Where are you attending?

katethekitcat

Maybe this is a premature thread (especially for those still waiting on PhD admissions), but, at this point, many of us have received word back from many of the places we've applied. So, with that in mind:

Where are you headed this upcoming fall and for what program?  What were the major factors that contributed to your final decision?

Icahn. Epidemiology. Small program, big city, and home of the PhD program I'm most interested in. I've been looking for smaller programs because I went to a major university for my undergraduate and didn't enjoy being one out of GodKnowsHowMany students. It's New York because I've always been a big city type of person. I'm from Los Angeles, did my undergrad in the SF-Bay Area, so it felt like the "right" transition to go from LA to SF to NY. Their lower tuition also makes living in a big city doable (unlike BU, wtf?!). 

I know it's not a top ranked program, but it has what I'm looking for and it feels right. I don't know.

And yourself?

U of Michigan, Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology. Their faculty have exactly the research interests I was looking for - I've found at least 8 or 9 labs I could be happy in without trying - and the program is a perfect fit for my long-term goals. Will the tuition hurt my soul? Yes, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

U of Michigan, Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology. Their faculty have exactly the research interests I was looking for - I've found at least 8 or 9 labs I could be happy in without trying - and the program is a perfect fit for my long-term goals. Will the tuition hurt my soul? Yes, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Congrats! You'll love it at Michigan. I went there for my MPH. My wife (girlfriend at the time) worked at the hospital and had a great experience too. It's just a short walk from SPH.

I also got my MPH there (graduated last year). It was wonderful! Good luck and enjoy it!

Anyone have any experience or any knowledge about Virignia Commonwealth University's mph program?  I am from Virginia and the program at VCU seems to be the best in state option.  However, I have also been accepted to the University of Pittsburgh and Boston University but the idea of out of state tuition for these schools has me completely freaked out.

Guess I am looking for further assurance that the program does not matter as much as what you do in the program.. and does not matter so much to put yourself in the stress of going into hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt once you consider tuition, additional fees, and living costs!

Strongly considering Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health because of the school's reputation and relationship with international organizations.  I'm a little worried about tuition and housing... Anyone else considering Columbia?

Strongly considering Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health because of the school's reputation and relationship with international organizations.  I'm a little worried about tuition and housing... Anyone else considering Columbia?

Looks like we applied to a few of the same schools, and I am seriously considering Columbia.  What is the other school/s you are deciding between?

This thread makes me nervous, as I've only received one decision so far!  I had a rejection from Brown and an interview with UIC - still waiting to hear back from UIC, Yale, Johns Hopkins, and UC Irvine.  No other interviews... should I be worried??

I am considering Columbia too, the only thing throwing me off right now is the tuition/living costs in NYC

Looks like we applied to a few of the same schools, and I am seriously considering Columbia.  What is the other school/s you are deciding between?

I've heard wonderful things about University of Michigan's SPH but I went to U of M for undergrad and I've lived in Michigan my whole life so I think I'll decline the UM SPH offer just so I can experience living in another State. As of now, I'm considering both Emory and Columbia. I'm planning to visit Columbia and Emory in March.  I hope to make the best decision after visiting the campuses, attending a few lectures and talking to professors.  What other schools are you considering?

95% certain I'm heading to UNC for MCH. I'm just waiting to hear if there's a persuasive funding offer from anyone else before I make it final. However, it's the dream school, and I'm thrilled. 

I am considering Columbia too, the only thing throwing me off right now is the tuition/living costs in NYC

Those are my two concerns as well.  I think that it's a great school, especially for students who want to live in NYC.  The website stated that like 60% of Mailman students live in NYC after graduation so if one of your reasons for choosing Columbia over your other schools is location at least you know that there's a pretty good chance you'll stay in NYC after graduation.  

The student housing prices are not as horrible as they could be... The prices are comparable to the housing prices I encountered while I was an undergraduate student at University of Michigan- that somewhat mitigates the guilt and uneasiness I feel about Columbia's high tuition.

Decisions, decisions...

Those are my two concerns as well.  I think that it's a great school, especially for students who want to live in NYC.  The website stated that like 60% of Mailman students live in NYC after graduation so if one of your reasons for choosing Columbia over your other schools is location at least you know that there's a pretty good chance you'll stay in NYC after graduation.  

The student housing prices are not as horrible as they could be... The prices are comparable to the housing prices I encountered while I was an undergraduate student at University of Michigan- that somewhat mitigates the guilt and uneasiness I feel about Columbia's high tuition.

Decisions, decisions...

I feel your pain, the decision-making is going to be tough.

Agree that Columbia is an incredible school plus living in NYC sounds amazing. As a Canadian, I know that I would like to go back home to work after my degree unless I completely fall in love with the city I'm in---which very might well happen with Columbia. So it's good to know that 60% statistic exists. Kind of makes the dilemma of choosing even more difficult.

