Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Whoever's waiting for Toronto to release, the committee met about a week ago and from what I'm feeling out, decisions have been made. If it's already been a week since, there might be complications...or it's just the stupidly heavy bureaucracy that is the University of Toronto.

Anna Leigh, I thought so too, though I've heard from two people now that the Vandy history department is fighting for an additional slot with the Graduate School before sending out admits.

Did you apply to Vandy? If so, what field?

Hi Josh, yes I am applying to Vanderbilt, for late medieval European history. Caferro is my contact there. I'm from the South so I'm really hoping to have this option! I'm all for the department fighting for additional slots. :)

...or it's just the stupidly heavy bureaucracy that is the University of Toronto.

I want to upvote this so hard but then when we all get good news later I'll be bummed to have run out.

You speak such truth, though.

Whoever's waiting for Toronto to release, the committee met about a week ago and from what I'm feeling out, decisions have been made. If it's already been a week since, there might be complications...or it's just the stupidly heavy bureaucracy that is the University of Toronto.

Thanks very much!

So on my Duke applicant ID portal (applyweb type-thing) I now have the option to withdraw my application? I haven't heard one way or the other from the program so why are they giving me the option to withdraw my application?

Thanks for the inside info on Harvard, telkanuru!

I have to say, I'm surprised that almost all admits have already been notified. Normally, in the case of such a popular program, between 1/3 and 1/2 of all admitted students would report their results on Grad Cafe, judging by the cohort sizes and number of self-reported admissions for Princeton, Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, etc. Admittedly, traditionally there have been less Harvard acceptances on the site, but there usually are at least 6-7. Yet so far we've only seen 3 acceptances. I find it unlikely that Harvard only accepted 6-9 people. Are the vast majority of Harvard admits not reporting their results? That is pretty weird since it's not a general trend.

Edited by L13

I have to say, I'm surprised that almost all admits have already been notified. Normally, in the case of such a popular program, between 1/3 and 1/2 of all admitted students would report their results on Grad Cafe, judging by the cohort sizes and number of self-reported admissions for Princeton, Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, etc. Admittedly, traditionally there have been less Harvard acceptances on the site, but there usually are at least 6-7. Yet so far we've only seen 3 acceptances. I find it unlikely that Harvard only accepted 6-9 people. Are the vast majority of Harvard admits not reporting their results? That is pretty weird since it's not a general trend.

Gosh, I hope you are right!

I think it varies, and there may be more borderline cases this year, but I believe the incoming class this year is reduced somewhat to compensate for the fact that all 20 initial offers last year accepted. I was told in my own case it was not a totally done deal, but almost certainly a no.

Professors here do usually go full-court press once they've selected their candidates.

Edited by telkanuru

Even on such a surprisingly slow day for notifications, thegradcafe.com has completely eclipsed Facebook's capacity as a productivity destroying time suck. In all honesty though, I don't think the company could be much better. Thanks to everyone for keeping things so positive.

Even on such a surprisingly slow day for notifications, thegradcafe.com has completely eclipsed Facebook's capacity as a productivity destroying time suck. In all honesty though, I don't think the company could be much better. Thanks to everyone for keeping things so positive.

I think it would be awesome if after all this is over we could have a GradCafe History get together.  You guys are great companions on this journey.  Cue the tissues.

On that note, I'm out of upvotes!

But seriously, we should keep in touch after we're all immersed in our fabulous PhD programs next term! It'll be nice to have a group to commiserate with over comps and other grad school hurdles. I'm sure we will run into each other at conferences, too. Who knows, we may be reviewing one another's books in the near future ;)

Other boards on this site are definitely not like this.

I feel like a lot of the gist I was getting was that there are a lot of people who act like a bunch of peacocks, strutting their stuff,  and telling everyone how impressive they are. It has a distinctly competitive and elitist feel to it. I had people in my general field send me PMs about how impressive they are to try to psych me out. I got the feeling that a lot of people stretch the truth re: their stats.

On here, not so much. I've pretty much read through this whole thread (too much time on my hands, clearly) and you guys are so supportive and kind! It really is a good bunch of people applying this cycle to history programs. :)  

If anyone is in the Chicago area and wants to commiserate in person, PM me and we'll do coffee and obsessively check our emails together. 

Other boards on this site are definitely not like this.

I feel like a lot of the gist I was getting was that there are a lot of people who act like a bunch of peacocks, strutting their stuff,  and telling everyone how impressive they are. It has a distinctly competitive and elitist feel to it. I had people in my general field send me PMs about how impressive they are to try to psych me out. I got the feeling that a lot of people stretch the truth re: their stats.

On here, not so much. I've pretty much read through this whole thread (too much time on my hands, clearly) and you guys are so supportive and kind! It really is a good bunch of people applying this cycle to history programs. :)  

If anyone is in the Chicago area and wants to commiserate in person, PM me and we'll do coffee and obsessively check our emails together. 

Missed you by a year :( . have you been enjoying the program?

Missed you by a year :( . have you been enjoying the program?

I've been out of school for almost 4 years. Graduated in '11 with my MA. 

I wish I had school to distract me! My job is done purely remotely over the computer/phones, so I literally sit in home in my pjs with work on one computer screen and my email inbox/grad cafe on the other. SO not healthy!

Edited by Aubstopper

On that note, I'm out of upvotes!

But seriously, we should keep in touch after we're all immersed in our fabulous PhD programs next term! It'll be nice to have a group to commiserate with over comps and other grad school hurdles. I'm sure we will run into each other at conferences, too. Who knows, we may be reviewing one another's books in the near future ;)

Yes!!! This is an excellent plan. 

Seriously, one of the greatest things about this board is turning competition into camaraderie. I like being excited for you guys when things start looking gloomy on this end. It's nice to have a community. I've never been a big fan of the cutthroat competition thing; ambition is great, but life isn't friggin' Game of Thrones. (I know, history forum, a well-considered early modern court reference would probably be more appropriate :P) Considering how difficult the academic career path looks these days, collaboration and support networks will have to be the way forward.