Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Perhaps the only thing in life you can control is yourself. Choose to be happy or choose to feel shame (if the two are in tension), it is your decision. It Is accurate to say that the "blame" resides with us (although the decision is in others' hands, we know the rules of the game) but shame is one type of denial.   http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spinoza/#VirHap

Rely on inputs rather than outputs, while constraining your allocation of resources in response to the distribution of outputs. In other words, ensure you have taken whatever actions are in your control to max(success) and that is all you really can do. Of course, perhaps you did not do that. If so, you cannot change your past behavior but you can change your future behavior - it's a sunk cost, move on. Even when playing your cards correctly in poker, you will sometimes lose - but sometime you will win. This advice is as true in poker as it is in PhD applications as it is in most other life aspirations. They say having a short memory makes a good poker player - an idiom meaning to forget losses so long as you maximize P(win) - and this is also true here.

If you do not qualify, end of story. If you might qualify, discuss it with the program over the phone. 

Edited by testingtesting

Congratulations and commiserations as required to everyone. Hopefully more congratulations.. 

Feeling a bit low about the whole process, but received a nice email from an acquaintance and former DGS (who looked over my SOP) offering to put in a good word for me with his colleagues. So this certainly cheered me up a wee bit even if I'm sitting here with no offers...  :)

Edited by AuldReekie

*tapes phone to hand*.  Congratulations, that's awesome!!

well done mate!

Thank you!!! :D To be completely honest, two acceptances is so much more than I had anticipated, I'm just tickled. And, there are still plenty more to go. It's going to be tough to make a decision on which school to go to when it is all said and done, but I am really grateful to be in the position to be making such a decision.

Best of luck to everyone, especially those still waiting for an acceptance :) 

An email just came in (yes, it appears that we are not even safe on weekends!)from Arizona telling me that I have been admitted :D

Congrats. I got accecpted from Arizona, as well. Got an e-mail from DGS this morning. I was wondering, am I supposed to e-mail back and say thank you or something? Or do I not respond at all until I make my final decision about whether to accept the offer or not?

Hi! Has anyone heard back from Humphrey at Minnesota? Seems they have started releasing their decisions...

Hi!  I heard from them about 10 days ago via phone.  Not sure if they have released all of their decisions or not.  Maybe you should email them to see?

Congrats. I got accecpted from Arizona, as well. Got an e-mail from DGS this morning. I was wondering, am I supposed to e-mail back and say thank you or something? Or do I not respond at all until I make my final decision about whether to accept the offer or not?

I sent an email to another school thanking them for the notification and that I look forward to the visitation weekend type thing they mentioned along with my acceptance. (My current research advisor thought it was in good form to at least say something.)

Hi!  I heard from them about 10 days ago via phone.  Not sure if they have released all of their decisions or not.  Maybe you should email them to seeCon

Congrats! Has the status of your application changed to Admitted?

Well done to the Arizona admits... looks like they're on the up in IR. I met Thies at a conference and he's nice and very approachable.. and somehow manages to publish a ludicrous amount. Will Moore on the way there too which from my perspective makes it look like a great place ;). Trying to remember why I didn't apply..

Hey all, long-time lurker here.

Saw 4-5 UChicago postings in the results page. Is it safe to assume that the rest of us were rejected?

Based on the results of previous years, I understand that they send all acceptances/waitlists together in a batch. 

Tenkyu!

That is unfortunately the conclusion I have come to as well. Perhaps there will be a few more released on Monday, but I'd suspect not. And if past years are any judge, they take their time with sending out rejections, which is pretty maddening. 

I've got as many as five schools sending out results this week. I'm not terribly worried, as I've already gotten in to some pretty great programs, but it's still nerve-wracking. Best of luck to everyone.

Edited by Duvergerian

Well done to the Arizona admits... looks like they're on the up in IR. I met Thies at a conference and he's nice and very approachable.. and somehow manages to publish a ludicrous amount. Will Moore on the way there too which from my perspective makes it look like a great place ;). Trying to remember why I didn't apply..

Thies is at Arizona now? When did he move from UCLA?

Just wondering, did you apply to study Political Science with a focus on Japan?

Yes and No. My primary interests are civil society organizations (environmental movements), and specifically am looking at the Japanese anti-nuclear movement. So for my PoliSci PhD application, I applied to do research on environmental politics, as there were several profs at UW that do similar things.