If I weren't in academe, I'd be...

So say this whole "academia" thing doesn't work out. What would be your backup plan?

Mine is to start a hot chocolate shop. Yep, a hot chocolate shop. Or join the CIA.

Sadly, at this point, I feel like succeeding at either of those options is more likely than getting into a PhD program for me :(

I'm feeling glum and I haven't even gotten any rejections! Boo. This game is a confidence killer.

I've always been good with my hands. Like handicraft, knitting, embroidery... I sometimes say, if I hadn't grown up in a time when women actually can pursue academic careers, I probably could have earned my way as a seamstess or something like that.

Already freaking a bit because I don't think I got into my 2 top schools (people have begun to receive acceptances, and I'm guessing my rejection letter will just take a week or so).

I think I may apply to be a dancer in a small company (I'm trained in ballet and ballroom), or be a dance teacher. Take some courses and try again next year :P 

Working in a secondhand bookstore.

Or here:

I want to open a tea shop/bookstore.  The world needs more tea. *still might do this someday*.

Either that, or I'll just become a backpacking bum in England.  I could be happy there...

Tea and books are a pretty awesome combo, can't argue with that :)

I'd like to own a small bookstore that sells the kind of books that I'd like to buy in my local bookstore but have to find on Amazon. It would also have coffee, crafts, and really nice reading and working areas. I would also like to run a community center.

This! Exact this! A couple of friends and I had this plan to start a coffee shop plus library.

This! Exact this! A couple of friends and I had this plan to start a coffee shop plus library.

This honestly is my exact plan, too. Haha. I guess we Englishy folks think alike. 

This honestly is my exact plan, too. Haha. I guess we Englishy folks think alike.

I know right! I think we can't stay away from books and food :)

I mean,come on! The world would definitely be a better place with our libraries and bookstores :)

Edited by Eternal Optimist