Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

I can imagine that the uncertainty inherent with the wait lists sucks, but I believe that it's also an achievement.  Just putting your application in is a big deal, and a lot of work - and that's not considering all of the volunteering behind what you've written.  Getting wait listed for a very competitive program that takes so few students is something to be proud of too!  

I'm crossing my fingers for everyone, and hoping that there's movement on the wait lists :-)  (I'm also crossing my fingers for early decision on the U of T two year stream MSW - I'm dying over here.)

Hello all,

I just came across this forum last week. Does anyone know if York U and Ryerson U have sent out the acceptances to their MSW Advanced programs yet? My files are in "No Decision Yet" status, but I'm worried this really means "Thanks but no thanks!" I was rejected to Dalhousie and UVic's MSW programs already. My gpa is 3.8, I have a BSW, and I currently work for a government health care agency. However after reading some of your posts, I don't think my personal statement(s) were very strong. At least, this is the only part of my application(s) that I feel nervous about. Although at the time, I thought they were good! Do the statements make or break an application? I feel so disappointed. I didn't realize how competitive MSW programs are. If anyone knows anything about York or Ryerson, I would appreciate an update.

Thanks!

hi m7238, 

I received an e-mail from York U's MSW Department informing me that I've been accepted into its MSW advanced program, and stating that an official acceptance will be mailed out in a couple of days.  So I guess they are starting to mail out the acceptance letters for the one-year program.  

Your GPA is good and have work experience in social service field, so I don't think you need to worry too much.  York U sends out acceptance letter using a rolling system (since many applicants in Toronto applying to UofT, York & Ryerson at the same time, and most applicants will choose UofT over the other two), and the whole offer-distributing process will take a very long time.

Best wish to you. :)  

hey everyone,

I too am anxiously awaiting UofT MSW 2 year and OISE M.Ed. I have not head yet 

But I  did get accepted Monday into the Developmental Psych Ed. Which was my 2nd choice. There was no rejection or anything about counselling psych. 

I've also been accepted to the M.A. program in Counselling psych at Western (2 weeks ago) so I'm hoping to hear back soon as UofT is my first choice. 

I applied last year to the M.Ed counselling and got my rejection letter April 3rd.

this time the department said they had just started mailing letters last week so within the next 2 weeks its looking like. 

I don't know anything more about acceptances for the MSW program though. 

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! and to everyone still waiting good luck!! 

this is my second time around applying. Don't give up! 

Hi everyone!

I need some advice. Today, I received my acceptance letter from OISE. I'm thrilled and everything, but as you can see by my signature, I've applied to many schools and I'm really hoping to get into an MSW or post degree BSW program. However, OISE is the only school I've heard back from as of yet (though I'm assuming I've been rejected from Windsor because I didn't get an email). Normally I'd wait (somewhat) patiently to hear back from other schools, but OISE has given us three weeks from the offer date (March 14) to accept - add in postage time (you have to send the reply in by mail) and I'm doubtful that I'll hear back from all the other schools before I have to send my OISE answer off.

So here's my question - do any of you happen to know what the best way to tackle this situation is? Is it possible that I accept OISE's offer and then if I do get into one of the programs I'm hoping more for, could I cancel?

Any info you have on what the procedure would be is greatly appreciated...

Thanks all!

Hi laura016, 

Congratulation for getting into OISE.  :)  

I'm in a similar situation that I got acceptance from York MSW and are on the waiting list for UofT MSW, but the one I really wish to attend is UofT since I'm interested in specializing in mental health field and York doesn't have that.  What I'm planning to do is to accept the offer from York to secure a spot (& pay $250 deposit fee) while continue to wait for the UofT final result.  If later on I get acceptance from UofT, then I'll decide at that time to either give up my non-refundable deposit fee to go to UofT, or stay with York.

Most admission offers require people to accept the offer and pay the deposit within 2-3 weeks.  The students can change their decisions as long as they are ready to give up the non-refundable deposit fee (each school charge differently).  Laura016, I think there are a few things you can take into consideration when deciding the next step: 1) what's your financial situation? Are you willing to give up the deposit fee? 2) what are the chances for you to get accept into other programs? high or low?  3) how much do you like to study in OISE comparing with in other programs? 

