The Projected Results Game

Anyone want to play the Projected Results Game where you list the schools where you think you have a good shot at admission or you just have that special feeling that you’re going to get in? 

I’ve seen it on a few other threads and think it’s both interesting and scary. 

I'm mildly confident that I'll get into at least two of my three safeties, which are WSU, UMass Amherst, and UConn (all for English PhD). I'm also fairly confident I'll get into my school's PhD program, which I would really enjoy (I don't like to make any assumptions, though). I have a "special feeling" about CUNY Grad too.

Of course, after my experience of getting rejected from all but one school when I was coming out of undergrad, I don't want to get my hopes up about anything. Those rejection letters can be pretty crushing.

Chin up, cbttcher--the application process is so arbitrary that you never know what's going to happen from one year to the next. The funding for GSAS programs at all schools has been swinging like a pendulum over the last few years. I work in the admin at my school and year to year, the numbers change drastically for how many PhDs they can bring in.

Edited by shortstack51

I didn't apply anywhere that I didn't think I couldn't get into.

You can't succeed if you don't try,

shoot for the moon and land amongst the stars, 

no other cliches coming to mind at the moment.

Edit: Your verbal trickery confused me. 

Edited by moderatedbliss

You can't succeed if you don't try,

shoot for the moon and land amongst the stars, 

no other cliches coming to mind at the moment.

Edit: Your verbal trickery confused me. 

Ha! Lots of nots. Three nots. I hope I make up for it with at least three "yes" letters/emails/calls.

I did shoot for the moon - I applied to some great programs. But I took the names out of my signature because I'm really great myself. I don't want to be just another applicant to UT Austin. I don't want to be "the guy who applied at 3 places I applied and 4 places I've never heard of".

Besides I just sort of got tired of all the name-dropping. (nothing y'all do) but around friend. All of this, "did you apply here? and here? and here?" and "Miami Ohio? isn't that a small school?"

So with that said - MY PROJECTED RESULTS:

I bet I get into a 2 places that I'm super happy with and I bet they're super happy to have me.

I bet I get denied at 2 places that I really would have loved.

I bet a have a tough choice between the 2 acceptances come April.

I bet I don't hear back from 1 until May.

Edited by BowTiesAreCool

Ha! Lots of nots. Three nots. I hope I make up for it with at least three "yes" letters/emails/calls.

I did shoot for the moon - I applied to some great programs. But I took the names out of my signature because I'm really great myself. I don't want to be just another applicant to UT Austin. I don't want to be "the guy who applied at 3 places I applied and 4 places I've never heard of".

Besides I just sort of got tired of all the name-dropping. (nothing y'all do) but around friend. All of this, "did you apply here? and here? and here?" and "Miami Ohio? isn't that a small school?"

I bet I get into a 2 places that I'm super happy with and I bet they're super happy to have me.

I like your mindset. I definitely think there tends to be a lot of judgment and name-dropping. It's sad that students seem to be discouraged away from certain schools simply because they're a "small school" or whatnot. I've had people discourage me from applying to WSU because "it's in the middle of nowhere."

That said, one of the only things that makes the process bearable (at least for me) is to obsess over it with other people. Even people who are already in my school's PhD program like to pick my brain to see what schools and when I'll hear back, just out of curiosity. Talking about it seems to keep my anxiety at bay, at least in the short term. Kudos to you for not having to obsess over every detail and having a healthy attitude about it.

If I were to imitate the way you've played the projection game, mine would go something like this:

I bet I'll get accepted by 2-4 schools that I would love to go to.

I bet I'll get rejected by 2-4 that will break my heart.

And I bet I'll get rejected by 3 that I expected to get rejected by but I tried anyway (other people from my program have been accepted at those schools).

Edited by shortstack51

I like your mindset. I definitely think there tends to be a lot of judgment and name-dropping. It's sad that students seem to be discouraged away from certain schools simply because they're a "small school" or whatnot. I've had people discourage me from applying to WSU because "it's in the middle of nowhere."

That said, one of the only things that makes the process bearable (at least for me) is to obsess over it with other people. Even people who are already in my school's PhD program like to pick my brain to see what schools and when I'll hear back, just out of curiosity. Talking about it seems to keep my anxiety at bay, at least in the short term. Kudos to you for not having to obsess over every detail and having a healthy attitude about it.

If I were to imitate the way you've played the projection game, mine would go something like this:

I bet I'll get accepted by 2-4 schools that I would love to go to.

I bet I'll get rejected by 2-4 that will break my heart.

And I bet I'll get rejected by 3 that I expected to get rejected by but I tried anyway (other people from my program have been accepted at those schools).

I agree. Talking about it helps. I like talking. and trust me - I obsess! I just do it in a different way. I check out program reading lists, I read those books, I check out program grads, I read their abstracts. Do I always finish the books? Do I always read as much as I think I should? Naw... but I have to find time for Doctor Who, cooking, eating, drinking, and mindlessly killing zombies on PS3.

