Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

did you apply to the 2-year for laurier? Im getting so anxious!

Yes 2 year at Laurier - I live in Montreal and got the letter today, it was stamped on 25 March.  Good luck!!!! 

So if I haven't heard from York yet, is it safe to assume I didn't get in? Sounds like everyone got a response.

I haven't received a response either. Only know one person that got in, the rest are either waitlisted or rejected.  We should probably look at it as they are still reviewing our application until we hear otherwise.

Also waitlisted at Lakehead, Orillia campus. 

I'm pretty annoyed only because I don't know if I should start finding full-time work for the summer. I would like to know how many people are actually on this waitlist. I feel like there's a good chance that people who applied to the HBSW also applied for their Masters. My hope is that their applications were so good that they also get into their Masters program and reject the offer :( 

Me too..........please post when you are accepted 

No matter what happens I will continue to post my status. I hope everyone else on here does as well, just so we all know where we stand. Good luck to you. It's a very difficult process. I'm feeling a little discouraged at this point… but we shall see what happens. 

Can someone explain to me how I create the footnote of all the schools I've applied and the status of my various applications?

Kind Regards

Erin123, Thank you! I will definitely celebrate tonight. 

I'm happy to share some of my experience. I actually did 5 years of university, and then took this year off to get some work experience. I took a bachelor of fine arts first, and then one year of only psychology courses. I volunteered with two art therapy groups during my undergrad. One was at a forensic hospital working with people who have been found not criminally responsible due to mental illness, and the other was through an early psychosis program. I worked for 7 months as a counselor in a group home, and am currently employed full time at a recreation club for adults with intellectual disabilities. My gpa in my last year was 3.9. 

Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone, fingers crossed for all of you! :)

Hey ali-son…. I don't mean to pry any further….. but could you also specify what you calculated your hours at? Thank you again 

Hey, I just checked and I got accepted to the Thunder Bay Lakehead campus but rejected at the Orilla campus.  Does anyone know the difference bw these two programs?  I also got rejected at Laurier and wait-listed at Waterloo.  I'm waiting to hear back from U of T.  Has anyone who has applied to the 2 yr U of T program checked their rosi account?  Bc mine is blank so I'm wondering if it's bc U of T hasn't made any decisions yet or bc I actually did get rejected.  After reading the previous threads, it looks like there's a trick the advanced standing applicants discovered, before they actually got their acceptance letters.

No matter what happens I will continue to post my status. I hope everyone else on here does as well, just so we all know where we stand. Good luck to you. It's a very difficult process. I'm feeling a little discouraged at this point… but we shall see what happens. 

Can someone explain to me how I create the footnote of all the schools I've applied and the status of my various applications?

Kind Regards

Hey Erin123, this can be set by scrolling up to the top right of the page, clicking on your account name, then "My Settings."  From there, click "Signature" at the left.  You can then add whatever information you want in your signature and format the text however you like.  Good luck!

Hey, I just checked and I got accepted to the Thunder Bay Lakehead campus but rejected at the Orilla campus.  Does anyone know the difference bw these two programs?  I also got rejected at Laurier and wait-listed at Waterloo.  I'm waiting to hear back from U of T.  Has anyone who has applied to the 2 yr U of T program checked their rosi account?  Bc mine is blank so I'm wondering if it's bc U of T hasn't made any decisions yet or bc I actually did get rejected.  After reading the previous threads, it looks like there's a trick the advanced standing applicants discovered, before they actually got their acceptance letters.

I'm also a 2 year U of T MSW candidate, and have been checking ROSI - mine still says "no registration history."  I don't expect there to be any change until at least the first week of April, as our decisions aren't expected until mid-April, and the ROSI trick seems to only work a few days in advance of the actual decisions being mailed out.  (Despite knowing that it's pointless for several days yet, I can't stop compulsively checking.  Futile, I know.)

Congratulations on your Thunder Bay acceptance, and good luck with U of T!

Edited by l_c

I didn't get into Laurier either, still waiting to hear from U of T.. my account still says "under review"

Congratulations to all who have heard back regarding acceptances! And best wishes to those who have yet to hear back from certain schools or are hoping for movement on the waiting list.

I received my rejection letter from Laurier today, and am guessing that I'll be getting one from Windsor soon considering I didn't receive an email. I have been accepted to the HBSW at Lakehead (Orillia), OISE's M.Ed program, and Brock's M.ADS program. As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm really torn between the OISE's offer and pursuing a social work degree like I originally planned - the OISE courses just look so fantastic!

I will try to decide ASAP so that those on the waiting list will hopefully get some good news :)

I just wanted to add that I've had a ton of profs (I'm currently a psych major) who absolutely rave about how wonderful the Adler school is. It's not something I've looked into personally, but especially in my fourth year courses a lot of my instructors have spoken highly of it.

