Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Apart from stating the obvious, you did not help me much here. I appreciate your answer nonetheless.

So let me reiterate: what is (your understanding of) the situation with UC Davis? Have all acceptances been sent? A question directed both to the admits, and to those who might have not heard anything yet.

Thanks!

I would assume they are all out, since they said in the email to accepted students that they needed to know by the start of next week whether or not we were attending accepted students day. I suppose they could be holding onto a few, but it would seem unlikely. If you are really curious about it, why not send them an email?

To those who have applied to UCSD: on your application status page, do your GRE scores say "Not received?" I know they have the warning on there that says they may not post until you're offerred admissions and that we shouldn't panic, but I just wanted to see how many people have this "not recieved" message.  

Sorry, I'm getting really neurotic.

Drop them a message. I had the same status, then wrote them e-mail and it turned out that they received my scores, so everything was ok. I think if your scores were missing they would send you a message earlier. 

Has everyone heard from Penn State? Do you know if all the decisions have been made? I have seen some accaptences (and no rejections) on the results page. Should I presume that I am rejected?

Nobody on Penn State?

And now we've seen Northwestern acceptances and rejections, yet I've still heard nothing from them.

Can anyone talk about the NU rejection? Is it posted on the Admission Tracking System?

Drop them a message. I had the same status, then wrote them e-mail and it turned out that they received my scores, so everything was ok. I think if your scores were missing they would send you a message earlier. 

That's true. At this stage in the game, you'd think they would have mentioned a problem if there were one.

Guys, any news on UCONN?

and is it a good program? reputable or mediocre?

It is below mediocre. I would be very hesitant to attend UConn (read: I would not attend UConn) if I had any aspiration toward obtaining a job in academia. If you do not want a job in academia, I would hesitate to recommend you to pursue a PhD in political science - instead I'd direct you to a PhD in social research methods or some sort of MPP or MA.  Of those places you are applying, I would strongly discourage spending 5-7 years of your life at UConn or Cincinnati if you want to go into academia, or even if you don't. The other schools in your list are terrific. Note that currently I am only in at Wisconsin and even for Wisconsin I am hesitant to attend - academia is just THAT competitive.

UConn is ranked rather poorly among political science PhD programs. However, I would say to look at UConn's list of placements and email the program administrator to find out other outcome data (how many students finish the program, time to degree). If you are happy with these outcomes, then, by all means, apply.

Their placement data suggest that international students are able to find jobs outside of the United States. This may be because these jobs are less competitive. Relatively few applicants have PhDs from the U.S., and simply having a U.S. PhD may help.

You have to also consider your financial situation. I would not recommend UConn if you are relying on the stipend alone. I know graduate students in the program and their stipend is $12-13,000.

Edited by slacktivist

To those who have applied to UCSD: on your application status page, do your GRE scores say "Not received?" I know they have the warning on there that says they may not post until you're offerred admissions and that we shouldn't panic, but I just wanted to see how many people have this "not recieved" message.  

Sorry, I'm getting really neurotic.

Mine says "Self-reported test scores: received," and there's a note about sending GRE scores (which I did).  I agree, though, that you could just send them an email.  Most graduate school departments have been good about notifying me if there's something missing.

Edited by fakeusername

Thanks, and good luck.  Guess I'll be getting an email soon, maybe.

Edit:  Nevermind, I understand now after reading their website.  A separate link appears on the application page once a decision has been, or is about to be, made.

Edited by fakeusername

It is below mediocre. I would be very hesitant to attend UConn (read: I would not attend UConn) if I had any aspiration toward obtaining a job in academia. If you do not want a job in academia, I would hesitate to recommend you to pursue a PhD in political science - instead I'd direct you to a PhD in social research methods or some sort of MPP or MA.  Of those places you are applying, I would strongly discourage spending 5-7 years of your life at UConn or Cincinnati if you want to go into academia, or even if you don't. The other schools in your list are terrific. Note that currently I am only in at Wisconsin and even for Wisconsin I am hesitant to attend - academia is just THAT competitive.

Testingtesting is right about UConn. That's not a viable pathway into academia, if that's your goal.

