Rejection woes.....

WritingTrouble

I got a bunch of quick rejections right after the application deadline when I applied -- interview invites took longer to arrive, but did eventually. Hang in there :-)

Got my first today. I was braced for it, but I completely underestimated how much it would SUCK and disrupt my entire day. I also have 7 more schools to hear from, but this rejection just made the possibility of complete rejection seem much more real. It was such an abstract possibility, before. Sigh.

I'm turning my energies toward the conference paper I'm writing: it's gonna be kick ass and uber publishable. ;)

i got rejected from my 3rd-choice school (out of 3). It hit me harder than I expected, mostly I think because (1) I had hoped it would be easiest to get into, and (2) based upon past years' results reported I knew it would likely be the first I'd receive word from. I'd hoped that having one acceptance in the bag would make the rest of the season go better (especially since I have previously been rejected from my top choice).

i got rejected from my 3rd-choice school (out of 3). It hit me harder than I expected, mostly I think because (1) I had hoped it would be easiest to get into, and (2) based upon past years' results reported I knew it would likely be the first I'd receive word from. I'd hoped that having one acceptance in the bag would make the rest of the season go better (especially since I have previously been rejected from my top choice).

I'm going through a similar situation. I recently got rejected from my last place school which isn't even ranked. Thought it would be easy. It really makes you feel though you won't get into anywhere :(

So I can relate. But try to stay positive :) and keep the faith

Hope this helps you in some way.

I cannot imagine only applying to  2 or 3 programs. After getting rejected from my first and last choice I'm wondering if this is a bad omen of sorts.... Maybe I just need to prepare for  a plan B. It's pretty hard to have hope during this process. Good luck you all!

In all honest, it is always good to have a plan B no matter what.  I'd start thinking of your next steps just in case and that way if anything does not work out to your liking you will have something else to focus your energy on and hopefully still a positive step.  i have interviews and I'm still planning a plan B.  its a good insurance plan since some of this stuff is just too difficult to forecast.  Good luck, fingers crossed!

I also only applied to two universities, it was what worked for me. I found out I was rejected today, but the letter was dated January 28th so I'm kind of pissed because it's been here since Friday or earlier and my roommates didn't tell me :(. I was rejected by my first choice, and now I'm terrified waiting for my ONLY other school. I really have NO IDEA what I'm doing if I don't go to grad school, besides traveling to Germany this summer. I will need a job or some relevant experience in my field.

I applied to three programs, and I'm honestly expecting to get rejected from two. I couldn't find supervisors, and they're needed to get accepted for my degree program. Basically all my hopes are riding on one acceptance. 

How strong are the chances of rejection AFTER you have gotten an interview? I had a skype interview with two faculty members for PhD program on 27 Jan. No word from them since then

I haven't gotten any rejections yet, but based on the results search and forums, I'm pretty sure I'm out of the running for four of my schools (I didn't land an interview and plenty of others did). So I'm left waiting to hear back from my other three, and waiting for those inevitable rejections in the mail... :(

I received my first rejection a few weeks ago. I hit my freak out peak when that happened. Now, I think I'm fresh out of emotional energy and I'm totally numb to it all.

One good thing about getting that first rejection is that it forced me to be more realistic about my future and to get my Plan B in order. If/When the final door closes on my grad school possibilities, all other possibilities open up.

Got two rejections so far; one that I wasn't too keen on anyways, but one at a school I thought I had a good chance at and was closely matched with my research interests.  Starting to get worried, but I still have 11 programs to hear back from.  C'est la vie.  

If/When the final door closes on my grad school possibilities, all other possibilities open up.

I love this sentiment! Very comforting. I'm in the process of figuring out Plan B in the face of a lot of silent rejection so thinking about it that way is very helpful.

I cannot imagine only applying to  2 or 3 programs. After getting rejected from my first and last choice I'm wondering if this is a bad omen of sorts.... Maybe I just need to prepare for  a plan B. It's pretty hard to have hope during this process. Good luck you all!

Best of luck to you too!

Right there with you... got my first rejection before my first acceptance. Stung. I was surprised to hear from them so soon -- only two weeks after I submitted the application. Ouch.

A few days afterward, I got an e-mail saying I passed the Skype Interview and I am invited for an on-campus interview. Not sure how many others are invited and how many will be chosen from that bunch. It's my #3 choice.  

Still haven't heard from my first two choices. I've been trying to stay calm while the number of Interviewed applicants on the Results page increase... but I've only seen Internationals being interviewed by my #1 school. I wonder why?

Needless to say, I have not been productive lately... I need help.....