popular things you hate

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I used to watch the Big Bang Theory off and on but now I just can't. It's kind of awful. There was an episode where Sheldon sexually harasses his assistant and we're supposed to not take it seriously because Sheldon is "quirky" or whatever. He then says the same awful things to the woman in charge of HR and all he has to do is take a sexual harassment course, which he forces that same assistant to do for him because he can't be bothered. There's another episode where Leonard is going out to the movies with Penny as friends and he decides that he doesn't have to care about her movie opinions or pay for her because he's no longer dating her. He then admits to faking being interested in the things she likes when they were going out so that she'd sleep with him, but not that she's not putting out he can just be a jerk. Overall, though, the show does a good job of showing the uglier parts of nerd culture.

I used to watch the Big Bang Theory off and on but now I just can't. It's kind of awful. There was an episode where Sheldon sexually harasses his assistant and we're supposed to not take it seriously because Sheldon is "quirky" or whatever. He then says the same awful things to the woman in charge of HR and all he has to do is take a sexual harassment course, which he forces that same assistant to do for him because he can't be bothered. There's another episode where Leonard is going out to the movies with Penny as friends and he decides that he doesn't have to care about her movie opinions or pay for her because he's no longer dating her. He then admits to faking being interested in the things she likes when they were going out so that she'd sleep with him, but not that she's not putting out he can just be a jerk. Overall, though, the show does a good job of showing the uglier parts of nerd culture.

Agreed. There are a few good episodes. But the past several seasons have just been awful: lazy writing, tired jokes, no good story arcs.

The phrase "educate yourself." Such an incredibly condescending thing to say.

OMG YES. I cannot stand it. Especially the "social justice warriors/SJWs" who say their purpose is to raise awareness and create dialogue but when anyway asks a question it's "educate yourself" and "its not my job to educate you". BUT YOU JUST SAID YOU WANTED TO CREATE DIALOGUE. I guess what they meant to say was, "I talk. You listen. End of discussion."

Reality Television

Politics

Diet beverages  (sugar substitutes taste vile)

butterscotch

Peppermint

Canned strawberry pie filling (the goop tastes disgusting).

Zucchini and eggplant

50 Shades of Gray...awful books...don't even want to see the movie.  If you're into BDSM there are way better writing examples out there than this.

THE IPHONE

I have one, but god, is it an overrated commodity...

I hate all Apple products, except for the Apple II computer which provided lots of enjoyment for me in grade school. I don't get why people go nuts over iPhones, iPads, and iPods. Actually, I'm not sure if people really care about iPods anymore, but they did at one point. The whole concept of needing to use iTunes to put music on an iPhone is weird. I'm not too fond of the interface, either. The only aspect I actually like is the app store... there are some iPhone apps that aren't available on Android.

I'm sure this is going to go over like a lead balloon here but: alcoholic beverages. They don't taste that good (or at least not as good as beverages without alcohol) and I don't like my brain feeling fuzzy (I've never been drunk, but I suspect I'd be a mean one). We're so obsessed with alcohol as culture (wine tours! craft beers!) and honestly I just don't get it.

I'm sure this is going to go over like a lead balloon here but: alcoholic beverages. They don't taste that good (or at least not as good as beverages without alcohol) and I don't like my brain feeling fuzzy (I've never been drunk, but I suspect I'd be a mean one). We're so obsessed with alcohol as culture (wine tours! craft beers!) and honestly I just don't get it.

I'm with you on this one!

I'm sure this is going to go over like a lead balloon here but: alcoholic beverages. They don't taste that good (or at least not as good as beverages without alcohol) and I don't like my brain feeling fuzzy (I've never been drunk, but I suspect I'd be a mean one). We're so obsessed with alcohol as culture (wine tours! craft beers!) and honestly I just don't get it.

I understand the cultural aspect of it, at least a bit (way more than I understand the appeal of being drunk); alcohol has a long and interesting history! Plus the process of making it can be fascinating too. But other than that, yeah, I agree.

Even though I drank frequently around the time I turned 21, I can't say I really had more fun than if I was sober. It was all about hanging out with friends, throwing some burgers on the grill, and sitting around the fire or the living room having great conversations. This could easily have been achieved without alcohol, would have been cheaper, and wouldn't result in feeling icky the next day.

Nowadays, I can't be bothered with alcohol. It never tasted good, and I think now I can taste it even more. The last two times I did drink, I woke up with horrible hangovers. It's just not worth it, and honestly, there are way better ways to spend my time. Besides, way back when, it was fine to drink vodka and gatorade, and it tasted ok. Now everyone my age is into wine and beer, and I find both to be absolutely disgusting.

I hate all Apple products, except for the Apple II computer which provided lots of enjoyment for me in grade school. I don't get why people go nuts over iPhones, iPads, and iPods. Actually, I'm not sure if people really care about iPods anymore, but they did at one point. The whole concept of needing to use iTunes to put music on an iPhone is weird. I'm not too fond of the interface, either. The only aspect I actually like is the app store... there are some iPhone apps that aren't available on Android.

now the obsession over apple products is basically either mere commodity fetishism or because apple users are accustomed to using apple products (making a switch to other operating systems more difficult)

now the obsession over apple products is basically either mere commodity fetishism or because apple users are accustomed to using apple products (making a switch to other operating systems more difficult)

Did you catch this story:

http://time.com/3578279/man-99-iphone-proposal/

I can't even begin to fathom why anyone would think this was a romantic idea.

I wanted to test this theory. You see I <3 Windows (mostly because gaming) and I <3 Android because of 100 different reasons, but when I would tell my GF that she should move on from iPhone to Android (or share on forums/disqus why Android is a better choice) it would just be cast aside as fanboism.

So I bought an iPhone 6+.

I can now say after having experience with both that android is better. Pretty nice camera though.

Edited by <ian>

popular things i hate:::::::: everything and everyone except those i really like... especially this forum! not the users individually, just the collection of samey posts and the titling of the forum subsections, the lack of connection, shallow discussions, the generic collegey flashbacks i'm having, and the overwhelming concern being pushed around about binary states of acceptance. the end *drops mic* *leaves forum permanently*

popular things i hate:::::::: everything and everyone except those i really like... especially this forum! not the users individually, just the collection of samey posts and the titling of the forum subsections, the lack of connection, shallow discussions, the generic collegey flashbacks i'm having, and the overwhelming concern being pushed around about binary states of acceptance. the end *drops mic* *leaves forum permanently*

tumblr_inline_niyiykqFDE1rbcmt8_zps02e4d