Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted into Laurier's 2-year program and am waiting, like so many others, for a response from the U of T. Let us assume I was fortunate enough to be accepted by Toronto. Does anyone have any knowledge of the relative strengths and weaknesses  of these programs? Thanks.  

Share a little more about your social work interests and goals and I can give you some more input. 

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted into Laurier's 2-year program and am waiting, like so many others, for a response from the U of T. Let us assume I was fortunate enough to be accepted by Toronto. Does anyone have any knowledge of the relative strengths and weaknesses  of these programs? Thanks.  

Hey ali-son…. I don't mean to pry any further….. but could you also specify what you calculated your hours at? Thank you again 

Sure, my total hours for combined volunteer and employment experiences was 4300 hours. I noticed that someone else mentioned on this forum that they suggested going back to high school on your resume, and that is what I did as well. Besides my major employment and volunteer hours, I have been a gymnastics coach since I was 15 so that contributed quite a few hours, and I added on a bunch of smaller volunteer projects that I've done.. it all adds up! 

With no contact from York, ill be accepting Ryerson offer of admission to their 1 year msw program.  The deadline is today to accept, maybe next week those on the waiting list may be contacted.

Hey COGSCI,

I am waiting on Mcgill too. I would like to know when you find out. So keep us posted. And if you find out by mail or by email. 

Hello RRBrittany,

I did not apply to  MSW program at McGill. I applied to a psyc program, but good luck though ! 

Hey COGSCI,

I am waiting on Mcgill too. I would like to know when you find out. So keep us posted. And if you find out by mail or by email. 

I received an acceptance e-mail from McGill on March 18th for the 2 year MSW. 

Congrats on the acceptances, everyone! Still waiting to hear back myself. I applied to the 2 Year, Regular-Track MSW program at Windsor and received that standard e-mail, stating that they had begun to send out their acceptance offers to the first 30 and will send out more based on declines and those who don't respond. Is it safe to assume I'm waitlisted? The status on my UWin account still reads as "Referred to Department." 

Congrats on the acceptances, everyone! Still waiting to hear back myself. I applied to the 2 Year, Regular-Track MSW program at Windsor and received that standard e-mail, stating that they had begun to send out their acceptance offers to the first 30 and will send out more based on declines and those who don't respond. Is it safe to assume I'm waitlisted? The status on my UWin account still reads as "Referred to Department." 

I can only assume "referred to department" means waitlisted, or better yet, ACCEPTED. I'm rooting for ya!

@dannika_star thanks for the Info on Thunder Bay. I just got into the HBSW program at Thunder Bay too :)

I live in Toronto though, so i am concerned about the move and extra costs! The $13,000 in tuition fees seems like a lot. Are you counting in tuition + books + rent ? lol

Would you know how much they ask to put down as a deposit to hold your spot?

Any advice/tips would be great! 

That's just tuition alone sadly. Books and cost of living is more. Around $500 per month if living off campus in a student home, $700-$900 for your own apartment roughly, and more to live on campus. I think it's just $150 for the deposit. 

I can only assume "referred to department" means waitlisted, or better yet, ACCEPTED. I'm rooting for ya!

Thanks! Keeping my fingers crossed and just trying not to be too attached to the outcome :) 

That's just tuition alone sadly. Books and cost of living is more. Around $500 per month if living off campus in a student home, $700-$900 for your own apartment roughly, and more to live on campus. I think it's just $150 for the deposit. 

Dannika_Star

I think I read a while back that you were interested in putting together a Facebook group for new MSW students entering UofT? Are you still interested in doing that or have you already done so?

Dannika_Star

I think I read a while back that you were interested in putting together a Facebook group for new MSW students entering UofT? Are you still interested in doing that or have you already done so?

Yes I would love to! I haven't yet but I will do that tonight. Just not sure how to go about adding people or having people find the group. My experience last year was that I emailed the school and let them know there was a group to join if students were interested. Not sure if Toronto would be receptive to that. I will post the name of the group on here once I've created it though  :) Also, can you explain to me how I can put what school I was accepted to underneath in my signature since you and so many others have? I can't seem to find it on the account settings. HELP! 

The Facebook group for the MSW Advanced Standing U of T  has been created :) . The name of the group is University of Toronto MSW Advanced Standing 2014. Feel free to join and share with others everybody !

Sounds great! Thank you for setting that up, I'm joining right now!!!  :-) 

To add your status, click on your screen name in the top right corner of this screen, click on "my profile", then click on "edit my profile", then on the left side of the screen click on "signatures". You can update your information about acceptances etc there :)  

Edited by SocialShawn

The Facebook group for the MSW Advanced Standing U of T  has been created :) . The name of the group is University of Toronto MSW Advanced Standing 2014. Feel free to join and share with others everybody !

Hmmmm Actually I cannot find it. Could you post a link to it here?

Sounds great! Thank you for setting that up, I'm joining right now!!!  :-) 

To add your status, click on your screen name in the top right corner of this screen, click on "my profile", then click on "edit my profile", then on the left side of the screen click on "signatures". You can update your information about acceptances etc there :)  

Thanks I figured it out :) 

I have been officially rejected from Laurier. Now just waiting to hear from UofT and hopefully Windsor since I believe I am currently wait listed there. Hoping we hear from U of T soon!

Has anyone heard from Uni of Calgary? I've applied for the distance MSW (leadership focus). Wondering if anyone has heard from them?

I haven't heard from U of Calgary yet (I've applied to the 2 year clinical social work program). I also applied last year and was notified in May that I was put on the waitlist. It wasn't until August that I had a follow up email letting me know that I hadn't been accepted. Hope we will hear from them a bit earlier this year!

I have been officially rejected from Laurier. Now just waiting to hear from UofT and hopefully Windsor since I believe I am currently wait listed there. Hoping we hear from U of T soon!

Deadline for accepting Windsor was this past Friday. So there should be movement beginning this Monday.

Hello everybody! I've been accepted to Laurier, but also waiting for UofT and York U. I hope we will hear from these schools soon since there's a deadline to accept the offer-- mine's the 14. Good luck to all of us. I'm thrilled to join this forum :)!

Congratulations to everyone who got acceptance letters so far!

Something very interesting happened to me, so I will share it with you guys thinking that maybe someone can benefit from the info.

Thursday I received a voice mail message from York University saying that they have a part-time program for MSW and the guy on the phone is asking me whether I want to consider this option or not? Part-time studies will take 2 years instead of 1 and comes with no funding. But I will be able to work during this time.

Maybe somebody from you, who is eager to have a MSW degree would be interested in this. I am not since I will be starting in fall at U o T.

You could inquire about this option if you are put on the wait-list or let York U know that you would be interested in part time studies and if there will be a chance for a spot, they should consider you as a candidate.

Good luck for those who are still waiting for a decision!

Edited by Difrax

Thank you dannika_star for creating it! I'll try to join the group :) Very excited :)))))