Rejection woes.....

WritingTrouble

I second this ! Unfortunately. The waiting is turning me into a human garbage disposal lol haha jk

What the application process offered me:

1. weight

2. loss of tones of money!! (dear God how much money have i spent!)

3. loss of patience

4. losing time over e-mail checking

5. become paranoid every time the e-mail goes piinnnggg

and so far i got rejections! yeahh!!

This thread is the worst best thing ever. So depressing but a little heartening to hear I'm not alone in rejection feelings and coping skills. Utter silence from my first choice (but recruitment weekend starts today so the writing's on the wall there), just got rejection from my second choice, and waiting to hear from the third choice.

Good luck to all, and I'll pour some bourbon on the ground for you.

A few days ago I was rejected to Washington - Seattle was a place that I probably would not have been able to go to anyway (too far away for my wife from her parents) but I was really pumped about the program and some of the faculty and their research. It hurt pretty bad at the time - I'm away from home at the moment and so had to deal with it by myself. 

Now, I'm not so upset about waiting - in my mind, not being rejected yet means they are still deliberating, and I am still in the running. It's like Schrödinger's cat, except I want to believe the cat is alive until proven dead.

Edited by natebassett

Now, I'm not so upset about waiting - in my mind, not being rejected yet means they are still deliberating, and I am still in the running. It's like Schrödinger's cat, except I want to believe the cat is alive until proven dead.

That's so very apt!

Rejection does hurt a lot. And rejections are implicit even in two of the programs that interviewed me.

My interview offers did ease the pain a little initially, but I'm still uncertain because my interviews weren't particularly good (the connection kept dying, there was a lot of disturbance), and I haven't heard back from them at all. Things are especially dicey since I'm an international student. There's just too much competition even at this stage.

Edited by DGChaos

I received my first rejection two weeks ago. I'm still in the denial stage of grief. I have an appointment to meet with the admissions director to learn how to strengthen my application. My eternal optimist keeps whispering I still have a chance, even though I don't.

I received my first rejection two weeks ago. I'm still in the denial stage of grief. I have an appointment to meet with the admissions director to learn how to strengthen my application. My eternal optimist keeps whispering I still have a chance, even though I don't.

I'm really sorry. I know it can be terribly hard, but you have to start focusing your energies on things that are in your control. Figuring how you are going to address the admissions directors advice is something you could be looking into. If you have other applications waiting, it's best to try to push them away for now. Easier said than done--I am having a really hard time trying not to think about the admissions too. But I know it's necessary. I have already applied and it's beyond my control.  

I was talking to a friend a short while ago. Most of it consisted of (jealous?) rants about undeserving folks who make it into top masters programs in the US from over here. These guys have done nothing (no publications/major projects) other than score well in school tests. And I'm talking about ONLY school tests, not even the GRE, TOEFL or whatever (even these have little value in assessing research potential). They just demonstrated they could succeed in classroom exercises and not require financial support.

Even though what I said in the last paragraph seems unrelated, it made me realize it is best to remain as impassive as possible. I can't allow the admissions decisions, decisions that have not yet arrived, results other folks are getting, or the general (sickening) outlook of people here that pursuing research is pointless influence me so much. If all the universities reject me, what can I do? I'll have try again next year, and I will have a stronger profile then. I'm just going to do my best to forget, and stop worrying.

I really hope you do get into a program. I guess best thing is to try to stay neutral and not hope for too much or too little.

Man, this thread hits so close to home. Having received my own fair share of implicit rejections from just about every school but one has really struck my ego. Just a month ago I thought I was a unique snowflake and (naively) dreamed of having to choose between offers  :lol:. Today, I can't even bring myself to watch the Olympics.  

Well guys, here's a virtual hug to you all. You're not alone!

We're all in this together...  :(

Well it is Valentine's day...

I was rejected on Valentine's Day. As soon as I had woken up I checked my gmail and there it was. I was disappointed and began assuming the worst.

