Rejection woes.....

WritingTrouble

First rejection hit me today. I'm just gonna scooch on closer and huddle with you all...

First one stings the most.

Welcome to the "Rej"...sorry about how you got here, but we're always happy to welcome new members with open arms, a box of tissue, and a cold beer.

are we the kids who get last picked for sports in middle school?  :D

We so are.

The outcast thing is growing on me, though.

Have you all applied before? This is my third round, and this is what I've learned about rejection:

You need to have your mind right about what you're doing with your life or with your field of choice. If you're rejected from a school, or all the schools you've applied to, that shit needs to roll off your back. Don't lose motivation because these schools didn't accept you - you and I know that there are a dozen variables that determine your admission or rejection.

You've come far - the money, the stress, the strength-of-will required to fill out the questionnaire and write the SoP and humble yourself for LoCs. Just keep your chin up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-d0LJ6ojg

Have you all applied before? This is my third round, and this is what I've learned about rejection:

You need to have your mind right about what you're doing with your life or with your field of choice. If you're rejected from a school, or all the schools you've applied to, that shit needs to roll off your back. Don't lose motivation because these schools didn't accept you - you and I know that there are a dozen variables that determine your admission or rejection.

You've come far - the money, the stress, the strength-of-will required to fill out the questionnaire and write the SoP and humble yourself for LoCs. Just keep your chin up. 

You are so right! I received an offer yesterday.. But another rejection today.. I am still waiting on 4 schools and preparing for more rejections.

That's actually been one of the songs I've been listening to a lot to keep myself motivated. That whole album, actually. 

This post is on-point, though. That's what I've learned from my three rounds of applications. It's really hard to stay motivated for other work (I lost my entire night last night to just feeling super bummed about being wait listed or rejected from a school I thought was perfect), but you have to feel everything and then move on. At least that's what I keep telling myself, or else I'd just be sitting around like a lump.

I got my first rejection a couple weeks ago. It was sad because it was my #1 choice and the first result I got back. But then last week I got an acceptance. The two combined, rejection from #1 and acceptance from a perfectly good school, means that the rest of the decisions don't seem as bad (although I do want to know them). Like I know I probably got rejected from one that sent out acceptances yesterday, and it's fine. Nothing personal.

Still kind of sad about the #1 though. If I'm still feeling bitter about it in a couple years though, I suppose I can reapply as someone about to get an MA? Or more likely, I'm just trying to think about how to do the research I really wanted to do there, just at a school I actually get accepted too. Create my own possibilities and all that.

1 rejection here. I knew it was coming and for some reason was still bummed when I got it. Hang in there. The wait is killing me (as I am sure it is for all of you), but hopefully it will be over soon (?).

Edited by johnreggae

I just applied to two programmes. Imagine what I am going through. If one of them rejects me, it would be unimaginably tormenting for me to wait for the other one  :unsure:

And the decision from one of them is due in the second week of February 

I only applied to two too. You're not alone. I already see some people from that University on the results page being offered phone interviews... 

I only applied to two too. You're not alone. I already see some people from that University on the results page being offered phone interviews... 

I've only applied to one. The waiting is torture!  :mellow:

I've gotten one rejection... I'm paranoid about the rest. I'm having a really hard time now seeing other people get interviews/invites/acceptances to the programs that I really want to be at. It's driving me crazy. I can't even be happy for them, I'm totally envious and jealous. I have a lot of confidence in my qualifications but I'm completely worn out from anxiety over the thought of more rejections.

My first notification was an acceptance. This relieved a lot of stress and I figured it would take the sting out of any rejection I got. Yet when I got my first two rejections today within a few hours of each other, it hurt like hell. Rejection is no fun, no matter what the circumstances. 

Good luck to those who are still waiting on good news. 

I cannot imagine only applying to  2 or 3 programs. After getting rejected from my first and last choice I'm wondering if this is a bad omen of sorts.... Maybe I just need to prepare for  a plan B. It's pretty hard to have hope during this process. Good luck you all!

I can. When you're an International Student with no money to speak of, you have no option but to apply to only 2 or 3 programs and hope for the best. It's a terrible situation to be in but such is life.