Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

Stupid me took him at his word. He apparently did cash in some bonds, but between the bank and work, he decided to spend the cash on pot and a cell phone. After a few weeks of him saying he'd have the money in a few days, I just made an insurance claim. I was concerned that because I didn't have his insurance info that I'd get screwed over by my insurance company somehow, but the nice insurance man told me it wasn't necessary since I had his contact info and license plate number. Thankfully he didn't deny doing it when the insurance company called him, so everything ended up fine, it just took a long time.

Classy gent.

Yeah I don't know how professors can handle hundreds of students at once. Grading must give you calluses.

I knew a professor that pretty much just lectured and had his TAs administer coursework in the tutorial sessions.  The only thing he had to do was put in the students' grades and double check the grades after his TAs graded them.  He only graded twice a semester: midterm exams and final exams.  Of course, he had tenure so he could do things like this and not get into too much trouble.  

I knew a professor that pretty much just lectured and had his TAs administer coursework in the tutorial sessions.  The only thing he had to do was put in the students' grades and double check the grades after his TAs graded them.  He only graded twice a semester: midterm exams and final exams.  Of course, he had tenure so he could do things like this and not get into too much trouble.  

Oh, yeah, I have TAd for such a professor as well. About 250 students, 10 TAs and one prof. It was not uncommon for TAs to mark exams and for the lecturer to only do a final check.

People (even faculty and current PhD students) keep telling me that I should have no trouble getting in. I know I am in a fairly good position, but people saying this stuff make me more and more anxious. WTH will I do with my life if it turns out I did NOT get in? :wacko: I appreciate the faith, but I would rather not anticipate getting in, at all. Even writing this freaks me out. Just leave me alone to suffer in silence, please.

Edited by Kleene

This is typically for any large research university professor. They might teach a couple more intensive seminars, but any lower level undergrad course is going to be like this. 

Ah needles... to all those who fear needles, you are not alone, because I too have a crazy fear of them (I don't mind finger pricks, but blood draw from arm veins... *shudders*). Seeing how I actually passed out the last time I had my blood drawn (which was far from pleasant), I don't think I'll have my blood drawn again for a long time... 

I once came super close to passing out at the vet's office when they gave our cat a shot. Went completely black, had to sit on the floor.

I understand eating in class.  Sometimes there's no time for lunch, or breakfast, or Elevenses, or whatever.  The consumption of crunchy things, anything in really crinkly packets, or really odorous items should be delayed until there aren't a bunch of other people trapped in a room with you.  

I HATE the smell of bananas.

People who ask for advice or recommendation on here, then put you down after you try your best to give advice and was  the only person who cared to apply. Alrighty, theeeen...

Maybe you should do some damn research on your own interests instead of asking strangers on the internet what you should do with your life. It definitely took me months worth of research to come to terms with my exact field of study...without anyone's advice either...that's for sure. 

Edited by Guest

People who ask for advice or recommendation on here, then put you down after you try your best to give advice and was  the only person who cared to apply. Alrighty, theeeen...

Maybe you should do some damn research on your own interests instead of asking strangers on the internet what you should do with your life. It definitely took me months worth of research to come to terms with my exact field of study...without anyone's advice either...that's for sure. 

I understand the feeling. I have seen lots of this during this application cycle... people with no clue about who to ask for recommendations, what schools to apply to, how to narrow their research interests, etc., and especially with those who have mediocre profiles that want to know if they have chance at top programs. Those in particular get very offended by honesty and are hostile to recommendations to aim lower or get more experience. I got really annoyed when one person asked about potential masters programs they could apply to and I suggested mine, and then they were completely dismissive of it because the program's webpage had a a few typos. With an attitude like that, I would be surprised if they got in anywhere.

I understand the feeling. I have seen lots of this during this application cycle... people with no clue about who to ask for recommendations, what schools to apply to, how to narrow their research interests, etc., and especially with those who have mediocre profiles that want to know if they have chance at top programs. Those in particular get very offended by honesty and are hostile to recommendations to aim lower or get more experience. I got really annoyed when one person asked about potential masters programs they could apply to and I suggested mine, and then they were completely dismissive of it because the program's webpage had a a few typos. With an attitude like that, I would be surprised if they got in anywhere.

Or even worse is when you downvote topics like that because they do not provide benefit to thegradcafe and a moderator sends you an angry email about downvoting.

GAH when your advisor and the professor leading your research course give you absolutely conflicting advice about which direction to take your project and then you start doubting the feasibility of the entire thing and consider starting over from scratch with completely new sources. I respect both of their opinions so much, but it's impossible for me to take advice from both as that advice literally conflicts!

Waiting to hear back on the majority of my applications but today one of the schools (Emory) gave me a notice on their portal that I was over the financial aid limit for 2015-16. What does that even mean???? Did this happen to ANYONE else at all because I'm losing my mind.

