2014 SLP Admissions Thread

I woke up to a notification of acceptance from Portland State University! I'm so excited to have one out-of-region option! I might try to do a visit/vacation now that I know I'm in. Does anyone know anything about how PSU does funding?

Congratulations, Autismadvocate! I'm really happy for you, especially since I know you'd get into USF and that's the ONLY school I applied to. One more available slot for me! Seriously, though - it's fantastic news that you got into your top choice.

Congratulations to you as well, SLPamy!

So, I need some advice.  

I've been really fortunate to get into a few great programs.  I've narrowed it down to four: MGH, Maryland-College Park, Temple and just yesterday I got accepted to University of Washington MedSLP.  I know, I'm one lucky SOB.

My question to you guys is, if I think I belong in a medical setting, is it a no-brainer to go to UW?  Moving shouldn't be too much of an issue.  For argument's sake, let's say money isn't an issue (though of course it is).

Well - I am happy to say through a champagne hangover that I was accepted last night to NYU and wait listed at UW Seattle - my two top choices!!!!!! I am over the moon with excitement, I found out at work and could not WAIT to tell all my forum peeps! haha you guys have been so fantastic through this whole process! Congrats to all the other acceptances, this is my second year applying so I am so thankful to have gotten in this round! 

So, I need some advice.  

I've been really fortunate to get into a few great programs.  I've narrowed it down to four: MGH, Maryland-College Park, Temple and just yesterday I got accepted to University of Washington MedSLP.  I know, I'm one lucky SOB.

My question to you guys is, if I think I belong in a medical setting, is it a no-brainer to go to UW?  Moving shouldn't be too much of an issue.  For argument's sake, let's say money isn't an issue (though of course it is).

Seattle is a great city and the school is fantastic! Congratulations! :D  I say UW because it was one of my choices, but I was, unfortunately, rejected. You go become the best MED SLP there! 

So, I need some advice.  

Normally, I would say to go for the less expensive school - HOWEVER, it can be hard to land a medical setting placement for your CF year and going to a school that focuses heavily on MedSLP will increase your chances.  I think it might be worth it to do the MedSLP program if you are certain that you absolutely want to focus on the medical side of things.

I woke up to a notification of acceptance from Portland State University! I'm so excited to have one out-of-region option! I might try to do a visit/vacation now that I know I'm in. Does anyone know anything about how PSU does funding?

Congrats!!! PSU has very little funding - as far as I know, they pick a handful of students out of the 50 they accept and offer them assistantships, but overall it's not the standard to offer funding.

Just a side comment or maybe a learn from my mistake type situation... Choose the school your heart is set on or tells you to go to. I made the mistake last year. I was accepted to two schools and waitlisted at two. I committed to one school and received an assistantship...following a month later I was accepted off the waitlist. My heart told me to go with that school, but I chose the "oh well I have an assistantship route"

The school turned out, how can I put this kindly, horrible..... I withdrew and I'm now in waiting game situation again. So just from my situation choose with your heart, not funding.

I did as well! I'm hoping to go visit during the week of the 17th (my spring break) so I will try to find out more info when I'm there.

you guys applying to portland, did you do the post bach first? do they accept people that haven't done the post bach?

thanks!

I am waiting to hear for UBC.... this is my first time applying and I only applied to one school..I know... I know.. Rookie move... BUT my heart is set on Vancouver!!!!

I'M GOING INSANE WAITING FOR UBC!!!!!!! Hopefully we hear next week/early the following week!

you guys applying to portland, did you do the post bach first? do they accept people that haven't done the post bach?

thanks!

I am waiting to hear for UBC.... this is my first time applying and I only applied to one school..I know... I know.. Rookie move... BUT my heart is set on Vancouver!!!!

Yes, my husband completed his post-bacc at PSU. They don't accept people who haven't completed the pre-reqs - i.e. there's no extended masters program.

