Which Countries Have You Travelled/Lived in?

victorydance

I didn't leave the country for the first time until I was very nearly 30. I celebrated my 30th birthday in London during my first ever trip out of the US...(best birthday EVER.)  You have plenty of time!

Thanks, that does make me feel better :) I still can't say I'm not a tiiiiny bit bitter towards my richer friends and their pan-European summer vacations and their spring breaks to Cancun, though. Lucky jerks.

I was raised in Connecticut but I have lived in New Hampshire, Massachusettes, Tennessee, Florida and Sicily (my favorite!).

I have been to Italy, France, Greece/the Greek Islands, Turkey and Belgium.

Stateside I have visited (more than just passing through), North & South Carolina, Georgia and California. I really don't feel that I have traveled that much, and hope to add more international travel soon!

Born in Finland, lived in the UK and US (FL and VA). Traveled to Estonia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Russia, Germany, the Netherlands, France, Serbia, Greece, Italy, Spain, Turkey, and Canada. I've loved every place I've visited! Hope to add more wonderful countries to the list!

I come from a small, small town, but I find I've always loved to travel. Have not been to TOO many places...I've traveled in the northeast US, been to Niagara Falls, out west to Missouri and Cali, and down in the south, to Texas, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina.

My places abroad, I lived in Oxford, England and South Korea. While in Asia, I got to visit China (Harbin and Beijing), Cambodia, Thailand, and Bali. When I go someplace, I like to immerse myself, to be as "local" as I can. That's what I recommend. I often get told I don't act like a normal American, because I'm so quiet. So maybe I'm weird. But it's made my travels the most incredibly fulfilling experiences, getting to see life through the eyes of native peoples...taking it all in...{shrug} I'd highly recommend. :-)

I did a JYA in Northern England at the University of Leeds in 1990-1991 studying computer science.

It was during the first gulf war and was a little scarey being an american abroad.

My family was planning on visiting me but got a call from the State Department recommending they cancel their trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been to the Azores a dozen times (usually 2-3 months at a time) and mainland Portugal once. I'm dying to visit Egypt, Angola, Vietnam, El Salvador, Brazil and Russia. Luckily my research touches on a few of these places!

Being born and having lived for 30+ years in Europe (Romania), I am overwhelmed by how many European countries most of you here have visited. Not living in the EU! I guess having all places close I was always thinking of visiting them "at a later time", with a kinda work that was taking almost all my life.

I visited Moldova, Ukraine, Russia, Nederland, Syria (on my way to Africa, and on my way back, each time 10 days). Lived and worked for NGOs in Sudan. That was the most exciting experience I have ever had in my life. At night, laying down on the red Saharan sand, you could see the sky as a dome above the Earth. Never saw it like this anywhere else in the world.

Moved to the US. Currently living in CA. Also visited NV and AZ and almost all CA. Again, spare time is very tight. Hope for more once i'll finish my PhD program. Or am I dreaming?

Edited by educdoc

Canada, Holland, Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Czech, and Poland.

U.S. States that I have actually spent time in (as opposed to just traveling through or day trippin'):

California (born), Oregon, Washington, Kansas (lived), Minnesota (lived), Illinois, Indiana, Nebraska, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Maryland (lived), Maine (lived), Massachusetts (lived), Tennessee, Texas, Nevada, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Virginia.  

Lived/worked in: Canada, France

Travelled in: USA, Mexico, Germany, UK, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Hungary, Austria, Serbia, Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, and Slovenia.

Hoping to add a few more while I'm doing my masters in Germany next year. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is depressing me... The closest I've gotten to leaving the country was a trip to Niagara Falls at age 6.

Not for lack of desire, just lack of funds/opportunity  :(

Travel to Mexico. Right now is the moment, since everything is cheaper because of the depreciation. You can go to colonial (which are way cheaper than beach cities) cities like Guanajuato, San MIguel Allende (very popular among American retirees), Puebla (2 hours away from Mexico City and with excellent gastronomy),  and Guadalajara.

