Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

I have a few friends (three to be exact) who have received acceptance from Queen's MPA this week and last, fyi. They've been offered admission with funding to come in the mail. 

Mine is still reading "Application Complete" online instead of any "Decision Made" comments... Well, hopefully they're deliberating on exactly how best to accept me, hahaha. Thank you for that, though, that's good to know. 

Hi Notforsaken

The religion department actually made first round offers about a week ago. I was fortunate to get an acceptance but am not sure if they have a waitlist so I suggest you email the graduate coordinator and see where your application stands. Good luck!

I would feel slightly strange asking them to hurry up their decision though, haha. What should I say if I were to e-mail them, and where exactly would I e-mail?

I received an acceptance for Queen's MPA earlier this week. Info on funding to come, but I doubt their funding is generous.

I am trying to decide between Queens and Ottawa's MA in public administration. Any advice? Ottawa is offering me an admission scholarship that covers first year tuition + more money guaranteed through a TAship, RAship or other source (for the first year as well). I like the Queens program more, and it also has the advantage to be 1 year, but Ottawa is also attractive because of the guaranteed money and proximity to govt jobs.

Selfish part of me says pick Ottawa so my chances increase of getting into Queens!

I met some Queens MPA kids in the program currently, vaguely remember them telling me they got something like 3k in grants, and there's some opportunities to RA but no TAships available. If you qualify for OSAP and get grant money from that, tuition is pretty low. Depends on your lifestyle but living in a town like Kingston where there's nothing to do is cheaper than living in a city too.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I haven't researched much about MPA programs so I can't really compare but Queen's MPA is a great program IMO. Its rigorous since it's condensed into one year, but the students are very very tight knit and "team oriented." The program is also pretty centered on students needs, and there's a lot of flexibility in courses and additional services. From what I gathered there's a really strong connection with the OPS, although Ottawa probably wins with the federal connections. The Queen's program pretty established and is really well respected within the gov't though, I worked at the OPS this summer and there was a lot of MPA alumni, and the program was recommended to me a lot (that being said I'm in my undergrad at Queen's right now, so I don't know if I just happened to have selective memory with running into Queen's alumni). Queen's also has a cult-like feel so there's a strong networking opportunity, and alumni love each other. 

For cons though, Kingston is awful although it's pretty fun if you're here for just one year (literally my only hesitation with accepting Queen's MPA if I get in is I don't know if I can do another year of this place)

The freak outs are getting more frequent. I emailed both Mcgill and UBC just to check in and to know when to expect to hear back - UBC replied saying by the end of the month, Mcgill still hasn't replied to anything. I saw on the results page that someone else contacted UBC and was told that they'd been accepted directly by the same person who replied to my email. With McGill, my applications do still say "In Review" on the online system but I'm pretty sure everyone who has gotten in has already heard back from them. It's not that Concordia isn't a good school, but I definitely only applied there as a safety.

My GPA is decent (3.76) and I am extremely involved with my university community in areas that are directly linked to what I want to research. I want to research, in simple terms, on the intersection of queer and canadian identities in contemporary canadian literature. I've been the admin of the university's on-campus queer resource centre and safe space for the past two years, I'm a poetry editor for the english undergrad departmental journal, I'm a trained workshop facilitator, and I founded a journal of queer literature and arts just over a year ago (that I'm also the editor in chief for). I definitely had good recommendations and had several people look over my SoP. I don't know what I've done wrong. ahhh. 

I'm just a sad, anxious kitten. I also have to give Concordia my answer by the 1st.

/endrant

=C

Edited by violetpanic

Depends on your lifestyle but living in a town like Kingston where there's nothing to do is cheaper than living in a city too.

For cons though, Kingston is awful although it's pretty fun if you're here for just one year (literally my only hesitation with accepting Queen's MPA if I get in is I don't know if I can do another year of this place)

I definitely disagree with you - Kingston has SO much to offer and is in no way "awful".  Especially if you are athletic and like activities outdoors (kayaking, canoeing, biking, hiking in the summer; snowshoeing, cross country skiing in the winter etc). Plus, for a smaller city, the downtown nightlife in Kingston is great - tons of unique restaurants with great food that is comparable to downtown Vancouver food culture (where I'm from), lots of place to go drink with friends, whether you want to go to a sports bar, dive bar, or irish bar.. (there's a lot of bars). The culture here is really great as well - farmer's market, LGBT film showings, museums, The Spoken Word on Friday nights, history walking tours etc... And if you have a car and care to venture out of the Queen's campus bubble there is plenty to do on the west side of town (even if it's just going shopping or to the movies).

Basically, if you are considering Queen's MPA or Queen's in any fashion, please don't let one post sway you. It's really all about what you make of Kingston, and I've come to learn that the undergrads here (I'm a graduate student) usually don't appreciate the city for what it is.

The freak outs are getting more frequent. I emailed both Mcgill and UBC just to check in and to know when to expect to hear back - UBC replied saying by the end of the month, Mcgill still hasn't replied to anything. I saw on the results page that someone else contacted UBC and was told that they'd been accepted directly by the same person who replied to my email. With McGill, my applications do still say "In Review" on the online system but I'm pretty sure everyone who has gotten in has already heard back from them. It's not that Concordia isn't a good school, but I definitely only applied there as a safety.

