Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

First PhD acceptance! Email from Texas A&M Prof. to IR admits (11 admits). 

Can say I honestly wouldn't have been accepted without the help of many people on this forum and the advice passed down over the years.

Thanks GradCafe :)

They emailed me. The status on the webpage hasn't changed though (still says application is under review). During my interview he alluded to a waitlist of people they had ready to go to if the admits declined so theres still hope :)

Thank you for that! I am terrified to email them to seem like I am bothering them! But thanks for the heads up!

Can say I honestly wouldn't have been accepted without the help of many people on this forum and the advice passed down over the years.

Congrats!!!! 

Congratulations! Very happy for you. I'm still holding out hope everyone on these boards gets at least one acceptance. That's all it takes.

Congrats! Hope its the first of many

I really wish that departments were better about sending out waitlist notifications, and rejections to align with admission notifications.

I am in limbo with regard to Colorado, Stony Brook and, now, Texas-Austin.

Yes, I could just email them myself, but, on the other hand, they could also utilize their online status portals and/or send a generic email.

My bitching here is in hope that future ad com members/DGS people might see this thread and see all of the frustration that lacking communication causes.

Edited by Bubandis

I really wish that departments were better about sending out waitlist notifications, and rejections to align with admission notifications.

I am in limbo with regard to Colorado, Stony Brook and, now, Texas-Austin.

Yes, I could just email them myself, but, on the other hand, they could also utilize their online status portals and/or send a generic email.

My bitching here is in hope that future ad com members/DGS people might see this thread and see all of the frustration that lacking communication causes.

Have you officially heard anything from Stony Brook or just assuming?

Have you officially heard anything from Stony Brook or just assuming?

are you trolling? Lol

mate, sorry if I was unclear, but the point of my post is that I have NOT heard anything, whereas people have been posting about acceptances from them for the past week. Virtually every junior faculty member, let alone their grad students, know about this website...so, they should know that once an acceptance is given out, everyone will know about it. Therefore, I dont think it is unreasonable of me to be a little annoyed that I still have no idea whether or not I am sitting on a wait-list, or will be rejected outright. But, I suppose that I will take the initiative if I've still not been contacted by them (or if my status in their system still hasn't changed) by week's end.

By "in limbo," I mean that I've heard nothing from them. If you are referring to my signature, yeah, I am just assuming a rejection, but would love confirmation.

are you trolling? Lol

mate, sorry if I was unclear, but the point of my post is that I have NOT heard anything, whereas people have been posting about acceptances from them for the past week. Virtually every junior faculty member, let alone their grad students, know about this website...so, they should know that once an acceptance is given out, everyone will know about it. Therefore, I dont think it is unreasonable of me to be a little annoyed that I still have no idea whether or not I am sitting on a wait-list, or will be rejected outright. But, I suppose that I will take the initiative if I've still not been contacted by them (or if my status in their system still hasn't changed) by week's end.

By "in limbo," I mean that I've heard nothing from them. If you are referring to my signature, yeah, I am just assuming a rejection, but would love confirmation.

I try not to troll, but was completely confused by the in limbo, and the signature lol. My bad! 

And I agree with the point that you are making. I would much rather have a known status (even if it was a waitlist) than just sitting here waiting. It is a little ridiculous that some people know while others don't. We are just asking for a status update. 

Anyone else in at Duke have any further details on the funding? Let's talk funding - anyone get multiyear fellowships?

I try not to troll, but was completely confused by the in limbo, and the signature lol. My bad! 

And I agree with the point that you are making. I would much rather have a known status (even if it was a waitlist) than just sitting here waiting. It is a little ridiculous that some people know while others don't. We are just asking for a status update. 

I think someone suggested it earlier - sometimes the acceptances go out and someone rejects the program a few days later. Rather than cause applicants to think they are coming off of the waitlist or reject candidates that would be needed to meet class size, they delay the rejections. Of course, very few of these individuals will be accepted, but there is little downside for the department - other than the possibility that someone thinks they are rejected when they are just on this informal, pseudo-waitlist.

I'm a Chicago admit - my online status has not changed. I was contacted by the Graduate Studies Administrator with an attached letter from the Chair (or DGS, can't remember). The letter specifically stated everything is now in the hands of the Arts and Sciences administration, and the "official" letter is to follow. Hope that helps!

Anyone else in at Duke have any further details on the funding? Let's talk funding - anyone get multiyear fellowships?

I was accepted at Duke as well, but only found information on funding for the first year, which seems to be the standard package..

I think someone suggested it earlier - sometimes the acceptances go out and someone rejects the program a few days later. Rather than cause applicants to think they are coming off of the waitlist or reject candidates that would be needed to meet class size, they delay the rejections. Of course, very few of these individuals will be accepted, but there is little downside for the department - other than the possibility that someone thinks they are rejected when they are just on this informal, pseudo-waitlist.

For Duke funding: I checked my "Financial Aid" and there's a detailed list regarding funding for the year 2015-16. And I think the funding is guaranteed for 5 yrs?

For Duke funding: I checked my "Financial Aid" and there's a detailed list regarding funding for the year 2015-16. And I think the funding is guaranteed for 5 yrs?

Right... I just wasn't sure if they tell you what the teaching or RA load is in the other years. It can be brutal.  However, the package for the first year is pretty terrific.

Any idea what the summer tuition stipend covers? Does this mean we can take classes at Duke in the summer? (These are obviously questions for the department but I figured I'd ask here in case you knew)

Congrats AuldReekie! I am very happy for you :)

I still have not heard anything at all from any school. :( My applications all indicate under review. 

Oh well. But congrats to all. 

Edited by Facade19