Testingtesting is overreacting a bit about Wisconsin, though. 

Note that currently I am only in at Wisconsin and even for Wisconsin I am hesitant to attend - academia is just THAT competitive.

I know you've already gotten some grief for this statement, but Wisconsin has pretty decent placement. If you do well in grad school and are a good fit for a post-doc posting or even a faculty position at a decent to good school, you should be fine.

I'm also unsure why you would bother applying to a school if you aren't interested in attending.

Testingtesting is right about UConn. That's not a viable pathway into academia, if that's your goal.

Testingtesting is overreacting a bit about Wisconsin, though.

While the top tier of programs are more likely to land you a job in academia, it really boils down to what you put into it. And if academia doesn't work out, there are other opportunities (government) and companies that would pay a premium for someone with a PhD (one specifically that jumps to mind are defense contractors specializing in intelligence).

Academic job market has been tough recently. However, there are different ways of achieving final goal, which is tenure in good university. Your placement after gradschool may be not so good, but if it is the place where you can teach 1-2 courses per semester and devote most of your time to research, then this is a decent start of career. You will have time to improve your publication profile in order to have chances for the job in better places. The most important thing is that the faculty can provide a good feedback and advices relevant to your ongoing research. Without this, work on papers is much tougher.

P.S. It is worthwhile to keep in mind that University is not everything. If you graduated from University which is ranked lower but have 2 publication in, say, AJPS and JOP, you will be in much better position tha the person who graduated from better University without any papers published. 

And now we've seen Northwestern acceptances and rejections, yet I've still heard nothing from them.

Can anyone talk about the NU rejection? Is it posted on the Admission Tracking System?

Not a rejection, but I'm accepted, and I got an email about the change of status on the website (and it is changed there). Not sure if that helps :/

Although the trend of graduates from top schools getting better placement is fairly strong, it's not anywhere near deterministic.  A recent Ph.D. from a lower ranked program such as UGA or Boulder (or FSU/Bing I hope :~P) with a really strong methods backgrounds has a better chance at getting a decent paying TT position at an R1 than a political theorist from an elite institution.  At the middle-to-low ranked research university where I currently study, there's a fairly even divide between graduates from elite institutions and those from the 40-50 range among the junior faculty.  However, I would have to agree that the options for a UConn grad look really limited.  They actually seem to have a pretty good placement history compared with others in that range (i.e., better than Dallas, UAlbany, Kentucky, and Temple), but they also haven't placed any of their graduates in research universities.  For me, that would be the deal breaker; but if your goal is to do teaching in a small liberal arts college then it doesn't seem too bad. 

Edited by fakeusername

I know you've already gotten some grief for this statement, but Wisconsin has pretty decent placement. If you do well in grad school and are a good fit for a post-doc posting or even a faculty position at a decent to good school, you should be fine.

I'm also unsure why you would bother applying to a school if you aren't interested in attending.

Hesitant to attend but would probably attend. Looking forward to visiting day.

Note that it's not just name that provides an edge to top programs. Methods training is better usually, faculty to collaborate with on average are more likely to publish in top journals (note: they also may be less accessible), and your peers will offer more smart people with which to coauthor and share ideas (although maybe they are more backstavbing, who knows?).

Even if you are a smart cookie, it's hard to be very successful surrounded by other dumb cookies and when you aren't given the tools to succeed.

Edited by testingtesting

Not a rejection, but I'm accepted, and I got an email about the change of status on the website (and it is changed there). Not sure if that helps :/

Thanks. And congratulations on the acceptance. I like the program a lot.

Anyone still waiting on a decision from Texas?

Yes.

Hesitant to attend but would probably attend. Looking forward to visiting day.

Note that it's not just name that provides an edge to top programs. Methods training is better usually, faculty to collaborate with on average are more likely to publish in top journals (note: they also may be less accessible), and your peers will offer more smart people with which to coauthor and share ideas (although maybe they are more backstavbing, who knows?).

Even if you are a smart cookie, it's hard to be very successful surrounded by other dumb cookies and when you aren't given the tools to succeed.

wow.