Rejection woes.....

WritingTrouble

I haven't received a rejection yet, but I'm fully expecting to in the near future. I did receive my first decision today, and it was a wait-list. Better than a full-out rejection, I guess, especially since I am not really expecting to get accepted anywhere (compared to other candidates my qualifications are unexceptional)...

I'm expecting almost all rejections. I'm already guaranteed a spot in a master's program at a good school for my field (CS), so I only applied to top tier schools for a PhD, plus two schools in cities I'd like to move to. :P I'm not surprised that I've only gotten rejections so far!

I think this week is going to be a blood bath for me (I've already received one rejection). Two of my other schools--one of them very, very high on my list--sent out a bunch of acceptances last night with no waitlists or rejections, so they are implicit rejections, I think. Even though I have back-up plans to across-the-board rejections (I'm several years out of undergrad and a Master's program, so I have a job and career), my ego is still a little bruised!

Bitter weeping and chocolate, that is how I am going to treat the rejection woes :(

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time writer. After receiving two rejections from schools that I knew were not likely to admit me, I got an especially disheartening rejection from a school that was meant to be a back up. After seeing the approaching interview date, I called and spoke with the admissions department and was told that I had been rejected. She cited a large number of qualified applicants (No shit?). Am I that uncompetitive?!? This one has hit me especially hard and has severely impacted my confidence for the remaining three schools. Sigh... My fortitude is being tested, that is for sure. 

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time writer. After receiving two rejections from schools that I knew were not likely to admit me, I got an especially disheartening rejection from a school that was meant to be a back up. After seeing the approaching interview date, I called and spoke with the admissions department and was told that I had been rejected. She cited a large number of qualified applicants (No shit?). Am I that uncompetitive?!? This one has hit me especially hard and has severely impacted my confidence for the remaining three schools. Sigh... My fortitude is being tested, that is for sure. 

As a fellow Psyc applicant, I totally feel your pain. I don't know what these AdComs are looking for. 

I've stopped checking the status of my Psyc applications altogether and am just hoping for the best with my Communication program apps. I'm thankful that my PI opened my eyes to all of the possibilities outside of Psyc. 

I think this week is going to be a blood bath for me (I've already received one rejection). Two of my other schools--one of them very, very high on my list--sent out a bunch of acceptances last night with no waitlists or rejections, so they are implicit rejections, I think. Even though I have back-up plans to across-the-board rejections (I'm several years out of undergrad and a Master's program, so I have a job and career), my ego is still a little bruised!

Bitter weeping and chocolate, that is how I am going to treat the rejection woes :(

I'm at the 'no news is BAD NEWS' point in the process too. Like you, two of my schools (one was a top choice, one was what I thought was a realistic possibility) seem to have sent out admissions notices, so it's not looking too good for me. That only leaves 4.

Right now I keep oscillating between the horror of potentially having to tell everyone that I've been completely shut out, and the horror of how much money I might have flushed down the drain (a burberry trench coat's worth, that's how much!).

Dear God, what have I done....

Haha, ya, I should probably do the same. If it were summer I could at least go fishing and take my mind off the world of admissions. Perhaps the computer will go in the garbage sometime this afternoon. Who knows. Best of luck with your apps, you still got 5 to go!

I'm at the 'no news is BAD NEWS' point in the process too. Like you, two of my schools (one was a top choice, one was what I thought was a realistic possibility) seem to have sent out admissions notices, so it's not looking too good for me. That only leaves 4.

Right now I keep oscillating between the horror of potentially having to tell everyone that I've been completely shut out, and the horror of how much money I might have flushed down the drain (a burberry trench coat's worth, that's how much!).

Haha, I had the exact same scenario run through my head earlier this afternoon. And isn't the implicit rejection awful?!? Its ten times worse than being told outright that you are "not competitive"

As far as the money part, just consider it as gambling money

There's some fears on the PoliSci thread about having to tell people, so you are not alone at all. I'm not so afraid of that as mortified that I even tried to go about it knowing that my candidacy is only strong for my enthusiasm for working in my field. And, yeah, the money horror. I keep telling myself not to even think about much closer I could be to my wedding savings goal if it weren't for the tears and money I put into grad applications.

I FEEL YOU SO MUCH

When things aren't going well but you gotta persevere.

tumblr_moapoxpKWJ1rcy99do1_500.gif

http://whatshouldwecallgradschool.tumblr.com/post/76343406995/when-things-arent-going-well-but-you-gotta-persevere

Edited by Monochrome Spring

I can. When you're an International Student with no money to speak of, you have no option but to apply to only 2 or 3 programs and hope for the best. It's a terrible situation to be in but such is life.

Yeah, my situation too. Also Ecology it's nearly required to find a supervisor, so try going through the work of building a relationship with 10 professors all over the world, while also worked 30 hrs a week and a full time student. 

I wish I could have applied to more than 3. 

Just got my second official rejection of the season...I'm pretty sure I have a soft rejection from Vanderbilt, so I only have one school remaining. It's my first choice school as well so literally all of my hopes and dreams hinge on this school right now :( Should have applied to more schools! WAHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh  :unsure:

Well I was just rejected from the one and only program I applied to... :( . I would like to apply again next year. Is it appropriate to ask the DGS (who I have emailed with quite a bit) or the director of the program (it's very small and I have been in contact with him as well) if they have any suggestions on how to improve my application for next year?

Well I was just rejected from the one and only program I applied to... :( . I would like to apply again next year. Is it appropriate to ask the DGS (who I have emailed with quite a bit) or the director of the program (it's very small and I have been in contact with him as well) if they have any suggestions on how to improve my application for next year?

I don't even think it's weird to ask, never mind inappropriate, especially if you've been in-contact! Definitely email them.

My cousin applied to a program with rolling admission and called to ask what the weaknesses in her application were. They said nothing, really, and that she should just apply earlier the next year. With that advice, she got into the program the year following! :)

But even if your situation's different, it probably can't hurt to ask, and it can be a huge source of relief when you get an informed second opinion about your application!