Weird Food Combinations You Like?

ahlatsiawa

When I eat watermelon I sprinkle some salt over it. I think it tastes much better that way. Also, I have been meaning to try something that Rhett and Link came up with on their show; the Big Mac n Cheese. That's right, it's a Big Mac with added layers of KRAFT mac 'n cheese inside. I know most Americans find the idea of eating french fries with mayonnaise not very appetizing, but in the culture where I come from garlic mayo is probably as popular a condiment as tomato ketchup and we eat it with everything from french fries to fried chicken and even rice. What are some unusual food combinations you like?

It's not necessarily weird depending on what part of the world you're from, but I put hot sauce, spices (salt, chile powder, etc), and lime or lemon juice in my Mexican beers.

I really want to try this now...does Tecate count or is that too gauche?

I really want to try this now...does Tecate count or is that too gauche?

I prefer corona but tecate counts. I do about a squeeze of lime, several dashes of tapatio, and spicy beer salt. Other stuff like chile powder comes after I'm already drunk haha

When I eat watermelon I sprinkle some salt over it. I think it tastes much better that way. Also, I have been meaning to try something that Rhett and Link came up with on their show; the Big Mac n Cheese. That's right, it's a Big Mac with added layers of KRAFT mac 'n cheese inside. I know most Americans find the idea of eating french fries with mayonnaise not very appetizing, but in the culture where I come from garlic mayo is probably as popular a condiment as tomato ketchup and we eat it with everything from french fries to fried chicken and even rice. What are some unusual food combinations you like?

My current GF puts salt on cantaloupe, watermelon...really any type of melon. I've tried it a few times, not bad. 

I actually prefer mayonnaise with fries, or sometimes vinegar.  But you are correct; most Americans find it strange and gross. 

I like ketchup on "mushy" peas and ketchup on cooked cabbage.  But I suppose this is more common in the U.K.

I was vegan for 8 years, so I have everyone beat  :P   One thing I really like[d] from those days was/is tofu coated in peanut butter and BBQ sauce, fried. Another was blending tofu with oil and sugar (...one way to make a base for vegan cream cheese cake).  The taste sort of resembles Twinkie filling. 

When I was younger I would east fried bologna sandwiches with ketchup.  Come to think of it, they were really gross.  I have always hated the taste of milk and when I was younger I used to add table sugar to it in order to make it palpable. 

The strangest though...sauerkraut...straight from the jar/can.  Seriously, I can eat it straight but prefer it with mustard.  Must be the Eastern European in me...

I eat ketchup on my pizza! 

As do I   :)  I prefer to dip pizza into ranch dressing, though. Or as we called it in Minnesota: stripper juice. 

It's not necessarily weird depending on what part of the world you're from, but I put hot sauce, spices (salt, chile powder, etc), and lime or lemon juice in my Mexican beers.

The lime-in-a-Corona is more than likely an American invention...much like fajitas and a few other "Mexican" dishes.  I mean, go to any non-touristy bar in Mexico and you will find that Mexican beers are served sans lime.  I grew up in California and at least half of my friends back home are of Mexican heritage.  I also recently dated a Mexican-American girl...from Texas.  I know of plenty who put chili powder and/or salt onto sweet fruits to eat, but cannot recall ever once seeing someone put chili powder or salt into beer let alone actual lime or lemon juice. They all drank Bud, anyways. 

By the way, wouldn't adding salt directly to beer cause it to foam up?  I know that on the set of Cheers they drank non-alcoholic beer with salt added to create foam for the appearance of being a "real" beer. 

Now, that is strictly the Mexican-Americans I know...most of which fall onto the "American" side more than the other.  I have heard of South and Central Americans adding chili powder, hot sauce, lime, and/or salt to beer...but never actually seen it in practice.  Quite intriguing and I might have to give it a try...although I am quite familiar with lime/lemon in beer.  

I actually like peppercorns and coriander (cilantro) in beer myself.

I also put soy sauce on my eggs (just did it this morning!) Other combinations that I like (some mentioned above):

Salt + watermelon 

Salt + hot chocolate

French fries + soft serve (e.g. a Wendy's frosty)

Ketchup + Kraft Dinner (i.e. Kraft mac n cheese in the US)

Dipping grilled cheese sandwiches in ketchup

Sriracha + yellow mustard is a great dipping sauce for pretty much anything (it's served at all dim sum restaurants where I grew up)

Putting maple syrup over everything on my breakfast plate (eggs is good, but something salty like sausage or bacon is amazing)

(sharp) cheddar cheese + bananas

Using italian pasta in chinese noodle dishes (okay maybe this one isn't that weird)

I've been known to put icing on bacon...ultimate salty/sweet combination.  :wub:

this is actually very combo... saw bacon cupcakes the other day.

i like honey mustard on everything... honey mustard in my pasta, mashed potatoes, sandwiches, veggies, salad, RICE...

when i lived overseas, i bought three bottles of honey mustard with me so i would have it.

Chocolate Hagelslag Sandwiches...White bread, butter, and dutch chocolate sprinkles.

Peeled tangerines and cut strawberries stirred with honey and cinnamon.

Tuna fish sandwiches topped with bar-b-q chips. 

My current GF puts salt on cantaloupe, watermelon...really any type of melon. I've tried it a few times, not bad.

I actually prefer mayonnaise with fries, or sometimes vinegar. But you are correct; most Americans find it strange and gross.

I like ketchup on "mushy" peas and ketchup on cooked cabbage. But I suppose this is more common in the U.K.

I was vegan for 8 years, so I have everyone beat :P One thing I really like[d] from those days was/is tofu coated in peanut butter and BBQ sauce, fried. Another was blending tofu with oil and sugar (...one way to make a base for vegan cream cheese cake). The taste sort of resembles Twinkie filling.

When I was younger I would east fried bologna sandwiches with ketchup. Come to think of it, they were really gross. I have always hated the taste of milk and when I was younger I used to add table sugar to it in order to make it palpable.

The strangest though...sauerkraut...straight from the jar/can. Seriously, I can eat it straight but prefer it with mustard. Must be the Eastern European in me...

As do I :) I prefer to dip pizza into ranch dressing, though. Or as we called it in Minnesota: stripper juice.

The lime-in-a-Corona is more than likely an American invention...much like fajitas and a few other "Mexican" dishes. I mean, go to any non-touristy bar in Mexico and you will find that Mexican beers are served sans lime. I grew up in California and at least half of my friends back home are of Mexican heritage. I also recently dated a Mexican-American girl...from Texas. I know of plenty who put chili powder and/or salt onto sweet fruits to eat, but cannot recall ever once seeing someone put chili powder or salt into beer let alone actual lime or lemon juice. They all drank Bud, anyways.

By the way, wouldn't adding salt directly to beer cause it to foam up? I know that on the set of Cheers they drank non-alcoholic beer with salt added to create foam for the appearance of being a "real" beer.

Now, that is strictly the Mexican-Americans I know...most of which fall onto the "American" side more than the other. I have heard of South and Central Americans adding chili powder, hot sauce, lime, and/or salt to beer...but never actually seen it in practice. Quite intriguing and I might have to give it a try...although I am quite familiar with lime/lemon in beer.

I actually like peppercorns and coriander (cilantro) in beer myself.

I put the salt around the rim as you would with a margarita. I can put a little into it too without it exploding but you do have to be careful. As far as spices, I wasn't saying it's a Mexican cultural thing just that I like it specifically in Mexican beers. And anyway, you've never heard of a michelada?