Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

I haven't checked the Results in over a week. Just randomly, I decided to look for the program I went and interviewed with in early February. Bam, right at the top, they sent out an acceptance today. So sad over this one :( I wonder when they'll send the waitlist/rejection emails...

Edit: my feelings right now perfectly reflect psychological research that says being in 2nd place hurts more than 3rd.
http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty/keith.chen/negot.%20papers/MedvecMadeyGilovich_ContFactSatisf95.pdf

Edited by VulpesZerda

Decided to buy a pair of jeans today. I was down to two pairs that weren't ripped up or otherwise falling apart. My husband got some jeans, too. I put them all in the wash and we went downstairs to watch a movie. Came back up and discovered my mom put the jeans in the dryer. They were stretchy jeans. The kind that shrink. I always air dry my jeans so I don't have to do yoga in them to make them fit again. The pants are now too small and too short... they fit like skin on sausage.

I realize that if the worst thing to happen to me is that my jeans get shrunk, then I have a pretty good life. However, I'm really getting sick of living in my parents' basement. It's the little things like having my clothes shrunk or my food thrown away that drive me nuts. I just want a living space that is entirely ours. I can't wait for when we finally get our own apartment. This All in the Family stuff needs to end.

I also have a rash on my arm and the opposite hand. I think it's from washing dishes at school. Beakers, dissecting trays, etc. Back when I worked at various food places, I would get terrible rashes from the dish soap and the sanitizer. I eventually started wearing gloves and the problem went away. I guess I need to start doing that again.

I'm also really glad that the lab supervisor forgot to update my prep notes for the two labs I set up for. It's a great feeling when the lab instructors come to the weekly meeting and ask me where materials are and I have no idea what they're taking about.

I hate sharing a single bathroom with two roommates. They keep the bathroom clean and are pretty respectful, it's just that every time I REALLY need to use the bathroom, one of them takes a shower. Either they have the worst timing ever, or my body's waste removal system just likes to torture me :(.

For the record, we're all girls so these are NOT short showers.

Edited by kimmibeans

I had not met my prospective supervisor in person before I applied for a PhD with him, but since then I have been preparing an MSc project with him and I seriously think he will be a great supervisor. No added pressure for the PhD application, though. None at all.

I swear I'm in a 24 hour bad luck phase. Last night I burned myself pretty badly pan searing steaks. This morning I was running for the bus and the driver just went on by me :( then I almost fell on my way into lab. Sigh. I can only hope this bad luck doesn't reach my cells that should reach their OD around 5 today...

That feeling when everyone around you is starting to catch that flu bug that's going around and is drug-resistant, and you start hallucinating that you're developing symptoms every two or three days and go home to lie in bed, only to realize that it's a false alarm. The cycle restarts until everyone you know has gotten sick and recovered.

I was sick for five weeks.  FIVE WEEKS!  During that time I cycled through several illnesses and a couple of different antibiotics (both with their own fun side effects).  Five weeks of being a plague monkey.  I've been better for about a week.  So now that I'm better just in time for Valentine's Day and my birthday (which are very close together), my boyfriend comes down with some horrendous flu that renders him incapable of moving off the couch...except for video games of course.  How the hell did he survive five weeks with plague ridden me and then succumb to some illness no doubt acquired when we went out on Wednesday? 

And my office flooded due to glass pipes in the wall.  GLASS PIPES!  Which won't be fixed until the end of time (rough estimate) so I have to move to a new office.  Not a big deal, but I'm behind on research and my birthday sucked and I've spent all day doing chores and schoolwork.  WAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! 

I'm seriously considering a temper tantrum...

People who encroach on my space at the library by sitting within ten feet of me are annoying. I want to flip the table and walk away when that happens. For example, it is happening right now. 

Seriously!!!! Sometimes on weekends I'll get to the library right when it opens and will be the only person on the whole floor, and then 10 minutes later someone shows up and sits right next to me. This shouldn't be a big deal but every time I'm like OMG GET AWAY FROM ME in my mind...