If I were you, I probably would wait as long as possible (and only pay the deposit as late as possible) - since most of school have started to give out offer, especially for the coming few weeks.  If by the deadline I still didn't hear any acceptance from other programs, then I'll accept the offer to secure a program, while continue to wait for the news from other schools. It's just my two cents opinion.  :)   Although I don't know much about you, if you are able to get into OISE, I do think at least you should have a pretty good chance of getting into post-degree BSW program. 

Best wish to you. ^_^

Hi laura016, 

Congratulation for getting into OISE.  :)

I'm in a similar situation that I got acceptance from York MSW and are on the waiting list for UofT MSW, but the one I really wish to attend is UofT since I'm interested in specializing in mental health field and York doesn't have that.  What I'm planning to do is to accept the offer from York to secure a spot (& pay $250 deposit fee) while continue to wait for the UofT final result.  If later on I get acceptance from UofT, then I'll decide at that time to either give up my non-refundable deposit fee to go to UofT, or stay with York.

Most admission offers require people to accept the offer and pay the deposit within 2-3 weeks.  The students can change their decisions as long as they are ready to give up the non-refundable deposit fee (each school charge differently).  Laura016, I think there are a few things you can take into consideration when deciding the next step: 1) what's your financial situation? Are you willing to give up the deposit fee? 2) what are the chances for you to get accept into other programs? high or low?  3) how much do you like to study in OISE comparing with in other programs? 

If I were you, I probably would wait as long as possible (and only pay the deposit as late as possible) - since most of school have started to give out offer, especially for the coming few weeks.  If by the deadline I still didn't hear any acceptance from other programs, then I'll accept the offer to secure a program, while continue to wait for the news from other schools. It's just my two cents opinion.  :)   Although I don't know much about you, if you are able to get into OISE, I do think at least you should have a pretty good chance of getting into post-degree BSW program. 

Best wish to you. ^_^

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice! I do think I'll go the route of waiting as long as possible, but will accept the offer & pay the deposit should I not hear anything from other schools. If I am accepted elsewhere once I pay the deposit, then I will really truly have to think about which program I'm going with. At first I was deadset on going for my MSW but this OISE program (M.Ed Developmental Psych) just looks incredible! Ah, the stress of making life decsions.

Congratulations on your acceptance at York, and sending you positive thoughts and wishes that the waitlist will show some movement for you!

I haven't got an email from the MSW Laurier 2 year program, I assume that means I have been rejected? Has anyone heard from Lakehead HBSW?

I also have not received an email from Laurier regarding the 2 year MSW. They might be being sent out in waves, or we may have not been accepted. As for Lakehead, about two weeks ago Sonya sent an email saying that decisions will be made in approximately three weeks.. so we should be hearing back in the near (ish) future.

Best of luck!

Has anyone here applied to the university of Ottawa? It's a french program, so probably not as popular among the anglo set as the other ontario schools, but I haven't seen much action on here as far as applicants go. I'm pretty curious about how many people applied, especially considering they extended the deadline from januray to April; do you think this indicates a lack of applicants? mmkay, lemme know what you think! 

I haven't got an email from the MSW Laurier 2 year program, I assume that means I have been rejected? Has anyone heard from Lakehead HBSW?

I also have not received an email from Laurier regarding the 2 year MSW. They might be being sent out in waves, or we may have not been accepted. As for Lakehead, about two weeks ago Sonya sent an email saying that decisions will be made in approximately three weeks.. so we should be hearing back in the near (ish) future.

Best of luck!

I to have not heard back from Laurier yet either lets hope for the best :) 

Has anyone here applied to the university of Ottawa? It's a french program, so probably not as popular among the anglo set as the other ontario schools, but I haven't seen much action on here as far as applicants go. I'm pretty curious about how many people applied, especially considering they extended the deadline from januray to April; do you think this indicates a lack of applicants? mmkay, lemme know what you think! 

