Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hi everyone!

I need some advice. Today, I received my acceptance letter from OISE. I'm thrilled and everything, but as you can see by my signature, I've applied to many schools and I'm really hoping to get into an MSW or post degree BSW program. However, OISE is the only school I've heard back from as of yet (though I'm assuming I've been rejected from Windsor because I didn't get an email). Normally I'd wait (somewhat) patiently to hear back from other schools, but OISE has given us three weeks from the offer date (March 14) to accept - add in postage time (you have to send the reply in by mail) and I'm doubtful that I'll hear back from all the other schools before I have to send my OISE answer off.

So here's my question - do any of you happen to know what the best way to tackle this situation is? Is it possible that I accept OISE's offer and then if I do get into one of the programs I'm hoping more for, could I cancel?

Any info you have on what the procedure would be is greatly appreciated...

Thanks all!

Hey, 

Firstly, congrats on your acceptance! As for your predicament for mailing back a reply you can always express mail the letter. I did this for some documents for UofT and they got it the next business day (I live in the GTA). Also, keep in mind you could hear back from some schools prior to mid-April, I recently e-mailed York about where they stand with decisions being mailed out so when I find out I will post it here :).

I'm not sure about accepting and cancelling however I'm sure you are not the first person to be in this situation so I'm sure if you call OISE or e-mail them you could explain the situation and they can offer you some advice. 

Just wondering if anyone else has received an acceptance, waitlist or rejection letter from laurier for the 2-year program? 

Nothing from them as of yet. I'm expecting to hear from them earlier next week based on how Windsor operated.

I just received an acceptance email from Laurier this afternoon for their two year MSW program. Looks like they are starting to process these acceptances.

Problem is that I have to respond by April 11 and we aren't supposed to hear back from UofT until the 15...

Hey, congrats on the acceptance :) I just wanted to mention that you could hear back from UofT earlier than the 15th. Last year they got decisions around the second week of April (before the 15th). Plus, they mailed out advanced standing earlier than expected so it might happen for the two year decisions as well. Best of luck!

You're not going to be able to wait for news of the OGS to accept or not, as typically those results don't come out until later than all acceptance dates. 

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I'm stuck in the same predicament with Windsor. They have given me 2 weeks to decide (from the 14th as well) and I won't have found out about OGS scholarships yet.

I sent an email to the graduate secretary, but haven't received a response as of yet. I would recommend you do the same; It can't hurt to try.

UofT processed the advanced standing decisions much earlier than normal.  All decisions were sent out by mail on March 3.  At that time I was able to check ROSI and see I was excited before the letter arrived (March 6).  I would wager since they were ahead with the advanced standing they will also be ahead for the 2year as well.

I just received an acceptance email from Laurier this afternoon for their two year MSW program. Looks like they are starting to process these acceptances.

Problem is that I have to respond by April 11 and we aren't supposed to hear back from UofT until the 15...

It is WAY too early to be making that assumption yet.  You still have a chance.  Don't give up yet!

Hey LynnEy,

Congratulations on your acceptance. I bet you're deservingly pretty excited about it. I also applied to Laurier. Based on your acceptance yesterday, I'm assuming I didn't not get in at this point. 

I am interested in reapplying next year, and thus would like to improve my application. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I am wondering if you would highlight some of your experience and what your average was in your final year at university. 

Kind Regards, 

Erin 

I have yet to receive an e-mail from Windsor or Laurier, assuming I don't get in those.  HOWEVER, I did just get an e-mail from UVic (distance BSW), saying that I am accepted.  Anyone knows about this program and if it's worth trying to do the BSW route then re-applying for a MSW? Still keeping my fingers crossed for UNBC, however their answer come in end of Mai---ah the wait!!  Thank you so much :)  

Hi everyone!

I need some advice. Today, I received my acceptance letter from OISE. I'm thrilled and everything, but as you can see by my signature, I've applied to many schools and I'm really hoping to get into an MSW or post degree BSW program. However, OISE is the only school I've heard back from as of yet (though I'm assuming I've been rejected from Windsor because I didn't get an email). Normally I'd wait (somewhat) patiently to hear back from other schools, but OISE has given us three weeks from the offer date (March 14) to accept - add in postage time (you have to send the reply in by mail) and I'm doubtful that I'll hear back from all the other schools before I have to send my OISE answer off.

So here's my question - do any of you happen to know what the best way to tackle this situation is? Is it possible that I accept OISE's offer and then if I do get into one of the programs I'm hoping more for, could I cancel?