Of course they didn't leave a note. Personal responsibility isn't taught in schools anymore.

Ian, I experienced something similar yesterday (well, not exactly similar but still car-accident related lol). I was leaving the parking lot, and this stupid woman came out of nowhere (she was driving through empty parking spots apparently) and rammed my car's driver side. No injuries, but my driver's side door doesn't open. She was apologetic and seemed to have claimed all responsibility, but then, apparently she filed a claim, declaring that she inevitably hit my car because someone rear-ended her. TOTAL BS!!!! I mean, there were witnesses and even a CCTV which recorded EVERYTHING... and there weren't any cars that rear-ended her, obviously.

Which brings to another thing to vent, people who cause car accidents and claim no responsibility or make false reports!  :angry: And now, having to deal with this mess... gah... 

Edited by FoggyAnhinga

Ian, I experienced something similar yesterday (well, not exactly similar but still car-accident related lol). I was leaving the parking lot, and this stupid woman came out of nowhere (she was driving through empty parking spots apparently) and rammed my car's driver side. No injuries, but my driver's side door doesn't open. She was apologetic and seemed to have claimed all responsibility, but then, apparently she filed a claim, declaring that she inevitably hit my car because someone rear-ended her. TOTAL BS!!!! I mean, there were witnesses and even a CCTV which recorded EVERYTHING... and there weren't any cars that rear-ended her, obviously.

Which brings to another thing to vent, people who cause car accidents and claim no responsibility or make false reports!  :angry: And now, having to deal with this mess... gah... 

Well that should be an easy check for the police, being rear ended that hard will at least leave paint transfer/scrapes.

Her hitting you by driving incorrectly through the parking lot would have been a traffic ticket and an insurance rate increase at the worse. Filing a false police report / defrauding your insurance is jail time. I don't see how she thought it was the better way. Maybe she didn't think at all.

Edited by <ian>

Something like this happened to a friend. She was on her way somewhere on foot (I don't remember where), and some lady hit her with her minivan in the crosswalk while making a right turn. It was completely her fault. My friend had the right of way (the street crossing signal was on walk) and I'm sure the woman didn't even look when she made the turn. She didn't hit her hard and there wasn't any hospitalization required, but the lady actually put in her report to the police that my friend ran into the side of her minivan.

Another car accident story... I was in stop and go traffic one day, and I could see the woman behind me in my rearview mirror taking on her cell phone. Every time we moved a little, she would creep closer and closer before breaking. She finally hit me and we pulled into a parking lot to see if their was any damage. She jumped out, looked at the front of her car only (she didn't do much as glance at me or my car), then proclaimed there was no damage and that she was leaving. Granted, she didn't hit me hard and she only left a tiny scratch on my bumper, but I was really, really pissed that she wasn't even remotely concerned that there could be damage to my car. I used so many words while yelling at her...

I would also like to vent about people who eat in class. There is nothing more annoying than a crinkly package. Then to top it off, it is even more annoying when the food in the crinkly package is crunchy. Like really, you can't wait 50 minutes to stuff your face? One thing in particular I am thinking of are those Nature Valley granola bars that have the consistency of cement. Those are a double whammy for annoying food with the loud packaging and crunchiness. Good lord. 

I would also like to vent about people who eat in class. There is nothing more annoying than a crinkly package. Then to top it off, it is even more annoying when the food in the crinkly package is crunchy. Like really, you can't wait 50 minutes to stuff your face? One thing in particular I am thinking of are those Nature Valley granola bars that have the consistency of cement. Those are a double whammy for annoying food with the loud packaging and crunchiness. Good lord.

THIS. I have a class from 230-345. Not exactly prime meal times. This woman rolls in 20 minutes late, then proceeds to open an insanely loud bag of what smelled like cheese puffs. Whyyyyyy

Nature Valley you say? sl5c8WK.gif

Edited by <ian>

I loooooove those crunchy nature valley bars, but it's exactly like that gif! I make such a mess. I can just imagine someone eating those in class... the crinkling of the wrapper, followed by a tear, and then the gentle sound of granola raining all over the desk and floor. And that's before the eating begins.

Gosh, nothing smells worse than someone opening a bag of Fritos though. They smell like stinky feet. I don't know how people have the audacity to open stinky foods, especially in a small room. I would rather not smell food that smells like a sweaty sock while trying to pay attention. 

One semester, I had a class with a guy who would always eat an orange. But he wouldn't peel it into slices and eat it like a normal human being. He peeled the skin off, left the orange held together as a ball, and then would try to take bites out of the entire thing. Even five rows away you'd get hit with some juice droplets and all you could hear was SLURP lip smack SLURP SLURP. I wanted to kill him.