Which Countries Have You Travelled/Lived in?

victorydance

I've lived in Upstate New York, New York City, and Texas.  Will be adding North Carolina to list of places I've lived.  I've been to 39 US states and 4 Canadian provinces.  I'm missing mostly the Midwest.  I've been to Canada countless times (grew up a little over an hour from the border and I have a lot of family there) and went to the UK when I was a kid (desperately want to go back).  I will be heading to Israel in less than a week which will be my first time heading to another continent in 15 years.  I'm stoked!

I've lived in several Canadian provinces (Manitoba, Ontario, Alberta), as well as in Germany.

I've visited all of the Canadian provinces, with the exception of PEI, and I've also visited the Yukon territory.

Countries I've visited include:  the United States, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, the Netherlands, France, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Greece, Turkey, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Romania, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Vatican City.  I think that covers everything.

I've lived in Brazil most of my life, and some time in the US (Cleveland, Kansas City and Pittsburgh). I visited Washington DC, Miami and NYC. Other countries I've been to are Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Jamaica, Cayman Islands and Canada. The Andes are the most amazing place I've been to. Europe is the first in my list of next trips. 

If study abroad time counts, then I lived in Italy for a while. But beyond that, I've lived in Indiana and Illinois. As far as traveling goes, I've been to several places all over northern Italy but nowhere else outside the U.S. Within the U.S., I've been to California (twice), Minnesota, Tennessee (several times), Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio (multiple times), D.C, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Kentucky (twice), Georgia, and Missouri (twice).

I do love traveling. I just wish I had more money to do it.

Edited by toasterazzi

I have lived in several states all over the eastern half of the US but haven't ventured much on the western half.  

Other countries/locals visited:

England, Wales, France, Italy, Vatican City, Turkey, Belize, Mexico, Honduras, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and next up: Hungary & Canada (in two separate trips, obvs)

Edited by Queen of Kale

how expensive is a 2 week tour of Europe?

That varies immensely.  

I would argue that it's inefficient for someone who is 

A. Under 60

B. Not intimidated by solo travel

That varies immensely.  

I would argue that it's inefficient for someone who is 

A. Under 60

B. Not intimidated by solo travel

what do you mean inefficient? 

I think I'd prefer to travel alone. no baggage if you know what I mean. 

The price of a two-week trip through Europe varies immensely. How many different places do you want to see during that time (i.e. how many connecting trips will you be making)? Do you want to hit up famous (but expensive) cities like London and Paris, or aim for smaller, cheaper ones? Do you want to use couch surfing, airbnb, hostels, or hotels? Are you planning on hitchhiking or spontaneously taking buses, or planning flights and train trips in advance? Do you like to go out to eat, or prefer to cook at the place you're staying? If you do go out, are you looking at the 3-euro falafel range, or the 15-euro main dish at a nice restaurant? Do you like to go into museums and view famous landmarks that have an entrance fee, or do you prefer to just walk around and see things for free? Are you going to travel with a backpack or a suitcase? Are you going to go there during the middle of the summer or at Christmastime, or at a cheaper time like February-March or October-November? These are all questions you need to ask yourself when figuring out what price you're looking at.

ok let's see

The price of a two-week trip through Europe varies immensely.

How many different places do you want to see during that time (i.e. how many connecting trips will you be making)?

go by train around Europe to as many landmarks as possible. I'll have to do some research on that, and find a good balance between time traveling and time actually doing stuff.

Do you want to hit up famous (but expensive) cities like London and Paris, or aim for smaller, cheaper ones?

both? I just don't want to get lost.. UK is on an island, so not going there. I don't know all the cities I want to go to yet. Need to do some research.

Do you want to use couch surfing, airbnb, hostels, or hotels?

hostels most likely. what do those cost, like $50 a night or something?

Are you planning on hitchhiking or spontaneously taking buses, or planning flights and train trips in advance?