Any info you have on what the procedure would be is greatly appreciated...

Thanks all!

laura016, did you apply to MEd. in counseling psychology? I did not hear back from that program yet :(

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Well, the life is really ironic. I didn't get into the OISE MEd program and I had to accept the MSW offer, you did it but hoping for social work. You probably won't hear from all the universities that you applied for but I think you have chance to hear from Laurier at least. It seems that they started to send out the acceptance/rejection letters for the 2 year program :)

mares1325, did you get a rejection letter via postal from OISE? I did not hear anything from them yet :(

I applied for the 2 year program at Laurier and haven't heard anything yet! I will be obsessively checking my email now. Congrats to those who have been accepted!! :)

mares1325, did you get a rejection letter via postal from OISE? I did not hear anything from them yet :(

I didn' t get the paper latter yet, but I asked Todd Will to inquire about my application because I had a deadline to accept Carleton's offer. The answer was that my application was proposed for refusal and the official letter will come shortly.

You actually have a higher chance of getting into an MSW if you do a BSW first, statistically that is.  For what it's worth I applied for the 2 year MSW at Laurier last year and did not get in, so this year I am doing my BSW and applied for the advanced standing at Laurier and UofT.  I got waitlisted at Laurier and accepted at UofT, so it was definitely worth it.

I have yet to receive an e-mail from Windsor or Laurier, assuming I don't get in those.  HOWEVER, I did just get an e-mail from UVic (distance BSW), saying that I am accepted.  Anyone knows about this program and if it's worth trying to do the BSW route then re-applying for a MSW? Still keeping my fingers crossed for UNBC, however their answer come in end of Mai---ah the wait!!  Thank you so much :)

laura016, did you apply to MEd. in counseling psychology? I did not hear back from that program yet :(

Hi, COGSCI!

I applied to the MEd in counseling, with the MEd in Developmental Psychology as my alternate choice. I was rejected from the counseling program, and accepted into developmental. From what I've heard, the counseling stream is VERY competitive!

Sending you positive thoughts :)

Hi, COGSCI!

I applied to the MEd in counseling, with the MEd in Developmental Psychology as my alternate choice. I was rejected from the counseling program, and accepted into developmental. From what I've heard, the counseling stream is VERY competitive!

Sending you positive thoughts :)

Hello Laura,

Thank you for the positive cheer! I actually did the exact same thing as you did (MEd in Developmental Psychology as my alternate choice). 

Did they send you the admissions package by postal or did you have to email them to find out? I thought they wouldn't review developmental psychology applications until later since the deadline is March :s 

Please let me know and I really hope you get into your dream program! 

Edited by COGSCI

I did the post-grad BSW at Lakehead, worked as a Social Worker for a few years, and have been accepted to two advanced standing MSW programs this year. Given that it's the same amount of school either way, I'ld recommend going that route. I've also really appreciated the chance to take on placements and a professional role before going for my MSW as my interests now are completely different to what they were before I started. However, I had very little relevant experience before doing my BSW, so you might be a couple of steps ahead of where I was then. I don't think you can go wrong either way, really.

It is WAY too early to be making that assumption yet.  You still have a chance.  Don't give up yet!

Your words are very thoughtful and sweet. It's always nice to hear positivity =). I'm feeling a little skeptical at this point… I guess I'm preparing for the worst…. but I am still ready to accept the best case scenario haha. Thank you though. I really appreciate your kind words!

All the best to you at U of T!

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Laurier was suppose to begin sending out acceptances in the first two weeks of April. Seeing as they just started and there is more than a week until april; I think there is ample time for you to receive an offer.

Thank you for the kind inspiration words. I'm hoping….. but I'm also preparing for the worst. It's such a stressful time… It's hard to remain positive when I am reading about others receiving acceptance emails and my inbox remains empty :(. But again, thank you for you thoughtful words. Your comment did lift my spirit =). 

Congratulations on your acceptance :)

Hello Laura,

Thank you for the positive cheer! I actually did the exact same thing as you did (MEd in Developmental Psychology as my alternate choice). 

Did they send you the admissions package by postal or did you have to email them to find out? I thought they wouldn't review developmental psychology applications until later since the deadline is March :s 

Please let me know and I really hope you get into your dream program! 

Last weekend I noticed the status change on my ROSI account, and then this past Friday (the 21st), I received my offer of admission in the mail. I didn't realize the deadline was March! Perhaps they're just doing several rounds of acceptances. Don't lose hope!

