Accepted! Thank you so much.

OnceAndFutureGrad

Well the acceptance e-mail finally came today. MA at UConn with a TA and the chance to go on for a PhD. (Hail Odinn and Manannan - I can finally get on with my life.)

I was at the top of the waitlist for UConn - a professor who I want to work with actually called my house to tell me so. I was in Ireland at the time interviewing for a pie-in-the-sky PhD fellowship when he called. That was the first glimmer of light in weeks. Things had been really dark for me as of late, friends with worse credentials getting multiple acceptances and me with nothing but a string of rejections and a sinking feeling of inferiority.

The only thing that kept me going, I swear to you, is this board - such eloquent, intelligent, passionate people getting screwed over by graduate school alongside me. I know that now I've got my acceptance I'm on the "other side" but I just wanted to let everyone know - MDLee in particular - how much I really appreciate the weeks of stress ventilation and agony release spent in "Waiting it Out".

Now I've got a thesis due tomorrow (!) and a Tyr concert on Saturday so I'll be off, but I just wanted to say - thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

That's awesome, congrats! I'm one of the lurkers here, but I've been following the forum and I also know how frustrating it is to get a rejection after rejection while students with less credentials get in. It must be great to finally get on "the other side," you deserve it!

Congratulations! That is awesome!

I've definitely related to your position with friends with lower qualifications getting multiple acceptances, and just rejection after rejection on my end, so it is nice to know that people who should be admitted are getting in! Congratulations again and best of luck there!

Congratulations! I was rooting for you, so glad to hear it worked out :)

Also, I'm going to see Tyr (and Alestorm) too, this Sunday in NY! Somehow I'm more shocked to find another Tyr fan than another Viking ship reconstruction enthusiast on this forum...but I guess they go together, huh?

That's really great, congratulations! Following your postings throughout this time, I know that it really has been a struggle for you, especially since you have so much invested.... I'm really happy that things finally worked out! :)

Dear RecycledViking,

Congratulations! On behalf of a few members of thegradcafe.com forum [in particular this Accepted! Thank you so much thread], we are delighted you have been offered admission to your UConn program beginning fall term 2009. We are very pleased and hope that you will accept this offer.

... just thought you'd like another acceptance letter

... just thought you'd like another acceptance letter
The nice thing was that I got the news in an e-mail, and now there's a lovely thick packet on its way in the mail, so it's like I get to win TWICE!

Also, I'm going to see Tyr (and Alestorm) too, this Sunday in NY! Somehow I'm more shocked to find another Tyr fan than another Viking ship reconstruction enthusiast on this forum...but I guess they go together, huh?
Alestorm without a doubt has the best song chorus in the world, and in both English and German.

(For the benefit of those who don't know Scottish pirate metal: "I want more wenches (hey! hey!)/More wenches and mead (hey! hey!)/I want more wenches/Lots of wenches is what I need" und auf Deutsch "Ich will mehr Weiber (hey! hey!)/Mehr Weiber und Wein (hey! hey!)/Ich will mehr Weiber/Viele Weiber, ja das muss sein".)

Tyr is really more what I'm looking forward to though. I fell in love with them when a fellow re-enactor played me the video for Regin Smi

(For the benefit of those who don't know Scottish pirate metal: "I want more wenches (hey! hey!)/More wenches and mead (hey! hey!)/I want more wenches/Lots of wenches is what I need" und auf Deutsch "Ich will mehr Weiber (hey! hey!)/Mehr Weiber und Wein (hey! hey!)/Ich will mehr Weiber/Viele Weiber, ja das muss sein".)

Oh my god.... this is beyond wonderful.....

Who did "Wolves of the Sea" first? Alestorm, or Pirates of the Sea (for Eurovision 2008)? I simply adore the latter's cover, it's so..... gay. :lol: I can't help but feel gleeful when I listen to it. :D

Congratulations RecycledViking! :) I was hoping you would get in after reading about your dilemma. Though our majors are pretty different, it's very heart-warming to find someone else as excited to go to UConn as I am! ^_^ I wish you the best of luck and maybe see you around campus!

Pass the mead!

Thank you for not only giving me hope (applied to one place, on the waitlist), but also for taking a pause to celebrate with the forum. Congratulations. I hope I can write the same kind of post someday soon!

Pass the mead!

Thank you for not only giving me hope (applied to one place, on the waitlist), but also for taking a pause to celebrate with the forum. Congratulations. I hope I can write the same kind of post someday soon!

• 1 month later...

Damn I wish I had discovered this board earlier... The waiting was killing me too! Although it was 99% sure I would get in, since I was informally accepted by a professor there, I kept checking my email like 20 times an hour or so :P The answer came in March 27...