As someone currently attending McGill: the administration is so far beyond useless it's a joke. You might hear back from them within the week, but if you don't and you're in Montreal you may actually find it worthwhile to come to the campus in person and make some inquiries. It's much harder for them to dodge you in person.

Unfortunately I was a little disappointed to have received my first answer back-- a rejection from SFU's MPP program. Fortunately I still have three more schools to go (Toronto, McMaster and Queen's.) Has anyone heard anything from Queen's? Based on the results search it really seems like they're taking their sweet time.

I've been monitoring Toronto closely and also spoke to them and it looks like they really take their time and we may not know till the end of April. I have 3 offers in the US I'm supposed to respond to by April 15 which is kind of problematic with the U of T schedule. I have no idea about Queens but it looks like everyone is taking their time!

I've been monitoring Toronto closely and also spoke to them and it looks like they really take their time and we may not know till the end of April. I have 3 offers in the US I'm supposed to respond to by April 15 which is kind of problematic with the U of T schedule. I have no idea about Queens but it looks like everyone is taking their time!

Damn-- really? Here I was thinking they'd have most of the decisions made in the next few weeks!!! I guess that's the trouble with the delayed admission dates... But if that's true I can probably stop panic-checking my email with such fervent intensity. Or not, honestly, probably not.

Damn-- really? Here I was thinking they'd have most of the decisions made in the next few weeks!!! I guess that's the trouble with the delayed admission dates... But if that's true I can probably stop panic-checking my email with such fervent intensity. Or not, honestly, probably not.

I've completely become OCD with checking... And I'm in a totally different time zone - I check during the morning here when it's the middle of the night in Canada and there's no chance anyone bothered to do anything with my application just then! By the way, the e-mail tend to be delayed, when accepted your status on the sgs website changes to "decision made", then (based on others who've been through this) if you log in to ROSI you see that you've been invited to attend, and the e-mail could take a few more days.

I'm a little bit concerned with the fact that it looks like they're not very into international students there (although I'm a Canadian citizen, I haven't lived in Canada for a very long time). I don't know of anyone else applying from outside Canada and I know they don't have that many international students in the program. I know I'm a competitive candidate - I have offers from top places in the US - but for various reasons, I probably prefer Toronto.

worrypower and naamoose, I have a friend who received acceptance to UofT's MPP yesterday, so I think they are starting to roll out acceptances

worrypower and naamoose, I have a friend who received acceptance to UofT's MPP yesterday, so I think they are starting to roll out acceptances

Thanks! The problem is that they roll them out. a few at a time. 

Got official offer of admission from Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies today for my acceptance at McGill's Electrical and Computer Engineering's MEng program.  :)

Congrats, I also got an official offer of admission but I'm worried about the funding. Have you heard about any funding to the program?

Congrats, I also got an official offer of admission but I'm worried about the funding. Have you heard about any funding to the program?

Hola hector6420! No official docs on funding yet but my professor said he's in the process of finalizing it. What's your area of research? Have you been assigned a supervisor already? Thanks and congrats on your admission as well!  :)

Hola hector6420! No official docs on funding yet but my professor said he's in the process of finalizing it. What's your area of research? Have you been assigned a supervisor already? Thanks and congrats on your admission as well!  :)

Hi. I am being assigned to the Telecommunications and Signal Processing Group under the supervision of Professor Harry Leib. He told me that the funding will be confirmed after the acceptance, so I'm not very sure if it is guaranteed or not.

Hi. I am being assigned to the Telecommunications and Signal Processing Group under the supervision of Professor Harry Leib. He told me that the funding will be confirmed after the acceptance, so I'm not very sure if it is guaranteed or not.

From what I understand, the final details regarding funding should be released this week (not later than April). Did you accept the offer at uApply already? 

From what I understand, the final details regarding funding should be released this week (not later than April). Did you accept the offer at uApply already? 

Not yet, I'm waiting some responses from the Department before rushing into anything. But I will accept most likely.

Not yet, I'm waiting some responses from the Department before rushing into anything. But I will accept most likely.

Cool. Also, the department does not require the $300 deposit when accepting the offer so no actual commitment until you decide to register later on. :)

I'm just a sad, anxious kitten. I also have to give Concordia my answer by the 1st.

I feel your pain! I was able to get an extension on my offer from Carleton, but when I emailed my other top choice they said I might not know until the beginning of April, and I have to give Carleton an answer by the 31st  :(

I can just pay a $300 deposit and accept my Carleton offer and then withdraw if my other school finally lets me know, but I'd hate to eat that $300 :(

edited to say: Also my other school is my alma mater and that application was due 2 weeks before Carleton's, and I got it in a week early. So I've been waiting even longer, and I'm getting anxious and whiiiiny. 

Edited by disba

Accepted into Queen's MPA program!!! So excited!!!!!

Just waiting to hear on Carleton's MAPA program and McMaster's MA in Political Science now!

Congrats!!!