Last weekend I noticed the status change on my ROSI account, and then this past Friday (the 21st), I received my offer of admission in the mail. I didn't realize the deadline was March! Perhaps they're just doing several rounds of acceptances. Don't lose hope!

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the comment! If you got yours on Friday, I guess it would take a little longer for me to get an admission package since I am in Quebec. Are you currently a UT student? Where on ROSI account did you see your status update? (I am a student at McGill so I wanted to know if things are different for non-UT students)

Sorry for asking you so many questions lol

Cheers,

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the comment! If you got yours on Friday, I guess it would take a little longer for me to get an admission package since I am in Quebec. Are you currently a UT student? Where on ROSI account did you see your status update? (I am a student at McGill so I wanted to know if things are different for non-UT students)

Sorry for asking you so many questions lol

Cheers,

I'm happy to answer your questions! I know what a stressful time this is for everyone, and I think it's great we have this little community on here.

No, I am not currently a U of T student (I'm at York), however someone on here taught us all a trick to sign into U of T's "ROSI" to check if we've been admitted prior to receiving our letters. Here's how I went about it: by logging into U of T's SGS (the site we applied through), there's a tab called "profile update". If you click this, on the new page the first line will be your U of T student number. Then, go to "U of T ROSI Student Web Service" site. Create a new account using your newly found student number and create a PIN (the site will walk you through it). On the very first page (the home page called SWS Home/Welcome), under the spot listing my email address, there are two tabs:

Registration - Fall 2014 - HDE MED 4

and

Registration - Winter 2015 - HDE MED 4

Each tab then has degree, ft or pt, year of study, etc..

So, that's what ROSI looks like for me. As I said, this showed up a few days prior to receiving my actual letter. That said, I live in the GTA (about 40min North of Toronto), so it wouldn't take long for me to get a letter from Toronto. With you being in Quebec, it makes sense that it would take a bit longer.

Let me know if you have other questions! And keep us updated!

I'm happy to answer your questions! I know what a stressful time this is for everyone, and I think it's great we have this little community on here.

No, I am not currently a U of T student (I'm at York), however someone on here taught us all a trick to sign into U of T's "ROSI" to check if we've been admitted prior to receiving our letters. Here's how I went about it: by logging into U of T's SGS (the site we applied through), there's a tab called "profile update". If you click this, on the new page the first line will be your U of T student number. Then, go to "U of T ROSI Student Web Service" site. Create a new account using your newly found student number and create a PIN (the site will walk you through it). On the very first page (the home page called SWS Home/Welcome), under the spot listing my email address, there are two tabs:

Registration - Fall 2014 - HDE MED 4

and

Registration - Winter 2015 - HDE MED 4

Each tab then has degree, ft or pt, year of study, etc..

So, that's what ROSI looks like for me. As I said, this showed up a few days prior to receiving my actual letter. That said, I live in the GTA (about 40min North of Toronto), so it wouldn't take long for me to get a letter from Toronto. With you being in Quebec, it makes sense that it would take a bit longer.

Let me know if you have other questions! And keep us updated!

Thank you so much for your detailed response! 

Yeah I checked my ROSI account and it is till blank under the registration part.

I am assuming that I am rejected or waitlisted at this point :(

Oh well, I still have few more programs to hear back from so I won't cry my eyes out just yet! 

Applied:

UT - MSW & M.Ed. (OISE), UBC - M.Ed., McGill - M.Ed.

Edited by COGSCI

Thank you so much for your detailed response! 

Yeah I checked my ROSI account and it is till blank under the registration part.

I am assuming that I am rejected or waitlisted at this point :(

Oh well, I still have few more programs to hear back from so I won't cry my eyes out just yet! 

Applied:

UT - MSW & M.Ed. (OISE), UBC - M.Ed., McGill - M.Ed.

Honestly, don't lose hope. If there's one thing I've learned throughout this entire process it is that different schools and different programs really are looking for different things. I did not receive an acceptance email from Windsor or Laurier (like others did), so I'm certain I was not admitted to those programs, and yet I've been offered a position at OISE. It's stressful, but you never know! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Honestly, don't lose hope. If there's one thing I've learned throughout this entire process it is that different schools and different programs really are looking for different things. I did not receive an acceptance email from Windsor or Laurier (like others did), so I'm certain I was not admitted to those programs, and yet I've been offered a position at OISE. It's stressful, but you never know! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thank you for being such an amazing support! 

I will be hearing back from UBC and McGill by the end of this week so hopefully my own school loves me enough to take me in again lol 

We both still have UT MSW left so let's keep holding onto that one :P

Edited by COGSCI