Normally, I would say to go for the less expensive school - HOWEVER, it can be hard to land a medical setting placement for your CF year and going to a school that focuses heavily on MedSLP will increase your chances.  I think it might be worth it to do the MedSLP program if you are certain that you absolutely want to focus on the medical side of things.

That's a really good point.  Thanks.

thanks!

I'm a post-bac at PSU and I believe you have to complete the prereq courses first, but they can be done in a year. 

I just finished my interview at CSULB and was having an awesome day. Then I come on here to see that PSU has sent out acceptances, which I was not a recipient. Applying to grad schools has to be the biggest emotional roller coaster of my life. 

Edited by Windsey

MaxSLP - if you got in and it's definitely what you want, I say go for it! Congrats on getting in, btw. Yes, it's expensive, and Seattle's expensive, but the program is phenomenal. I don't know how much you know about it, but you don't just get the standard two placements. You get four placements your second year, all in medical settings, you get to spend a week learning to use an electrolarynx, and you learn how to use a stroboscope as well. They give you some medical setting-specific classes, too. So cool. If you're 100% sure that a medical setting is what you want, it's the best place to go to meet your goals as quickly as possible, I think. Through your four placements in medical settings you'll get lots of networking done which'll make arranging your CFY so much easier. :) Anyway, good luck with your decision. If you decide not to go, let 'em know so I have a chance of getting off the waitlist. :P

Edit: All of that being said, the MedSLP program isn't the only way to succeed. SLPs have been going to "normal" (a.k.a. non-medical) grad school programs since the dawn of time, and they all end up fine. If the MedSLP program won't end up working out for you, the other programs will still be able to give you the training you need; you just might have to put in a little more effort to end up in a medical setting.

Edited by Papaya91

I doubt they sent out all their acceptances at the same time, so there is still hope! Grad school is so stressful though- I'm not even applying until next year and I'm getting caught up in it all. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way! 

Congrats everyone on all the acceptances. I only applied to one program for this year and first round doesn't even go out til the end of March so I'm living vicariously through all of you, lol!!

OH MY GOODNESS GUYS, I GOT INTO FSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point I think I can reveal that it was my top choice school and I am definitely accepting (so anyone who applied to any of my other schools, know that you have one less competitor). They have the BEST autism program - which I also have to apply for, so expect me to continue posting with more application worries - and I'm SO excited about this!

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. I find myself checking and rechecking the letter they emailed (yes, it was email). This doesn't feel like real life.

I'll probably post again more when this has sunken in. But in the meanwhile OMG I GOT IN!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

Just a side comment or maybe a learn from my mistake type situation... Choose the school your heart is set on or tells you to go to. I made the mistake last year. I was accepted to two schools and waitlisted at two. I committed to one school and received an assistantship...following a month later I was accepted off the waitlist. My heart told me to go with that school, but I chose the "oh well I have an assistantship route"

The school turned out, how can I put this kindly, horrible..... I withdrew and I'm now in waiting game situation again. So just from my situation choose with your heart, not funding.

Fairy, this is AWESOME advice.  Thank you so much for sharing. 

I thought the anxiety of this process would end with getting accepted...false.  The consideration of Dream vs. Funding vs. Fit, and worrying that the three may not align, is giving me palpitations. 

The past 24 hrs have been crazy. I heard back from my first school and I got an invitation to interview at Our Lady of the Lake University. I also received my first waitlist and my first rejection. The interview definitely has softened the blow. I'm really excited to travel to TX for the first time. I hope I don't let my nerves get to me for the interview (article discussion)!

I've been stalking the threads for awhile and want to say congratulations to everyone who's received positive news recently :)

But, it's driving me crazy that people have heard from UGA and my portal still doesn't say anything. It's my 2nd year applying and I just want to know one way or the other!

Is anyone doing their undergrad at UNC-CH and have the inside scoop??? Have they made their way through notifying those accepted and waitlisted? 

Seems like any news from them (either acceptances, waitlist, rejection) is quite sparse this year.