I am fairly certain I will not get into one of the schools I applied to... while writing the "fit" section of my SoP I kept thinking "man, this really is not a good fit," but I'd already paid to have everything sent over there. I think I've got a fair shot at each of the other three.

Official projection: 1/4

Fun game ;) 

I really hope my first notification is a "yes" or even a waitlist, so that I don't feel disheartened too early. But that's not too likely...

10 schools:

1 "want to do the master's instead"? (I think 3 of the programs I applied to sometimes offer a master's instead of PhD if they don't love you and want you to pay)

1 waitlist at a program I love

3 acceptances, 1 that I'm actually really happy about 

5 rejections, 2 or 3 of which make me very sad.

Fun game ;)

I really hope my first notification is a "yes" or even a waitlist, so that I don't feel disheartened too early. But that's not too likely...

That's exactly what I hope but chances are, probably not. I can't tell where I have a shot. I think my work sample is pretty good, but since I'm coming in with my German degree and transcripts that mostly consists of ungraded classes, I don't know what they're gonna do with that. On the other hand, I'm kinda hoping that it might make me exotic or memorable, which I feel plays a certain role as well...

I'm happy with one acceptance though I'm gonna be bummed if it's not Chicago.

I think it'll be a 1/5 for me! I really hope so. I have three contacts at my dream school (one of whom is an academic association president and a friend), but that program is way too small to count on. Really hoping from a follow through at the school across the bridge! Department chair liked my work, so hopefully that translates to the rest of the committee...

Shhheeesh. I applied to 10 feeling confident as hell. After i applied, my thoughts: "what the hell did I just waste my money on! Good luck!" Thought for sure straight zeroes across the board. Then Urbana came calling and i was like "Holy Shit! No way!" Then after pausing to reflect for a moment, I chuckled slightly to myself, thinking, "What in the world were they thinking to let ME in!" The grad director and another professor in the dept both told me they were impressed with my application, and Im just thinking, "Whaaaaaa? Was there some mix-up in the file!"

Ive yet to here from anywhere else where I have applied, but I still feel as if my chances are abysmal. But honestly, it is ok! I had my heart set on Urbana from the start and I'm happy. I'm pretty sure OSU doesnt want me because ppl have been saying theyve been accepted, but I havent lol! Just goes to show how variegated admissions decisions are. Good enough for Urbana, not for OSU.

At my most negative, I think I'm not getting in anywhere, and that I not only won't get in anywhere, but I'll be a person who literally never hears from a program even with a rejection until mid-March.

At my most positive (while applying), I thought I was good for 2 to 3 acceptances (didn't distinguish between high rank and lower rank schools; I just told myself 2 to 3 places would want me.)

At my most positive (now, as we draw closer and dread begins to sink in), I think I will get into 1 out of 13 or 1 wait-list out of 13.  I did the best I could with my application, and it definitely wasn't "thrown together" in two or three weeks before apps were due.  But I just don't feel confident when I think of other people's credentials, test scores, writing samples, etc.  It sucks feeling this way, but it is what it is.  

I, too, feel like I have wasted my money.  Yet I couldn't make myself, back in the fall, not try.  

Anyway, even though I know it "takes just one acceptance," I think I am not alone when I say that when things are wide open, as they are for most of us right now, one can't help but want a few acceptances to feel validated that one actually belongs/deserves to be in a Ph.D. program, as opposed to one (what we think of as a "fluke") acceptance.  

That said, I know it's an irrational way of thinking.  I know a bunch of people in Ph.D. programs right now who applied to 13 or so and only got into one, and they are in those programs now and legitimately belong there!  So....don't feel that way.  That is, that way that I sorta feel but am telling other people not to, lol.  

p.s. no love from OSU for me either.  I keep seeing people's acceptances, but every time I check my status, I see "Pending.  Your application is in review."  This is code, mind you, for "LOL!  Stop checking your status here, as if you ever had a chance in hell with us.  You ridiculous fool you."  

Anyway, my honest projection:  0 or 1 out of 13.

Edited by purpleperson

Shhheeesh. I applied to 10 feeling confident as hell. After i applied, my thoughts: "what the hell did I just waste my money on! Good luck!" Thought for sure straight zeroes across the board. Then Urbana came calling and i was like "Holy Shit! No way!" Then after pausing to reflect for a moment, I chuckled slightly to myself, thinking, "What in the world were they thinking to let ME in!" The grad director and another professor in the dept both told me they were impressed with my application, and Im just thinking, "Whaaaaaa? Was there some mix-up in the file!"

Ive yet to here from anywhere else where I have applied, but I still feel as if my chances are abysmal. But honestly, it is ok! I had my heart set on Urbana from the start and I'm happy. I'm pretty sure OSU doesnt want me because ppl have been saying theyve been accepted, but I havent lol! Just goes to show how variegated admissions decisions are. Good enough for Urbana, not for OSU.