People who encroach on my space at the library by sitting within ten feet of me are annoying. I want to flip the table and walk away when that happens. For example, it is happening right now. 

This is true on the bus as well.  The bus would be empty but then someone sits next me to me or right in front me! Just why???

Edited by attackonthedoctor

I was sick for five weeks. FIVE WEEKS! During that time I cycled through several illnesses and a couple of different antibiotics (both with their own fun side effects). Five weeks of being a plague monkey. I've been better for about a week. So now that I'm better just in time for Valentine's Day and my birthday (which are very close together), my boyfriend comes down with some horrendous flu that renders him incapable of moving off the couch...except for video games of course. How the hell did he survive five weeks with plague ridden me and then succumb to some illness no doubt acquired when we went out on Wednesday?

And my office flooded due to glass pipes in the wall. GLASS PIPES! Which won't be fixed until the end of time (rough estimate) so I have to move to a new office. Not a big deal, but I'm behind on research and my birthday sucked and I've spent all day doing chores and schoolwork. WAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I'm seriously considering a temper tantrum...

Sometimes I have "meltdowns" (adult temper tantrums) and they make me feel better. My boyfriend is pretty supportive when I go meltdown mode to just wrap me in my cocoon of blankets and to not speak words. It's actually fairly therapeutic.

I often feel this way in many situations. For example, the movie theater. I rarely go when a movie just comes out, so the theater never actually fills up. Yet somehow, even though there are lots of seats all over the place, someone will sit right next to me or my husband. It also happens at restaurants where you seat yourself. The place could be pretty much empty except for where I'm sitting, and some loudmouth will sit at the table next to me and annoy the hell out of me while I eat. It even happens at the grocery store. Most of them now have the self-checkouts, and sometimes I'll be scanning my items and someone will walk up behind me and stare at me, and occasionally make noises if I don't go fast enough. I even had this happen when there were three open registers.

Part of my thesis is a long analysis that uses some data I found in a grammar. I just met with a native speaker of the language, who basically said all that data is wrong. I now have to completely rework my analysis, and I'm annoyed that I wasted so much time writing up something that's totally invalid. I know this is part of the research process, but it's so frustrating. And I have to prepare for an Open House for Wednesday, so I can't just dive into the new data and figure it out.

I often feel this way in many situations. For example, the movie theater. I rarely go when a movie just comes out, so the theater never actually fills up. Yet somehow, even though there are lots of seats all over the place, someone will sit right next to me or my husband. It also happens at restaurants where you seat yourself. The place could be pretty much empty except for where I'm sitting, and some loudmouth will sit at the table next to me and annoy the hell out of me while I eat. It even happens at the grocery store. Most of them now have the self-checkouts, and sometimes I'll be scanning my items and someone will walk up behind me and stare at me, and occasionally make noises if I don't go fast enough. I even had this happen when there were three open registers.

When that happened I hope you went into slow motion mode :-).

When that happened I hope you went into slow motion mode :-).

One time, I stopped at the store after a waitress shift and I had lots of dollar bills. I think I only bought about $20 worth of food, but I put in each dollar nice and slowly, making sure I smoothed it out before putting it into the bill acceptor. Then I decided to get rid of some pennies for the change part of the total. I felt so evil!

Trying to book an airline ticket to go to an open house and I can't purchase it online from their website. In what 21st century world does a national airline not have a functioning website? Jesus Christ. It wouldn't normally be a big deal because I would just purchase a ticket from a different airline but this airline has prices that are about half the price of the others. 

People do this to me all of the time at the bus stop. I'll be standing fairly close to the stop with plenty of space around me, but then someone wants to be directly at the damn sign and breathing down my neck. I moved away from someone today and he rolled his eyes at me.

Oh, I forgot to tack this on to my last post.

What really floors me about the library are the people who think it's okay to talk on the phone. I find that so rude. I don't know how these people don't get embarrassed considering everyone and their grandmother can hear their conversations. To make things worse, so many people do not use an indoor voice when on the phone. You know, those people who automatically start speaking louder when they talk on a phone as if it helps the person on the other end hear them better. Can you hear me now? Good.

