Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

I think no matter how this week goes, I'll be spending some time with a baseball bat listening to "Damn it feels good to a be a gangster"

That's a good question: what music is everybody listening to while we ravage the "Refresh" button and weather the storm?

My submission: Westside Connection's "The Gangsta, The Killa, and The Dope Dealer."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PM5YWZnhIs

That's a good question: what music is everybody listening to while we ravage the "Refresh" button and weather the storm?

My submission: Westside Connection's "The Gangsta, The Killa, and The Dope Dealer."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PM5YWZnhIs

Do I wanna know

If this feeling flows both ways?

Sad to see you go

Was sorta hoping that you'd stay

Stony Brook director of graduate recruitment emailed to let me know I was rejected.

Sorry to hear that. Must be disappointing, but two out of three aint bad overall.   :)

Imagine if you could keep up that percentage ;)

Edited by AuldReekie

This is going to be such a long week.  Given the impending snow storms in the Northeast (public schools north of NYC have already started to cancel for tomorrow), do we think there will be a delay in decisions?

This is going to be such a long week. Given the impending snow storms in the Northeast (public schools north of NYC have already started to cancel for tomorrow), do we think there will be a delay in decisions?

A bunch of places in the Midwest have already announced closures as well.

Has anyone read any good pieces on achieving success in the first year of a PhD program? I have read quite a few "guides" to a PhD but few specifically address the first year, many address the second year.

I'm frustrated that I can't find a really good one that I once read that was written as an academic article.  If you're interested in stuff from journals and have unrestricted access from your university, I recommend browsing through PS: Political Science and Politics, since they have lots of articles about students, if you're not already.

Edited by fakeusername

Hi friends! Looks like I'm a little late to the game on this forum. Better late than never, I suppose.

I'm a theory applicant interested in the history of political thought (especially ancient and early modern).

The quick n' dirty: accepted at Texas and Michigan State, rejected from Wisconsin.

While I am thrilled about these opportunities and could see myself happily entering either program, I also still have 7 more schools to hear from, so I'll be playing the waiting game for the next few weeks with you lovely people. Congrats to everybody who has seen success so far, and best of luck to everybody who is still waiting!

Hi friends! Looks like I'm a little late to the game on this forum. Better late than never, I suppose.

I'm a theory applicant interested in the history of political thought (especially ancient and early modern).

The quick n' dirty: accepted at Texas and Michigan State, rejected from Wisconsin.

While I am thrilled about these opportunities and could see myself happily entering either program, I also still have 7 more schools to hear from, so I'll be playing the waiting game for the next few weeks with you lovely people. Congrats to everybody who has seen success so far, and best of luck to everybody who is still waiting!

Hi there.  Congratulations on the acceptances!  I applied to both those programs, but I take the silence as unofficial rejections ;~}.  I won't be studying theory and haven't taken much coursework on it, but I do find it incredibly rewarding.  Good luck with the rest of the schools.

Edited by fakeusername

Welcome, and congrats on those two acceptances!

So, Texas must have notified all admits? Seems to have slipped past me until now, but, I will assume rejection there as well, I suppose.

Last year, 5 out 6 of the schools I applied posted results in this week. In the following days I should have, at least, two results, right? Anyway, I am extremely anxious and I'm checking email and online applications every 5 minutes.

Feel ya. Didn't care about the results, or have opened gradcafe until a few days ago, when I realized that 2-3 schools I have applied to have already sent their acceptances. Oh, the pressure is real!!!!!

Now the anxiety has consumed me. 

Edited by Lapavitsovaroufakis

Feel ya. Didn't care about the results, or have opened gradcafe until a few days ago, when I realized that 2-3 schools I have applied to have already sent their acceptances. Oh, the pressure is real!!!!!

Now the anxiety has consumed me. 

The anxiety killed me last week. It literally made my week awful. If there was anyway I could suggest avoiding letting the anxiety consume you, I would recommend it. 

Also still haven't heard from any of my 4 schools that I applied to. But Oklahoma just closed their application yesterday, and LSU is still open till the 15th. But nothing from Stony Brook or WUSTL