Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

For those wondering, I did email the POI at a school (Chicago) I presume has rejected me. She sent a hurried, but prompt reply expressing regret. She also said, however, "Are you not on the alternate list?" Not sure if this was just a question that popped into her head to ask, or if she had thought that perhaps I would be wait-listed. And if so, perhaps this means there are more positive Chicago results to come. Or....maybe not!

It is astonishing how much time I have spent over-analyzing this three-sentence email! 

Right there with ya.  The silence is killing me.

Same. Kind of a bummer.

LOL.. I started to get this strange feeling that even a rejection would be better than waiting for nothing.

Anyone else hear UNC?

Judging from the last three years of results, the amount of dispersion around UNC's median admission announcement is FAR greater than most programs. They seem to trickle in over a period of a few weeks.

At least, that's my attempt to be empirical about it. Hopefully it's not just me trying to convince myself all the admitted have been contacted and I've been left out!

LOL.. I started to get this strange feeling that even a rejection would be better than waiting for nothing.

I told someone last week I would prefer rejections from the rest of the schools I haven't heard from over having to wait around another two months not hearing anything. Obviously I would prefer acceptances but I think I still feel that way.

Can anyone claim the Minnesota admit?

Yep, that's me.  A professor on the admissions committee called me to let me know.  It was like around 5:30pm CST, so I doubt they have called everyone they are admitting.  My status online still says waiting, so I wouldn't worry too much.   

Just to make sure: Should we assume that ALL UC-Davis admits have been informed? 

(Sorry for getting back at UC-Davis, but it is still unclear to me.)

it seems there were more last year, so I'd be surprised, but i have absolutely nothing to back that up.

Just to make sure: Should we assume that ALL UC-Davis admits have been informed? 

(Sorry for getting back at UC-Davis, but it is still unclear to me.)

Please take a quick gander at the results page on these questions. The parameters of your search should be "politic* davis" and you can make the decision for yourself. With few exceptions which you can find by searching this thread for "davis", we all are basing our predictions on historic admission data in the the gradcafe results section. Where others have insider info by talking to DGS and POIs, they have typically posted here.

That being said, some universities have erratic behavior in decision making (e.g. UNC) and others do not meet the same relative point in the year year-over-year, e.g. Duke.

For those wondering, I did email the POI at a school (Chicago) I presume has rejected me. She sent a hurried, but prompt reply expressing regret. She also said, however, "Are you not on the alternate list?" Not sure if this was just a question that popped into her head to ask, or if she had thought that perhaps I would be wait-listed. And if so, perhaps this means there are more positive Chicago results to come. Or....maybe not!

It is astonishing how much time I have spent over-analyzing this three-sentence email!

Ask her wth she means!

Please take a quick gander at the results page on these questions. The parameters of your search should be "politic* davis" and you can make the decision for yourself. With few exceptions which you can find by searching this thread for "davis", we all are basing our predictions on historic admission data in the the gradcafe results section. Where others have insider info by talking to DGS and POIs, they have typically posted here.

That being said, some universities have erratic behavior in decision making (e.g. UNC) and others do not meet the same relative point in the year year-over-year, e.g. Duke.

Apart from stating the obvious, you did not help me much here. I appreciate your answer nonetheless.

So let me reiterate: what is (your understanding of) the situation with UC Davis? Have all acceptances been sent? A question directed both to the admits, and to those who might have not heard anything yet.

Thanks!

Apart from stating the obvious, you did not help me much here. I appreciate your answer nonetheless.

So let me reiterate: what is (your understanding of) the situation with UC Davis? Have all acceptances been sent? A question directed both to the admits, and to those who might have not heard anything yet.

Thanks!

I am saying you have the same information as everyone else and anyone else's claim would be equally speculative as to whether all acceptances have been sent. Therefore, take a look here and try to make inferences from the data: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=politic*+davisTo me, that looks like most acceptances were already sent. Given that everyone is posting the results of communication with DGSs for the benefit of this board and there have been no follow-ups posted here, you should trust your own understanding over those of others' if you trust your deductive capacity.

Edited by testingtesting

For UC Davis: This is just a guess but since it looks like in 2014 there were 10 acceptances, and two waves of acceptances, that *could* mean there's another wave coming this year since there are only 5 posted acceptances for 2015. But of course we don't know how many people don't post on the results page or how accurate last year's postings are so I also don't want to create optimism if they've already sent everything out for the year! Hopefully you can get some sort of official clarity soon. :)

Has everyone heard from Penn State? Do you know if all the decisions have been made? I have seen some accaptences (and no rejections) on the results page. Should I presume that I am rejected?

Guys, any news on UCONN?

and is it a good program? reputable or mediocre?

It is below mediocre. I would be very hesitant to attend UConn (read: I would not attend UConn) if I had any aspiration toward obtaining a job in academia. If you do not want a job in academia, I would hesitate to recommend you to pursue a PhD in political science - instead I'd direct you to a PhD in social research methods or some sort of MPP or MA.  Of those places you are applying, I would strongly discourage spending 5-7 years of your life at UConn or Cincinnati if you want to go into academia, or even if you don't. The other schools in your list are terrific. Note that currently I am only in at Wisconsin and even for Wisconsin I am hesitant to attend - academia is just THAT competitive.

Edited by testingtesting

To those who have applied to UCSD: on your application status page, do your GRE scores say "Not received?" I know they have the warning on there that says they may not post until you're offerred admissions and that we shouldn't panic, but I just wanted to see how many people have this "not recieved" message.  

Sorry, I'm getting really neurotic.

It is below mediocre. I would be very hesitant to attend UConn (read: I would not attend UConn) if I had any aspiration toward obtaining a job in academia. If you do not want a job in academia, I would hesitate to recommend you to pursue a PhD in political science - instead I'd direct you to a PhD in social research methods or some sort of MPP or MA.  Of those places you are applying, I would strongly discourage spending 5-7 years of your life at UConn or Cincinnati if you want to go into academia, or even if you don't. The other schools in your list are terrific. Note that currently I am only in at Wisconsin and even for Wisconsin I am hesitant to attend - academia is just THAT competitive.

Can you link to me to the "i would not attend Uconn" page, as I seem incapable of finding it.  I applied there, but as my bottom choice, and I really don't plan on attending.  Just curious.