I heard the train is the most economical way. cheap, fast and branched out. I'm not sure what I'll do after I get off the train though. maybe I can bring a road bike with me, check in my backpack somewhere at the train station, take what I need, and tour the cities on a bike. I think European taxis are big enough to fit a bike if needed

Do you like to go out to eat, or prefer to cook at the place you're staying?

preferably a combination of both. I don't know what they have at hostels

If you do go out, are you looking at the 3-euro falafel range, or the 15-euro main dish at a nice restaurant?

probably the cheaper ones that aren't fast food places. I'm not fancy enough to eat at nice restaurants, and I will surely be disappointed by their portions, because half of my money goes to the foods' presentations, and I don't give a shit about how my food looks. they all pretty much look the same on their way out.

Do you like to go into museums and view famous landmarks that have an entrance fee, or do you prefer to just walk around and see things for free?

50/50 If I think the place is worth seeing, I wouldn't mind paying.

Are you going to travel with a backpack or a suitcase?

backpack. gonna need to do laundry, because I'm going to have room for like 3 sets of clothing.

Are you going to go there during the middle of the summer or at Christmastime, or at a cheaper time like February-March or October-November?

cheaper time, like end of this year if the plan goes through.

These are all questions you need to ask yourself when figuring out what price you're looking at.

I have a friend who's been to Europe a lot, and studied there for a couple of years. Maybe he's got plans to visit this year, I'll ask him.

Edited by spectastic

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to travel more but I don't like traveling alone. The school where I got my bachelor's degree has alumni trips, so eventually I might go on one of those. I spent two weeks in Ireland for study abroad (really, it was taking a half-semester class, touring, and then writing a few short papers when I got home).

• 8 months later...

So, I'm not an army brat. Just putting that out there.

I've lived in the US, Germany, and Japan. I've traveled all over the US (including Hawaii but not Alaska) and Germany (Dresden is my all-time favorite city). Lived in several States in the US. Visited Luxembourg and France. Spent two weeks in Italy. Aaaand... that's it. I think.

It's funny, because I feel like I've barely traveled at all!

I am American, and have I have lived in Canada (BC, Ontario, and Newfoundland, plus spent plenty of time in Alberta and Quebec. I've been to all provinces and 2 territories).

I have also been to:

In the Americas: Mexico, Costa Rica, and the French overseas territory of St. Pierre and Miquelon

In Europe: Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Italy and Vatican City. 

I love traveling! Honestly, though, I don't get to do very much of it due to lack of funds or lack of time. I'm a Pennsylvania native, and I've visited (not just driven through) New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Indiana, Tennessee, St. Thomas, and Puerto Rico. Plus of course many places in my home state. I did visit Washington DC when I was 3 or 4, but considering all I can remember from the trip is the subway and getting a Gumby figurine at a gift shop, it doesn't count.

Internationally, I've been to Canada, Ireland, Belize, the Bahamas, Grand Turk, and Japan. I really wish I could travel internationally more, but fights are so expensive and everyone I know is broke so I rarely have a traveling partner. Traveling alone isn't bad, but I have a lot more fun when I have a friend to experience things with and I'm not quite outgoing enough to easily make some friends at my destination.

My favorite country so far is Belize. Part of it is that I've met many Belizeans (is that a real word?) during my two trips there that were super friendly and had great conversations with me and were just really outgoing and excited to meet new people. Trips are so much better when you hang out with the locals. The other part is that it's a very diverse country, both ethnically and ecologically, so there's so much to experience.

I really want to visit more of central America and visit mainland Europe. I'd also really like to visit more of Japan (I was restricted to the southwest). My number 1 destination is Egypt, but I don't know if I'll ever get there.

This thread is depressing me... The closest I've gotten to leaving the country was a trip to Niagara Falls at age 6.

Not for lack of desire, just lack of funds/opportunity  :(

I didn't leave the country for the first time until I was very nearly 30. I celebrated my 30th birthday in London during my first ever trip out of the US...(best birthday EVER.)  You have plenty of time!