Is No Response an Implicit Rejection?

KomalG

Hello everyone. I applied to some Philosophy PhD programs (8 in total) in Canada and the U.S. I have gotten one response so far, which is a rejection (from MIT). Two of the other universities I have applied to have sent out several acceptances, as reported by people on the results page here. If I haven't gotten any email from those universities yet, but 6 or 7 acceptances and some wait lists have already been sent out, and they were all sent out earlier (e.g. beginning of February), should I assume that I didn't get in? Is there any peculiar circumstance that would lead some department to take longer to process someone's application? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

According to others on the forums, the acceptances typically go out in waves. If you were clearly not meant for their program, they'd have rejected you already. You probably aren't the top choice, so they're evaluating other applications etc. Based on this, you shouldn't count yourself out yet.

BUTTT, it's hard not to feel that way. I'm feeling it too. I've seen so many acceptances go out already, and haven't heard a peep about my application. I guess we just have to hang in there and just work on plan B, just in case.

I dunno. If I didn't get a response, there are one of two possibilities.

1) I'm being rejected, or will be eventually, but they haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger. At least they haven't decided that you were SO bad that they needed to give you a mercy kill or immediately toss you out. They're still mulling it over, probably

2) I'm going to be the sloppy seconds. Doesn't exactly feel super awesome, but at least I'm in?

Sometimes a delay would imply a clear rejection, they just haven't gotten to that stack since they are probably busy dealing with those that are accepted. I had seen this happen to a buddy of mine. As much as they may be getting a good number of inquiries from students regarding the decisions, their annoyance or ignorance of a prospective student is not acceptable. We are paying a lot of money to ensure that they take the time with every application. The schools arrogance in dealing with their applicants is not so uncommon but needless to say shouldn't make you feel dejected and opt out.

I'm just confused about schools that have had interviews that I wasn't invited to, yet have not rejected me. I assume it's coming but I'm not sure why it is taking so long.

This is my concern, too. I know interviews have to be coming up for this one program. Historically, the invites go out early February. Yet I haven't received notice either way.

This particular app did have a Kiss of Death (sent the wrong SOP with another school's name) so I don't have high expectations... but it'd be nice to know.

This is my concern, too. I know interviews have to be coming up for this one program. Historically, the invites go out early February. Yet I haven't received notice either way.

This particular app did have a Kiss of Death (sent the wrong SOP with another school's name) so I don't have high expectations... but it'd be nice to know.

I heard stories of people getting in despite this. But they might just be rumors. Good luck!

I heard stories of people getting in despite this. But they might just be rumors. Good luck!

Yep, it's happened! My friend got a call from a POI about an unofficial acceptance and was teased a bit about putting not only the wrong school name, but also the wrong department. 

Yep, it's happened! My friend got a call from a POI about an unofficial acceptance and was teased a bit about putting not only the wrong school name, but also the wrong department. 

Maaaaaaaan, don't say stuff like this to me. haha. I hope I'm in the same group as your friend.

Don't give up hope!

A masters student in my lab was accepted into a PhD program at Cornell  in March! There was a person that originally accepted the position and ended up bailing for some reason or another. The masters student was next choice and was offered a position. So you never know what will happen over the next month or so.

With that being said, if you're really worried you could always try emailing and asking about your status.

So I guess that means I'm rejected then  :( . Oh, well, I still have 6 other places to hear back from.

I'm not sure what's the basis for your dejection here. I think the theme of this thread is that if you're not officially rejected, there's still a chance.

The basis of my dejection is the following reasoning:

The two universities that I believe I am rejected from (Berkeley and UofT) have sent out acceptances and wait lists, but no rejections. I have not received anything yet. My having been rejected is currently the best hypothesis as it explains why I haven't gotten an acceptance or wait list yet, and it is consistent with my not having received a rejection yet since nobody's received a rejection yet.

Of course there is still a minor chance that I'll get in somehow, even though I'm apparently not even on the wait list. But I think I'm going to go with assuming I'm rejected for now. It's okay though: only one of those unis actually matters to me (Berkeley). The other one is my lowest choice uni anyway.

I found out today that I'm high on the wait list for UT Austin, which is pretty sweet. That's also one of my top choices (along with Berkeley and Oxford).

Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone. They were helpful :).

If you've seen acceptances but no rejections from a given department on the results page, then it's probably only a matter of time before the axe falls.

If you've seen acceptances and rejections, but you've received no notice after a couple of days, then you're probably in that painful, always hopeful limbo where you might be chosen as sloppy seconds, or thirds. But probably you will get screwed. Possibly right at the end when it will hurt the most.

So it goes. This is killing me!!!

If you've seen acceptances but no rejections from a given department on the results page, then it's probably only a matter of time before the axe falls.

If you've seen acceptances and rejections, but you've received no notice after a couple of days, then you're probably in that painful, always hopeful limbo where you might be chosen as sloppy seconds, or thirds. But probably you will get screwed. Possibly right at the end when it will hurt the most.

So it goes. This is killing me!!!

Ahh blunt, but so true. Best of luck to all us hopeful sloppy seconds

• 5 years later...
On 2/24/2014 at 1:53 PM, KomalG said:

The basis of my dejection is the following reasoning:

The two universities that I believe I am rejected from (Berkeley and UofT) have sent out acceptances and wait lists, but no rejections. I have not received anything yet. My having been rejected is currently the best hypothesis as it explains why I haven't gotten an acceptance or wait list yet, and it is consistent with my not having received a rejection yet since nobody's received a rejection yet.

Of course there is still a minor chance that I'll get in somehow, even though I'm apparently not even on the wait list. But I think I'm going to go with assuming I'm rejected for now. It's okay though: only one of those unis actually matters to me (Berkeley). The other one is my lowest choice uni anyway.

I found out today that I'm high on the wait list for UT Austin, which is pretty sweet. That's also one of my top choices (along with Berkeley and Oxford).

Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone. They were helpful :).

Do they change your application status to waitlisted? Do I have to email them to ask if I am in the waitlist?

59 minutes ago, T.C.96 said:

Do they change your application status to waitlisted? Do I have to email them to ask if I am in the waitlist?

You are speaking to someone who posted over 5 years ago.  It varies from program to program, but most unis will email you to let you know.  The "silent wait list" is not uncommon and that just means universities wait until all decisions are made before they reject everyone who didn't make the cut.

I think the universities rank each candidates by X factors and generate a queue, ranked highest to lowest. Every time, the admission office receives decline of an offer. They just pop 1 candidate off the queue. Knowing one's position in the queue would be super helpful!!

- This is only a speculation by me