But everything will work out! My mentor constantly tells me that life will go on. Have a plan B prepared but hope for the best.

Good luck!

I'll share in the rejection woes, as well. Just a reminder to everyone (and maybe even to myself): academe isn't as lucrative as it once was, especially for the humanities and social sciences. There are other paths (dare I say better?) if you don't get in. Don't give up hope!

Edited by GradApplicant201420

A friend has been telling me about this and I had to get in on this board in particular. Really hits home, I got rejected from 3/8 schools this week (including my number 1 and number 2) and man, it has been rough. I know UC-Denver will be a yes, I'm taking one (undergrad) class there this semester and my professor has told me several times that I'm a shoe-in and she's been lobbying for me since the department open house and that she and several other faculty members are excited to potentially have me there. She has also said that she would like me to be her T.A. for the fall (though even then, the funding kind of sucks, but oh well). I know I'm really lucky in this regard, but I'm still pretty bummed, as I was really hoping to get out of state. Central Florida, the only school I've been officially accepted to, is still an option, though I think I missed quite a few graduate assistantship position applications last week in the midst of my minor meltdown after hearing from Stanford (my number 1). I know it was a longshot, but still disappointing.

A friend has been telling me about this and I had to get in on this board in particular. Really hits home, I got rejected from 3/8 schools this week (including my number 1 and number 2) and man, it has been rough. I know UC-Denver will be a yes, I'm taking one (undergrad) class there this semester and my professor has told me several times that I'm a shoe-in and she's been lobbying for me since the department open house and that she and several other faculty members are excited to potentially have me there. She has also said that she would like me to be her T.A. for the fall (though even then, the funding kind of sucks, but oh well). I know I'm really lucky in this regard, but I'm still pretty bummed, as I was really hoping to get out of state. Central Florida, the only school I've been officially accepted to, is still an option, though I think I missed quite a few graduate assistantship position applications last week in the midst of my minor meltdown after hearing from Stanford (my number 1). I know it was a longshot, but still disappointing.

It's crazy, I applied to 7 longshots (out of 8 total), and I'm still disappointed to get turned down. I had a similar situation to yours - I had one program in the bag, but not my ideal one - and this didn't seem to soften the blow. Rejection hurts. There's no two ways around it.

Oh these many woes! I'm with y'all in this battlefield of pathos and ego. As an Mfa poetry/Complit applicant I find rejection from the Poetry programs especially hard (so far, Cornell).

The strange thing is that I've gotten into all the European schools, but the funding is precarious if not non-existant.

That's when it becomes an insult. I got an acceptance letter to the Erasmus Mundus Master's in Cultural Narratives today, but with NO funding! How does a money-less indebted student pay for More school?!? Blast!

I'm still waiting to hear from five other schools... Here's hoping!

This thread is really helpful and totally comforting. I'm also on the implicit-rejection wagon, though I'm trying to trick myself into thinking if I haven't heard back, I still have a chance! Rejected from 2, waitlisted at 1, 4 more to go...

And on top of that, kidney stones! My god. I'll be occupying my time with Carl Sagan, The Walking Dead, and alcohol (probably not great for the stones).

This thread is really helpful and totally comforting. I'm also on the implicit-rejection wagon, though I'm trying to trick myself into thinking if I haven't heard back, I still have a chance! Rejected from 2, waitlisted at 1, 4 more to go...

And on top of that, kidney stones! My god. I'll be occupying my time with Carl Sagan, The Walking Dead, and alcohol (probably not great for the stones).

With you on Walking Dead. At least it reminds us of how much worse things could be if we were in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.

Sorry to hear about these rejections. I've been there before, and it does get better. One must keep their eyes to the stars, through thick and thin, and things will work out. Good luck everyone and have faith.

My top choice and I had communication for almost a year, I had visited the campus and met with a ton of faculty members. I asked how I could become a competitive applicant and they told me to present at Society for Neuroscience conference - so I did.... 2 posters! I found out today that I'm not even being considered for an interview. 

That really hurts.... after a full year.