I've applied to the U of O MSW program. I heard that they will let ppl know in May bc of the extension I sent all my stuff last minute after I heard it was extended to April. Have you anything ?

I've applied to the U of O MSW program. I heard that they will let ppl know in May bc of the extension I sent all my stuff last minute after I heard it was extended to April. Have you anything ?

Nope, haven't heard anything! Though they told me the same thing about early may ( by the second week in may, apparently). I also applied last-minute, because i only realized they had extended the deadline recently. I'm a little nervous, because I've already accepted an offer for Uvic's BSW program, which starts the first week of may; I'm hoping I'll hear back with enough time to withdraw from that program without losing the money I paid in tuition. I guess we'll see! I know one person's already on the wait-list, after having applied in January, so i'm not entirely sure how they're filling spots, considering the new deadline.

Nope, haven't heard anything! Though they told me the same thing about early may ( by the second week in may, apparently). I also applied last-minute, because i only realized they had extended the deadline recently. I'm a little nervous, because I've already accepted an offer for Uvic's BSW program, which starts the first week of may; I'm hoping I'll hear back with enough time to withdraw from that program without losing the money I paid in tuition. I guess we'll see! I know one person's already on the wait-list, after having applied in January, so i'm not entirely sure how they're filling spots, considering the new deadline.

I did hear that U of O is big on work experience in social work if that helps with anything I applied for the 1 yr program as I already have a BSW

I appled there last minute as I was rejected from Dalhousie so we will see i guess. Im finding it so hard to find a decent job with just a BSW.. everywhere is asking for MSW now unless its in child welfare and well I already did 8 years on that path...... time for a change. So hopefully I will be attending in the Fall

For the advanced standing at Laurier all the acceptance emails were sent out the same day, the rejection letters were also sent then (by mail so received a couple days later) and waitlist emails were sent 4-5 days after the acceptance emails. 

Best of luck!

For those on the waiting list for UofT advanced standing, all our acceptance letters were sent out on March 3 and we were all told that we had until March 31 to send our deposit to hold our spot.  So after March 31 you will likely start hearing about spots coming available.  Hope this helps!

Today I received an email from York U, saying :

Dear MSW applicant,

You have been recommended for admission into our full-time Advanced Standing MSW program @ York University but unfortunately, we do not have a spot for you at this time. We have put you on a wait-list. Please note that if a spot does open up for you, your admission offer will come with a $9000 funding package.

So, York U is on the move too, sending out their acceptance letters (emails). I declined it, hoping that someone else would get my spot and hopefully will get into the program!

Cheers!

Today I received an email from York U, saying :

Dear MSW applicant,

You have been recommended for admission into our full-time Advanced Standing MSW program @ York University but unfortunately, we do not have a spot for you at this time. We have put you on a wait-list. Please note that if a spot does open up for you, your admission offer will come with a $9000 funding package.

So, York U is on the move too, sending out their acceptance letters (emails). I declined it, hoping that someone else would get my spot and hopefully will get into the program!

Cheers!

Wow, a $9000 funding package is quite generous.

Wow, a $9000 funding package is quite generous.

Well, it is very tempting, but this is something not palpable yet. I don't know how these funding things are working whether everybody gets funded or just a few and based on what criteria. I was surprised to see the amount too! But I kind of expected that I will be wait-listed or rejected, because my statement of interest wasn't quite there. I was focusing on my U o T application, this was a plan B. Anyway, it is good that I got accepted to UoT :)

Hope that everyone will get accepted somewhere ;) Fingers crossed!!!!

Well, it is very tempting, but this is something not palpable yet. I don't know how these funding things are working whether everybody gets funded or just a few and based on what criteria. I was surprised to see the amount too! But I kind of expected that I will be wait-listed or rejected, because my statement of interest wasn't quite there. I was focusing on my U o T application, this was a plan B. Anyway, it is good that I got accepted to UoT :)

Hope that everyone will get accepted somewhere ;) Fingers crossed!!!!