As for the decision between York & U of T, really take the time to picture yourself in each of the scenarios. Which do you think is a better fit for you? Weigh your pros and cons carefully. As a current York student, I must add that York sometimes gets a bad reputation for safety, etc. but I've been here for four years and have always felt safe and part of the community. The people I've met here are wonderful as well. That said, U of T is an amazing school too. Look at the course breakdowns of each program and use that to help you decide what the 'right' choice might be. Regardless of what you decide, congratulations!!

Thanks a lot! The info you provided were very useful, as I didn't know much about Adler school at all other than what were listed on its website. It reassured me about the possibility of taking the alternative route vs. my original plan.  I did take your advice and listed all the pros & cons for both paths, and it seems that York would be a better choice for me (although it's still too early to make the final decision).  I'm a York student too (BSW-post degree) and I'd never felt unsafe walking around the campus either.  :)  Once again, thanks a lot, and congratulation for being accepted into Brock U... & post-degree BSW!!! 

Edited by turtle2014

What is the difference between Orillia Campus and Thunder Bay admission wise?  I got refused for Orillia but waitlisted at Thunder Bay.  If any of you did the 1 year BSW in Thunder Bay, how did you find your experience there?  Is the cost of life expensive? 

Oh and it's a no from Laurier, I was kind of expecting that  :rolleyes:

There is no difference between programs. I am currently finishing up my HBSW at Thunder Bay campus and while I was admitted here, I was rejected at Orillia. It's my experience that they will take those who qualify for admission and who ONLY applied to one campus over those who applied to both. So someone who applied to Orillia only may be accepted over someone with same credentials, as they chose both schools and so will have two choices. Cost of living here is about 20% more than southern Ontario I would say. Tuition ends up being about 13, 000 for the year with no funding. The program itself is good, especially if you don't get into a masters, then at least you aren't wasting a year and having to reapply for the two year MSW the following year. 

Congratulations to all who have heard back regarding acceptances! And best wishes to those who have yet to hear back from certain schools or are hoping for movement on the waiting list.

I received my rejection letter from Laurier today, and am guessing that I'll be getting one from Windsor soon considering I didn't receive an email. I have been accepted to the HBSW at Lakehead (Orillia), OISE's M.Ed program, and Brock's M.ADS program. As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm really torn between the OISE's offer and pursuing a social work degree like I originally planned - the OISE courses just look so fantastic!

I will try to decide ASAP so that those on the waiting list will hopefully get some good news :)

Congrats on your acceptances ! I was just wondering what your volunteer/work experience is and your school background ? 

Can anyone share information regarding funding @ UofT? It was mentioned that the school offers 4,000 to the top 25 in the fall and that there are other scholarships and bursaries available. Wondering if anyone can provide more insight, especially those who are already attending the MSW program at UofT.

There is no difference between programs. I am currently finishing up my HBSW at Thunder Bay campus and while I was admitted here, I was rejected at Orillia. It's my experience that they will take those who qualify for admission and who ONLY applied to one campus over those who applied to both. So someone who applied to Orillia only may be accepted over someone with same credentials, as they chose both schools and so will have two choices. Cost of living here is about 20% more than southern Ontario I would say. Tuition ends up being about 13, 000 for the year with no funding. The program itself is good, especially if you don't get into a masters, then at least you aren't wasting a year and having to reapply for the two year MSW the following year. 

@dannika_star thanks for the Info on Thunder Bay. I just got into the HBSW program at Thunder Bay too :)

I live in Toronto though, so i am concerned about the move and extra costs! The $13,000 in tuition fees seems like a lot. Are you counting in tuition + books + rent ? lol

Would you know how much they ask to put down as a deposit to hold your spot?

Any advice/tips would be great! 

Edited by Talstar

Congrats on your acceptances ! I was just wondering what your volunteer/work experience is and your school background ? 

Thank you!

Sure, I don't mind sharing.

Right now I'm finishing my fourth year of my undergrad degree in Psychology, at York. My transcript consists of a mix of B+'s and A's.. except for the C+ in stats that I don't like to talk about :)

I should mention that I went all the way back to high school when listing work and volunteer experience on my CV.. this was suggested to me by someone who had successfully been accepted to a graduate program, and I think it definitely helped my application quite a bit. In terms of work experience, I've been part of a management team at a retail store (but highlighted the transferable skills gained from the position), as a lab facilitator at George Brown College (part of a team overseeing a mandatory course on basic computer methods, proctoring tests, and working one on one with students who need an extra bit of help), and as a technical writer for a year at a computer software company (again, transferable and communication skills!). In terms of volunteer work, I'm currently volunteering with a senior's organization as well as with the York Region District School Board. In addition, I spent about 2.5 years volunteering in the local hospital's emergency department. I've also provided volunteer tutoring students to elementary school children through the local library, as well as with a earth-friendly awareness community campaign. I'm also completing my honours thesis at the moment.