Not in your field but I just have to chime in that I felt the exact same way when the GSDs told me they really wanted me to come. I played it cool on the outside but in my head I was all, "Are you sure you want me there? On the top of my head I can think of at least 5 reasons why you should not!" Then I settled down a bit, and then the rejection came and I couldn't help thinking, "How come you don't want me? Other people do! We're such a perfect fit for each other!" So is the mind of a grad school applicant.

I, too, feel like I have wasted my money.  Yet I couldn't make myself, back in the fall, not try.  

I would encourage you not to give up hope. I also felt like I couldn't just NOT try. I felt a little guilty at how much money I put out but for me the worst would be not knowing for sure whether I could have made it into one of my dream schools. I did as much as I could during my prep for the application process, now it's up to the adcomms. 

:) Don't despair!

• 2 weeks later...

So far I've been denied to one place I really would have loved... 

Sooo, I'm not far off. 

How y'all doing?

I must say that I lacked the confidence in myself to even apply to PhD programs -- let alone, the highly-regarded programs I selected upon recommendation -- before a distinguished faculty member approached me about applying to these programs. 

Preparing all elements of this process since May has been, quite honestly, a series of unbelievable highs and dismal lows. After I submitted my applications, I plateaued at a state of zen-like acceptance, which I was proud of. Now, as decisions have started rolling in, I am once again at an incredible low.

I am with purpleperson -- I would be unimaginably grateful for one, just one, honestly-earned acceptance. My projection, sadly, is 0 out of 7.

waitlisted at 1,
rejected from 2 PhDs and 1 MA to PhD
still waiting to hear from 2 PhDs and 1 MA to PhD -- (and, realistically, I'd say I really only have a shot at one of these)

The reality: I think I WAY overshot with some of the programs I applied to. But, the good news is, I anticipate being bummed out for a period after results come in and reaching that wonderful zen-like state once again (haha).    

I must say that I lacked the confidence in myself to even apply to PhD programs -- let alone, the highly-regarded programs I selected upon recommendation -- before a distinguished faculty member approached me about applying to these programs. 

Preparing all elements of this process since May has been, quite honestly, a series of unbelievable highs and dismal lows. After I submitted my applications, I plateaued at a state of zen-like acceptance, which I was proud of. Now, as decisions have started rolling in, I am once again at an incredible low.

I am with purpleperson -- I would be unimaginably grateful for one, just one, honestly-earned acceptance. My projection, sadly, is 0 out of 7.

waitlisted at 1,

rejected from 2 PhDs and 1 MA to PhD

still waiting to hear from 2 PhDs and 1 MA to PhD -- (and, realistically, I'd say I really only have a shot at one of these)

The reality: I think I WAY overshot with some of the programs I applied to. But, the good news is, I anticipate being bummed out for a period after results come in and reaching that wonderful zen-like state once again (haha).    

Ah a fellow Mitten state.

I had early submission bliss. I had swag in my work. I was happy.

And I've taken a turn down.

We'll get there. Right? It'll happen for us - we're good people.

I would encourage you not to give up hope. I also felt like I couldn't just NOT try. I felt a little guilty at how much money I put out but for me the worst would be not knowing for sure whether I could have made it into one of my dream schools. I did as much as I could during my prep for the application process, now it's up to the adcomms. 

:) Don't despair!

Thanks for this.  I appreciate the encouragement.  I have five schools left that are viable options, and something good could still happen.  

So far I've been denied to one place I really would have loved... 

Sooo, I'm not far off. 

How y'all doing?

My prediction is holding up so far.  I said 0 or 1 out of 13, and right now I'm at 1 out of 13, and that one is (from what I understand) likely going to be an unfunded offer.  So it may as well be 0 out of 13 right now.

I've become a little depressed.  

I still do have five viable options (and four of those are supposedly "in my league").  There is some hope.  But those schools that are in my league are also in good cities and likely get a lot of applicants.  

Ugh...I'm so demoralized.

I constantly get calls from my student loan provider (I'm behind on a payment) but never any calls from schools with good news.   

My prediction is holding up so far.  I said 0 or 1 out of 13, and right now I'm at 1 out of 13, and that one is (from what I understand) likely going to be an unfunded offer.  So it may as well be 0 out of 13 right now.

I've become a little depressed.  

I still do have five viable options (and four of those are supposedly "in my league").  There is some hope.  But those schools that are in my league are also in good cities and likely get a lot of applicants.  

Ugh...I'm so demoralized.

I constantly get calls from my student loan provider (I'm behind on a payment) but never any calls from schools with good news.   

I'm guessing a bit of depression is probably normal right now. A week ago I felt like I'd had the best news of my life and today I feel like I had the worst. Looking from the outside, I really have no right to complain, but I still feel crappy. Who knows where I'll be in another week.

If you're finding it hard to be optimistic, don't worry, I'll doing the hoping for you in the meantime. :) And if you ever feel the need to bitch privately feel free to message me. :)