I see that you were also accepted to Michigan, would you go there for graduate school? I hear only good things about Ann Arbor.

Think I'll have to sit in the corner and twiddle my thumbs until all acceptances/rejections roll in I guess, the schools in Canada only recently had application deadlines so it might take some time.

I've heard wonderful things about University of Michigan's SPH but I went to U of M for undergrad and I've lived in Michigan my whole life so I think I'll decline the UM SPH offer just so I can experience living in another State. As of now, I'm considering both Emory and Columbia. I'm planning to visit Columbia and Emory in March.  I hope to make the best decision after visiting the campuses, attending a few lectures and talking to professors.  What other schools are you considering?

Although I feel obligated to give a second look to the schools that have already given me merit aid, I think that it will come down to Columbia and Emory, which are my two dream schools.  I'm visiting both next month too!

I have it down to three - but even that's pretty tricky. Accepted to Columbia (MPH - Epi conc ID), Yale (MPH EMD), and Harvard (via phone MS in ID Epi). Leaning towards Harvard because of the resources in Boston, the strong methods training within the program, and its high regard on the PH circuit. 

NY costs are scaring me - and I don't think I can justify them when I can go to HSPH for cheaper. 

This thread makes me nervous, as I've only received one decision so far!  I had a rejection from Brown and an interview with UIC - still waiting to hear back from UIC, Yale, Johns Hopkins, and UC Irvine.  No other interviews... should I be worried??

I don't think you should be too worried as there are multiple rounds of interviews (if the program does interviews at all). I also applied to Brown (Phd Epi)...haven't heard ANYTHING nor has there been a change to my application status link, so I'm assuming that's a rejection. I also applied to UC Irvine (Phd Epi) and received an email from them on Feb 5 stating that "recommendation was not favorable for that level; however, your application can be considered at the Master’s level" sooooo now I have an interview with them on March 6 for their masters program.

So hang in there! What was the school that you already received a decision from?

I feel your pain, the decision-making is going to be tough.

Agree that Columbia is an incredible school plus living in NYC sounds amazing. As a Canadian, I know that I would like to go back home to work after my degree unless I completely fall in love with the city I'm in---which very might well happen with Columbia. So it's good to know that 60% statistic exists. Kind of makes the dilemma of choosing even more difficult.

I see that you were also accepted to Michigan, would you go there for graduate school? I hear only good things about Ann Arbor.

Think I'll have to sit in the corner and twiddle my thumbs until all acceptances/rejections roll in I guess, the schools in Canada only recently had application deadlines so it might take some time.

I received my bachelor's degree from U of M.  I absolutely loved both the school and Ann Arbor! Ann Arbor has amazing food and a great nightlife!  One of my friends told me that Ann Arbor was voted the best town for singles. I've neither seen nor heard that from anyone/ anywhere else but I can believe it!

Michigan is a wonderful school!  I graduated in 2011 and I still meet with my academic advisor.  The professors sincerely care about the students.  Michigan is a research school so most professors do research outside of teaching which means that they are accessible because they are always at the school. I had no problem attaining reference letters for SOPHAS because I formed great relationships with so many of my professors.  Most professors hold office hours like 3 times a week with accessible times, host dinners at their homes, and invite students to meet them for lunch which is why many students become well acquainted with their professors (I think this is important for MPH students who want to continue school to obtain an additional master's or PhD). One thing that concerns me about Columbia is that the professors actually work in the field (which is a positive in terms of networking but not so great in terms of professors getting to know students outside of class). If I had not attended Michigan for undergrad and if I enjoyed snow and this snowpocalypse, I would choose Michigan.  

SN: For all of the prospective Michigan students: Football Saturdays at Michigan are amazing!  Grad students DO attend Michigan football games and prepare to be obsessed with Michigan football!

I don't think you should be too worried as there are multiple rounds of interviews (if the program does interviews at all). I also applied to Brown (Phd Epi)...haven't heard ANYTHING nor has there been a change to my application status link, so I'm assuming that's a rejection. I also applied to UC Irvine (Phd Epi) and received an email from them on Feb 5 stating that "recommendation was not favorable for that level; however, your application can be considered at the Master’s level" sooooo now I have an interview with them on March 6 for their masters program.

So hang in there! What was the school that you already received a decision from?

Sorry I've just seen this! You were right - decisions started rolling in just after I posted.  I have been accepted at UIC in the Health Policy & Administration PhD program, with assistantship etc - really exciting - so I'm almost definitely attending there.  The others have been rejections, except for UC Irvine which has still not been in touch at all.  I think I can assume that's a No.  Good luck with your interview tomorrow!

Is anyone else considering University of Illinois at Chicago?

Deciding between BU MPH and Emory MSPH, both in Epi. Heavily leaning towards Emory, however, so I'll probably find myself in Atlanta come fall! (Still haven't heard from UCB though...)