I've said it on here before and I'll say it again - if there's one thing I've learned, it's that different schools really do take different things into consideration. So don't give up hope :)

I also want to add - to all of you - that I think we should all be proud of ourselves for making it as far as we have. Regardless of what our admission statuses may be, our educational, personal, and professional backgrounds are all things to be proud of. Don't let this process get you down :)

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this topic but i would like to get people's input and their experience. I am wait listed at York and Ryerson for MSW. Does any one know if movement does happen if you are wait listed and when would we be expected to hear back? In the e-mail for York they said from now till August 31, pretty big chunk of time :S

Thank you!

Sure, I don't mind sharing.

Right now I'm finishing my fourth year of my undergrad degree in Psychology, at York. My transcript consists of a mix of B+'s and A's.. except for the C+ in stats that I don't like to talk about :)

I should mention that I went all the way back to high school when listing work and volunteer experience on my CV.. this was suggested to me by someone who had successfully been accepted to a graduate program, and I think it definitely helped my application quite a bit. In terms of work experience, I've been part of a management team at a retail store (but highlighted the transferable skills gained from the position), as a lab facilitator at George Brown College (part of a team overseeing a mandatory course on basic computer methods, proctoring tests, and working one on one with students who need an extra bit of help), and as a technical writer for a year at a computer software company (again, transferable and communication skills!). In terms of volunteer work, I'm currently volunteering with a senior's organization as well as with the York Region District School Board. In addition, I spent about 2.5 years volunteering in the local hospital's emergency department. I've also provided volunteer tutoring students to elementary school children through the local library, as well as with a earth-friendly awareness community campaign. I'm also completing my honours thesis at the moment.

I've said it on here before and I'll say it again - if there's one thing I've learned, it's that different schools really do take different things into consideration. So don't give up hope :)

I also want to add - to all of you - that I think we should all be proud of ourselves for making it as far as we have. Regardless of what our admission statuses may be, our educational, personal, and professional backgrounds are all things to be proud of. Don't let this process get you down :)

I love that you said this, and I wholeheartedly agree.  So much of being admitted to a grad program is about a school's funding that particular year, or their current breakdown of students, or something else completely beyond the scope of what an applicant can possibly control.  I've known people to apply two years in a row with virtually the same application, and they've been rejected one year and accepted the next.  

Congratulations on your acceptances, good luck next year!

Thank you for being such an amazing support! 

I will be hearing back from UBC and McGill by the end of this week so hopefully my own school loves me enough to take me in again lol 

We both still have UT MSW left so let's keep holding onto that one :P

Hey COGSCI,

I am waiting on Mcgill too. I would like to know when you find out. So keep us posted. And if you find out by mail or by email. 

do only people who are current U of T students have a rosi account?

I'm a current UofT undergrad and yeah all students have a ROSI account that's what you use to sign up for courses, look at your transcript etc. 

I have applied to the 2 year MSW program. And nothing has appeared on my ROSI account. I think we have at least 1 week more if not 2-3 weeks until offers for the 2 year come in.

Don't go by what that says because mine said Under Review for 2.5 weeks after I got my acceptance letter.  They don't seem to update those very fast.  Your best bet is to check on ROSI periodically.  I don't know how early they update it.  I check it on March 4 and it said invited and I got my acceptance package on March 6.  But they letters were sent out March 3 so it may not be updated until the send the letters. On the good side the advanced standing notifications were sent out earlier than normal so hopefully it will be the same for the 2 year.

I didn't get into Laurier either, still waiting to hear from U of T.. my account still says "under review"

From what I have heard they offer $4000 to the top 25 but that is out of both the 2 year and advanced standing entry class.  So 25 out of 230.  For grades I was told you need at least an 88% average to have a chance at that.  As for other scholarships/bursaries your best bet is to check their website - http://www.socialwork.utoronto.ca/students/finance.htm

Can anyone share information regarding funding @ UofT? It was mentioned that the school offers 4,000 to the top 25 in the fall and that there are other scholarships and bursaries available. Wondering if anyone can provide more insight, especially those who are already attending the MSW program at UofT.

No, I have never been a UofT student and I had a ROSI account before I was accepted.  You need to go to your application page and go to Profile Update and find your student number.  Then you login and set up your password.

Being that the advanced standing was sent out early (March 3) I doubt it will be 3 more weeks.  Hopefully it is next week for you guys.  Waiting is agony!

I'm a current UofT undergrad and yeah all students have a ROSI account that's what you use to sign up for courses, look at your transcript etc. 

I have applied to the 2 year MSW program. And nothing has appeared on my ROSI account. I think we have at least 1 week more if not 2-3 weeks until offers for the 2 year come in.