Also, if you want more touristy town -beach-, there are tons of them, but they are more expensive (Cancùn is the second most expensive city in Mexico, above of Mexico City). Also, Mexico City has a lot of museums and attractions. You can really travel for little money here.

Flights to/from NYC are around 400-500 (4-5hours) and flights from LA are like 3 hours and cost 300-400. Overall, you could travel for 1000 USD for a couple of weeks. Try it.

International travel wise? I've only been to one, which was to the Cayman Islands to see relatives two times. I would have lived in Mexico for 3 months last summer (study abroad), but 'parental paranoia/ignorance' (Drug cartels! Drug cartels, everywhere! from 'their perspective') and financial issues stopped me. That's probably one of my biggest regrets as a current undergraduate.

Now since I am about to step into into the realm of international affairs at a graduate level, my graduate programs offers many opportunities within these countries of interest: Oman, Morocco, Japan, Singapore, South Africa. I will probably do 3 to 4 various types of abroad programs through my graduate school. Then, more when I am older since traveling is obviously a major part of my future career field.

I am also still young (22), so I guess that I am not missing out on much yet...

Edited by Guest

Lived in: US, my whole life. Been to a number of states and cities. 

Travelled to Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica and Guatemala in the Americas. For Europe: been to England, France, Italy (vacation). Then Czech Republic for study abroad. While I was there I travelled to other countries (Slovakia, Ireland, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary) and other cities in CZ. I really loved being in Prague, and while I was only there for 2 months and don't consider myself having "lived" there, I find myself thinking about it often and really longing for it (days such as today). I would like to live in Prague at some point in my life. The other city I really liked was Budapest. 

There is so much of the world I have left to see, entire continents that I haven't even set foot on. I've had many great opportunities to visit other countries and cities. I really hope I can still travel to an extent while I'm in grad school. Obviously, I won't have the dollars rolling in from my stipend, but I still think it can be done (I've never had much money to begin with). I'm not expecting to be able to take weeks off at a time, but travel is good for me. Additionally, there are so many places right here in the US that I have yet to explore, so they'll be going on my bucket list soon enough. 

Sorry for the long ramble. Today seems to be one of those days where I'm longing to travel. Of course it's right before finals week too. Ah well, there is always the Internet and photos for my daily dose of nostalgia. 

Edited by angellily0330

Only country I've been to outside the US has been Bolivia for 10 days each of the last 3 years with an engineering outreach program. The capital of La Paz is actually pretty cool. Going to Germany for 10 days after graduation this May and I'll be stopping in Vienna and Prague so I'm stoked for that.

I am from the US.

Traveled to: China, Thailand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Mexico, Bahamas, Canada, France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy

Lived in: China, US

This thread is depressing me... The closest I've gotten to leaving the country was a trip to Niagara Falls at age 6.

Not for lack of desire, just lack of funds/opportunity  :(

Not a lot of funds here either.  Most of my travelling is thanks to the U.N. (my father worked for the International Civial Aviation Organization for many years) or the Canadian Armed Forces!  Being in the military or being a military spouse gives you many opportunities to travel - granted not all of the places you are sent as a seving member are vacation spots, but there are some perks (visiting nice places when you have leave during a mission, for instance, or beingn posted to Europe for four years and having plenty of opportunities to travel while on that posting).   Military life, or being a military spouse, certainly isn't for everyone.  For for those who enjoy it, there are lots of great opportunities to see many different places.

Also, I don't know how the Reserve system works in the U.S., but in Canada, if you are a member of the reserves, you can't get forced to do a mission overseas, nor can you be posted to a new location within Canada.  The reservists who are part of missions overseas are those that volunteered for those missions.  So the Canadian reservists who served in Afghanistan volunteered for the mission, they weren't forced to go there.  That's unlike the regular forces, where you have to go where they tell you, unless you DAG red (i.e. aren't able to go on a mission at a particular point in time due to any number of reasons), and where you can get posted to locations you might not want to within the country.

Edited by RunnerGrad