Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

Just got accepted into UVic MADR(Masters Dispute Resolution). They emailed me, but only give me 10 days to respond, with deposit. Not even 10 business days, just 10 days. I still haven't heard from Toronto, and don't know what to do about it. Awkward.

I am very new to this website, apologies ahead of time if this has already been discussed in this thread (I admit I didn't read all the way through it). I applied to Concordia for their Philosophy masters program and haven't heard neither an acceptance nor a rejection, though others have posted to the results page (a while ago too! Late Feb.). Should I e-mail them? Is anyone else in the same boat for that program?

It is just the English department that has the system problems, as far as I know. My friend, who applied, hasn't heard back from clinical psych either.

Thanks for the info. I just wish they'd tell us already!

Got the reply from my email to UBC English today. Their system is down but it sounds like they will let everyone know very soon. I did learn that I got in :)

We may both be faceless and anonymous at the moment, but I look forward to meeting you in the fall (assuming you accept). Glad to make some sort of connection, no matter how tenuous, with a member of my cohort.

We may both be faceless and anonymous at the moment, but I look forward to meeting you in the fall (assuming you accept). Glad to make some sort of connection, no matter how tenuous, with a member of my cohort.

Me too! We will know each other by "gradcafe" symbols tattooed on our arms...

Seriously though- I am so excited to get started there (depending on the funding of course). I did my undergrad at UBC and the English department is amazing.

Edited by Lit Diva

Hi, did anyone apply for the M.A in Legal Studies at Carleton? It seems like it's taking so long to hear back from the department, and my status on carleton central still says "review in progress by department". Is anyone else in a similar situation? I haven't seen anyone post about it yet. So anxious!

Hey, I was accepted a little over a week ago but probably won't be accepting the offer. Try emailing them?

Hi, did anyone apply for the M.A in Legal Studies at Carleton? It seems like it's taking so long to hear back from the department, and my status on carleton central still says "review in progress by department". Is anyone else in a similar situation? I haven't seen anyone post about it yet. So anxious!

Hey, anyone applied UofT IHPME? MSc in HSR?

Got anything back? Waiting is so brutal!

I applied to UoT for MSc in HSR.  I don't understand how their system works.  I called the office and they said to contact my supervisor - I did not have one when I applied, so I guess I am not getting in.  Anyone else heard anything?   Did you have a supervisor you were already working with?

Just got accepted into UVic MADR(Masters Dispute Resolution). They emailed me, but only give me 10 days to respond, with deposit. Not even 10 business days, just 10 days. I still haven't heard from Toronto, and don't know what to do about it. Awkward.

Same thing happened to me for MA History. Considering I'm in Ontario I wouldn't have even been able to visit the campus in that timeframe.

I applied to UoT for MSc in HSR.  I don't understand how their system works.  I called the office and they said to contact my supervisor - I did not have one when I applied, so I guess I am not getting in.  Anyone else heard anything?   Did you have a supervisor you were already working with?

Hey lilr, I don't have a supervisor either. I got my interview in early Feb, and haven't heard anything back. I thought they would match the student with potential supervisor(s). Do you know when they will release the result? NEVER got any reply back from the admission office.

Hey lilr, I don't have a supervisor either. I got my interview in early Feb, and haven't heard anything back. I thought they would match the student with potential supervisor(s). Do you know when they will release the result? NEVER got any reply back from the admission office.

Well you got an interview at least! I didn't even get that! Good luck hope you hear soon.

Hey, I was accepted a little over a week ago but probably won't be accepting the offer. Try emailing them?

Thanks for letting me know! For sure, I'll call the department today.

I'm waiting to hear back about scholarships for U of Saskatchewan. My POI has told me I'm accepted provided that I'm selected for a scholarship (I'm international so she basically can't afford to take me otherwise.) Anyone in the same boat? This is kind of my last hope of going to school this fall so I'm dying for info

To the other people who are considering the UBC MA, did you get any info on funding? Whether I accept their offer or not really depends on the possible funding. I am pretty sure they will offer a minimum of a TAship... Anyone else have any thoughts? I know they haven't released details yet.

Just received my acceptance to Carleton's MA in Public Administration! So excited right now!

Now I am faced with the age old debate between Queen's MPA or Carleton's MAPA. Does anyone have any input?? 

Same thing happened to me for MA History. Considering I'm in Ontario I wouldn't have even been able to visit the campus in that timeframe.

Same. I`m currently writing final papers at Western, no way I can make it out to view campus by the 30th. 

Just received my acceptance to Carleton's MA in Public Administration! So excited right now!

Now I am faced with the age old debate between Queen's MPA or Carleton's MAPA. Does anyone have any input?? 

As someone on the Queen's MPA waiting list, might I suggest Carleton? ;)

Honestly, I think they're both wonderful programs-- and both are very highly regarded. The advantage of Carleton being that you're right in the seat of government and it will probably be easier to secure the kind of connections that can land you a job in government later, if you're aiming for that. You're liable to get well-connected either way, but based on my internship at the Canadian Senate I would have to say that more than half of the people I spoke to in staffing positions graduated from Carleton's MAPA.

I emailed Sandra Tomc directly today. They hadn't sent my offer, which is dated March 10th, because it was accidentally put in the wrong file (!).

I can't guarantee that you or violetpanic will have gotten in, but you might be in a similar situation.

Got the reply from my email to UBC English today. Their system is down but it sounds like they will let everyone know very soon. I did learn that I got in :)

Congrats, both of you! I'm not sure if it would be a good idea for me to email them again. I emailed them about two weeks ago now and was told that they "should have [their] news out by the end of the month." Should I just sit tight? 

I didn't sit tight. I just emailed Dr. Tomc. Hopefully, I get some kind of response. Even if it's a rejection, I just want to KNOW already.

It isn't really fair to keep people waiting this long. I'm glad you emailed again.

I didn't sit tight. I just emailed Dr. Tomc. Hopefully, I get some kind of response. Even if it's a rejection, I just want to KNOW already.

I think I might do the same thing, e-mail and ask lakehead when they'll have decisions for applications submitted early March. Do you think that would be bothersome?

Accepted by U of T as given advance notice by my POI through e-mail.  Funding appears to be $15k + tuition + health plan + incidental fees (whatever those are), and a bonus top up if I get some prestigious awards.  I'm not sure if this is standard for everyone, but she seemed pretty confident telling me that the letter she attached to the email was indicative of what I, and others, would be getting.

Congrats errath! If you accept Carleton, we might be classmates! :)

Thanks disba! I'm still very unsure of where I want to go! Have you accepted your offer yet?? :)

As someone on the Queen's MPA waiting list, might I suggest Carleton? ;)

Honestly, I think they're both wonderful programs-- and both are very highly regarded. The advantage of Carleton being that you're right in the seat of government and it will probably be easier to secure the kind of connections that can land you a job in government later, if you're aiming for that. You're liable to get well-connected either way, but based on my internship at the Canadian Senate I would have to say that more than half of the people I spoke to in staffing positions graduated from Carleton's MAPA.

I hear both Carleton and Queen's are both very well connected with the government and both will lead to a career in the public sector, if that is what you want. I'm kind of in a position where I'm not entirely sure where my career goals lie...and herein lies the dliemma about which school to attend.  I like how Queen's is one year, as opposed to Carleton's two years, but Carleton offers more funding than Queens and two full co-op placements. Very difficult.

On the upside, my friend declined his offer to Queen's MPA so there will definitely be some movement in the waitlist!!