Congratulation for getting accepted to UofT!  :) And I do think you have a very high chance to be given an offer from York... York's social work dept. is known for its slowness in processing the application, if you are informed to be on the waiting list at this early stage and are provided with potential funding, it probably means you are on the very top of the waiting list, and York's waiting list does move!!!  :)

Well, the $9000 funding at York is in the form of a Graduate Assistantship (GAship), the students

"...are required to work as a Graduate Assistant for 135 hours (about 5 hrs a week) from Sept. 2014 to Apr. 2015.  A GAship assignment typically involves working with a Social Work professor or a School of Social Work project or committee.  As part of the GAship, you will also receive extended health care benefits."  

Not sure if every full-time students (or advance standing students?) who got accepted will get that, but it's very likely....I only know that to remain on GAship, you must have a B+ average. 

Edited by turtle2014

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice! I do think I'll go the route of waiting as long as possible, but will accept the offer & pay the deposit should I not hear anything from other schools. If I am accepted elsewhere once I pay the deposit, then I will really truly have to think about which program I'm going with. At first I was deadset on going for my MSW but this OISE program (M.Ed Developmental Psych) just looks incredible! Ah, the stress of making life decsions.

Congratulations on your acceptance at York, and sending you positive thoughts and wishes that the waitlist will show some movement for you!

Thanks a lot.  :)

I can understand the stress of making life decisions and needing to choose among a few good programs. (although the impact of your choices are much greater...)   Now I'm also altering my thought in setting UofT as my 1st choice and am seriously thinking about going to York even if UofT gives me an offer... because the offer from York U is just too tempting -- a funding package of $15,000 ($9000 GAship + $6000 entrance scholarship)!!!  It means after one year of MSW studies at York, I'll not only get a master degree, be debt free, but also earn $9000 plus a paid social work related work/research experience to list on my resume.  Although I like UofT's program better, but now I'm considering an alternative route of obtaining a "Solution-Focused Brief Therapy" Certificate from Adler Professional School's Continuing Education Program after completing MSW at York. This way, I'll be able to learn about the practical counselling skills that is lacking in York's MSW program.  

I wonder how others will choose-- a school that provides lots of funding or a famous school with a program you like?  

Thanks a lot.  :)

I can understand the stress of making life decisions and needing to choose among a few good programs. (although the impact of your choices are much greater...)   Now I'm also altering my thought in setting UofT as my 1st choice and am seriously thinking about going to York even if UofT gives me an offer... because the offer from York U is just too tempting -- a funding package of $15,000 ($9000 GAship + $6000 entrance scholarship)!!!  It means after one year of MSW studies at York, I'll not only get a master degree, be debt free, but also earn $9000 plus a paid social work related work/research experience to list on my resume.  Although I like UofT's program better, but now I'm considering an alternative route of obtaining a "Solution-Focused Brief Therapy" Certificate from Adler Professional School's Continuing Education Program after completing MSW at York. This way, I'll be able to learn about the practical counselling skills that is lacking in York's MSW program.  

I wonder how others will choose-- a school that provides lots of funding or a famous school with a program you like?  

I just wanted to add that I've had a ton of profs (I'm currently a psych major) who absolutely rave about how wonderful the Adler school is. It's not something I've looked into personally, but especially in my fourth year courses a lot of my instructors have spoken highly of it.

As for the decision between York & U of T, really take the time to picture yourself in each of the scenarios. Which do you think is a better fit for you? Weigh your pros and cons carefully. As a current York student, I must add that York sometimes gets a bad reputation for safety, etc. but I've been here for four years and have always felt safe and part of the community. The people I've met here are wonderful as well. That said, U of T is an amazing school too. Look at the course breakdowns of each program and use that to help you decide what the 'right' choice might be. Regardless of what you decide, congratulations!!

Has anyone heard from Uni of Calgary? I've applied for the distance MSW (leadership focus). Wondering if anyone has heard from them?

I applied for U of Calgary's 2 year MSW program and still haven't heard anything either. At the end of February they put something on their website that said they have started to issue admission results but it may take up to two months to do so ... such a long wait ... let me know if you hear anything!