone know if these waitlist move fast? or at all? I suppose it depeneds on how many people decline their offer but it just makes me nervous not knowing and always being on eggshells about being accepted.

Hi to all UofT MSW - Two year Program - Fall 2014 applicants!

I have applied to the above program and is just w-a-i-t-i-n-g to hear from them. Does anyone got admission/ know the current status?

I have a Masters in Sociology and 8 years of experience in Social work field and rest of the years... I worked in administration and marketing...I have had a successful career and my last year GPA was A. I did my personal statement really well and I guess...have excellent references from my teachers and employer. Will I get an admission in UofT???? It is my dream.

If an admission is offered, will Angela be calling / is it postal these days?

Will UofT change our application status promptly?

Waiting eagerly to hear from you...

Welcome:) It seems like you are a very strong candidate (I envy your experience :P

Offers of admission, the waitlist, and rejections are mailed out probably the first or second week of April judging by previous years. However, it is possible to check if you have been "invited" online through the ROSI system, as some Advanced Standing students did so and found out a few days prior to the physical letter coming in the mail.

Best of luck!  

*if you want to see how to access ROSI check back in the past few pages many people have posted instructions

To everyone who applied for the post degree BSW at Lakehead, here's an email update from Sonya. I thought I'd post it here, in case you can't access your Lakehead mail:

Hi All 1 Year HBSW Applicants,

I know that you are anxious to hear the admission decisions for the program. Please know that we are working on them. Here is some background information I think you should know:

There are approximately 500 applications - each application had to be read by 2 separate readers - which is time consuming.

Last year we had about the same amount of applications and our decisions were sent to the Admissions Office on April 17th.

We are hoping to get them in earlier this year so I ask for your patience as I am receiving so many emails asking the same question.

I will be sending out an email in the very near future letting you know that I have sent the decisions to the Admissions Office (hopefully by the end of the week, if I can get away from emails and phone calls). This email will be a generic email to ALL applicants explaining what to do and what to expect - I will not be sending out specific admission decisions to each of you at this time.

I hope this kind of helps ease your stress somewhat and know that we are doing whatever we can to get the offers out a few weeks earlier than last year.

Have a great evening all and keep an eye on this email account.

Welcome:) It seems like you are a very strong candidate (I envy your experience :P

Offers of admission, the waitlist, and rejections are mailed out probably the first or second week of April judging by previous years. However, it is possible to check if you have been "invited" online through the ROSI system, as some Advanced Standing students did so and found out a few days prior to the physical letter coming in the mail.

Best of luck!  

*if you want to see how to access ROSI check back in the past few pages many people have posted instructions

Thankyou :)

I received my rejection letter from Laurier today. :(  Waiting on Lakehead now, but at this point I am most likely going to be working and gaining the relevant experience this year. Maybe I will consider reapplying for 2015 or 2016 intake

To everyone who applied for the post degree BSW at Lakehead, here's an email update from Sonya. I thought I'd post it here, in case you can't access your Lakehead mail:

Hi All 1 Year HBSW Applicants,

I know that you are anxious to hear the admission decisions for the program. Please know that we are working on them. Here is some background information I think you should know:

There are approximately 500 applications - each application had to be read by 2 separate readers - which is time consuming.

Last year we had about the same amount of applications and our decisions were sent to the Admissions Office on April 17th.

We are hoping to get them in earlier this year so I ask for your patience as I am receiving so many emails asking the same question.

I will be sending out an email in the very near future letting you know that I have sent the decisions to the Admissions Office (hopefully by the end of the week, if I can get away from emails and phone calls). This email will be a generic email to ALL applicants explaining what to do and what to expect - I will not be sending out specific admission decisions to each of you at this time.

I hope this kind of helps ease your stress somewhat and know that we are doing whatever we can to get the offers out a few weeks earlier than last year.

Have a great evening all and keep an eye on this email account.

just so you know Sonya emailed again and decisions have been made and they are being posted now but they could take a day or two to show up on your account good luck :) 

just so you know Sonya emailed again and decisions have been made and they are being posted now but they could take a day or two to show up on your account good luck :)

I got my response for Lakehead HBSW I was refused admission.  I'm not sure how upset to be by this news as the U of T MSW is my first choice.  This is going to make it even harder to wait for the U of T decision.

Ugh… Wait listed at Laurier, Windsor and Lakehead now :(…….. Feel incredibly disappointed. Now I'm just waiting for U of T. 

Does anyone know how many students were accepted to Lakehead's Orillia Campus?

Edited by Erin123

What is the difference between Orillia Campus and Thunder Bay admission wise?  I got refused for Orillia but waitlisted at Thunder Bay.  If any of you did the 1 year BSW in Thunder Bay, how did you find your experience there?  Is the cost of life expensive? 

Oh and it's a no from Laurier, I was kind of expecting that  :rolleyes:

Edited by TS28

Ugh… Wait listed at Laurier, Windsor and Lakehead now :(…….. Feel incredibly disappointed. Now I'm just waiting for U of T. 

Does anyone know how many students were accepted to Lakehead's Orillia Campus?

Hi Erin123, I think 65 applicants are accepted to the Orillia campus and 25 accepted to the Thunder Bay campus. 

What is the difference between Orillia Campus and Thunder Bay admission wise?  I got refused for Orillia but waitlisted at Thunder Bay.  If any of you did the 1 year BSW in Thunder Bay, how did you find your experience there?  Is the cost of life expensive? 

Oh and it's a no from Laurier, I was kind of expecting that  :rolleyes:

did you apply to the 2-year for laurier? Im getting so anxious!