I swear, EVERY time I'm at the library there's some a-hole who thinks it's okay to talk on the phone. At least go to the lobby of the library if you need to talk. Good grief. There's an entire floor at my school's lib that is devoted to NO TALKING or being annoying but yet people still make phone calls while on it...

I swear, EVERY time I'm at the library there's some a-hole who thinks it's okay to talk on the phone. At least go to the lobby of the library if you need to talk. Good grief. There's an entire floor at my school's lib that is devoted to NO TALKING or being annoying but yet people still make phone calls while on it...

There isn't much enforcement of the no cell phones/talking at my current university's library, although people are usually pretty good about staying in the designated talking/phone zones (first floor and stairwells). Last semester I did have some person who would play music every time I tried to study. I'm not sure if they were just playing music on their laptop or if they had their headphones turned up really loud.

At my undergrad school, however, they were super serious about silence anywhere but the first floor. There were signs everywhere with an e-mail address and cell phone number (for texting) if someone was talking, and they actually took care of it. I remember sitting in a cubby studying for a physics test and someone started whispering to someone else about going for dinner later. In less than 30 seconds, a librarian came over told them both to leave.

There isn't much enforcement of the no cell phones/talking at my current university's library, although people are usually pretty good about staying in the designated talking/phone zones (first floor and stairwells). Last semester I did have some person who would play music every time I tried to study. I'm not sure if they were just playing music on their laptop or if they had their headphones turned up really loud.

At my undergrad school, however, they were super serious about silence anywhere but the first floor. There were signs everywhere with an e-mail address and cell phone number (for texting) if someone was talking, and they actually took care of it. I remember sitting in a cubby studying for a physics test and someone started whispering to someone else about going for dinner later. In less than 30 seconds, a librarian came over told them both to leave.

Omg. So jealous of this policy! I agree with everything vented here today about personal space and noise!

Oh, I forgot to tack this on to my last post.

What really floors me about the library are the people who think it's okay to talk on the phone. I find that so rude. I don't know how these people don't get embarrassed considering everyone and their grandmother can hear their conversations. To make things worse, so many people do not use an indoor voice when on the phone. You know, those people who automatically start speaking louder when they talk on a phone as if it helps the person on the other end hear them better. Can you hear me now? Good.

The library at my undergrad institution has quiet floors, whisper floors, and floors where you are allowed to talk normally.  I always went to the quite floors because I simply cannot concentrate with noise around me.  Of course, there was always some asshole on the stupid phone, or phones ringing loudly, or people just being generally loud. WTF?  What part of QUIET floor wasn't clear?  I'd always give them the evil eye if I could make eye contact.  Of course, many floors were also no-food floors, but some people would still bring in entire messy meals to eat there.  I've always been a stickler for rules, but this is about common courtesy!

The campus is also supposed to be a smoke-free campus, but tell that to everyone who doesn't give a monkey's ass!

Edited by Chiqui74

Not sure if anyone on this thread brought this one up yet, but one thing I have to vent from my recent experience - groups of people walking VERY SLOWLY and taking over the entire sidewalk. And CLEARLY they noticed that someone walking behind them is in a bit of hurry, and could have moved over to one side to let me through. But nope, they decide to continue on sluggishly and I eventually had to step off the sidewalk and run past them, and get off the road before I am smacked by an oncoming car.

Some people just don't read cues that well... sigh...

People do this to me all of the time at the bus stop. I'll be standing fairly close to the stop with plenty of space around me, but then someone wants to be directly at the damn sign and breathing down my neck. I moved away from someone today and he rolled his eyes at me.

Gah that is annoying... especially if that person has a stinky morning breath haha.

I also had an experience where I was withdrawing some cash from an ATM, and the person behind me had the nerve to stand pretty close behind me, also breathing down my neck. I was on the verge of yelling at him "What's so captivating? Would you like to know my current balance? Are you short on money??" But I decided to avoid any confrontation, just gave him a weird stare after I was finished, and left.

Edited by FoggyAnhinga