Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Hi all, I have a question about FLAS funding and Chicago. I applied to Chicago and got an email inviting me to apply for FLAS funding (I study Arabic). 1) the deadline is in one week -- if I apply, does that have any bearing on my chances of getting accepted? If so, is it likely that they will wait to announce my decision until after the FLAS deadline? 

Thanks!

Sorry if it's in bad form to reply to my own comment, but if really like anyone's perspective. Basically, I am curious whether it is worth it to complete the FLAS application, especially if UChicago is already announcing decisions. The FLAS deadline is in a week, though -- perhaps they're waiting to make/release decisions on applicants who might be eligible for FLAS until after that deadline?

I'm probably over analyzing. Actually, I definitely am! But Chicago is my top choice and the best fit for me and I'm freaking out because I haven't heard anything yet!

Sorry if it's in bad form to reply to my own comment, but if really like anyone's perspective. Basically, I am curious whether it is worth it to complete the FLAS application, especially if UChicago is already announcing decisions. The FLAS deadline is in a week, though -- perhaps they're waiting to make/release decisions on applicants who might be eligible for FLAS until after that deadline?

I'm probably over analyzing. Actually, I definitely am! But Chicago is my top choice and the best fit for me and I'm freaking out because I haven't heard anything yet!

Just go ahead and apply for it ;~}.  Tomorrow I will fill out a form for a special grant to one of the universities that has already started doing interviews and such because the deadline for that grant has not yet arrived.  At worst I waste an hour, but that's not much.  Actually, I applied to Chicago too so I may also complete the FLAS application even though I'm really not expecting to be accepted.

Edited by fakeusername

Apply for it as quickly as you can!  If a department has a sense that some of your funding will come from a set source, especially one outside the department, they may be more enthusiastic.  Get it out of your hands, into theirs, and spare yourself any sense that you could have done more when all is said and done!  You got this  :D

Man I was doing good lurking...until the first of my schools popped up on the results page with a few rejections (Arizona State).  Now I'm more anxious than ever.  

Edited by S7x

Man I was doing good lurking...until the first of my schools popped up on the results page with a few rejections (Arizona State).  Now I'm more anxious than ever.  

Hey, that might mean you'll get an acceptance from Arizona sometime soon.  Where else did you apply?

Edited by fakeusername

I just had a skype interview with the DGS at Stony Brook and he told me I was accepted! So exciting! He said they admitted fewer people this year than in the previous few years. Will most likely accept the offer :) Good luck to everyone else on this forum!

I just had a skype interview with the DGS at Stony Brook and he told me I was accepted! So exciting! He said they admitted fewer people this year than in the previous few years. Will most likely accept the offer :) Good luck to everyone else on this forum!

Congratulations!!!  How cool to have an interview (which I find nerve-wracking a lot of the time) yield immediate good news!

First time poster, came in to give updates.

Out of my ten schools (all PhD programs, IR focus)

Rejected by UCSD

Accepted by OSU, UChicago

Shortlist: GWU (acceptances have not gone out yet, but I feel like a shoe-in)

no word yet from: UCLA, Notre Dame, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, MIT

2.5/1 is a pretty good record I'd say, and I feel confident about my chances at the rest.

First time poster, came in to give updates.

Out of my ten schools (all PhD programs, IR focus)

Rejected by UCSD

Accepted by OSU, UChicago

Shortlist: GWU (acceptances have not gone out yet, but I feel like a shoe-in)

no word yet from: UCLA, Notre Dame, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, MIT

2.5/1 is a pretty good record I'd say, and I feel confident about my chances at the rest.

Yeah man, sounds like you're doing really well.  I think you have a great shot at the rest.  Please let us know how it goes!  2.5/1 is pretty solid, hopefully you get that ratio up :)

IR, huh?  Awesome!  Super interesting.  What do you want to research?  

Apply for it as quickly as you can!  If a department has a sense that some of your funding will come from a set source, especially one outside the department, they may be more enthusiastic.  Get it out of your hands, into theirs, and spare yourself any sense that you could have done more when all is said and done!  You got this  :D

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement! By the way, did YOU receive an email previously from UChicago inviting you to apply for FLAS funding?

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement! By the way, did YOU receive an email previously from UChicago inviting you to apply for FLAS funding?

Yep, I received an email about a month ago, but I'm not really at the point where my language skills would allow me to make good use of it.  I do read and speak in french, but that's not funded.  My more eclectic language interest, afrikaans, isn't included.  I'm not sure if there's another funded language that will end up being useful for my research. Better to leave it for the more-worthy, such as yourself  ;)

To me there is tremendous shame involved in not getting accepted. And I apologize for wearing my emotions on my sleeves, but I just am at a point in that I am not sure what to do. And while it may seem erroneous to assume that one rejection means total rejection, I cannot but feel frustrated where this overwhelming trepidation curtails any courage I may muster. I honestly invested so much into this process - like all of you - that I may have unreasonable expected something positive at the end of this tunnel. And today's rejection just showed to me that what I thought were important aspects of a strong application - accomplishments that are indeed considered worthwhile in other areas - are indeed insignificant and overall, worthless. Thus, I feel nugatory and facile. This should not be, but nonetheless, it is a reaction to the news of a rejection.

This absolutely should not be.

No program accepts everyone that it would like to accept. None. There are just more good candidates out there than there are slots in good departments. If we don't accept someone, it generally means that they're not among the top 10-15 applicants out of everyone who applied in their subfield. If you think about it, that's an absurdly high bar. There's no shame whatsoever in being #16, but #16 won't get in. Hell, just having the background necessary to send in the application means that you've really done something you can be proud of.

Yeah man, sounds like you're doing really well.  I think you have a great shot at the rest.  Please let us know how it goes!  2.5/1 is pretty solid, hopefully you get that ratio up :)

IR, huh?  Awesome!  Super interesting.  What do you want to research?  

I mean, all you need at the end of the day is 1-x, as long as you applied to schools you wanted to attend. As for what I want to study, my interests are pretty scattered. Some security interests, a few things that are leading me down a constructivist path. Of course, I has a pretty solid research agenda in my statement, but in reality, I have a bunch of things I could see myself spending the next 4-5 years on.

This absolutely should not be.

No program accepts everyone that it would like to accept. None. There are just more good candidates out there than there are slots in good departments. If we don't accept someone, it generally means that they're not among the top 10-15 applicants out of everyone who applied in their subfield. If you think about it, that's an absurdly high bar. There's no shame whatsoever in being #16, but #16 won't get in. Hell, just having the background necessary to send in the application means that you've really done something you can be proud of.

10-15 is even pretty high for a subfield. GWU is looking at accepting 25-30 across all of Poli Sci, and for Chicago I think the number is even lower. I'm just putting in that there's absolutely no shame in being rejected. This is my second attempt, the first time I was rejected by everyone (and I didn't even apply at top schools).

Congratulations!!!  How cool to have an interview (which I find nerve-wracking a lot of the time) yield immediate good news!

Thanks :) Yes, interviews are really scary but its good to remember that you must have impressed in order to get an interview and the ones I have had have not been scary at all. I was all prepared to be grilled in my interview and then 5mins in he told me I was accepted so it was a massive relief! (although I think I got lucky as my interview got pushed back and he said that because my interview was later they had already decided haha).

Guys and gals, I had a quick question regarding FLAS. I received an e-mail by the U of Chicago making me aware of FLAS. My main concerns are twofold: 1) my primary interest resides in political theory and 2) I am a native speaker of Farsi (and German, though not applicable here). I never took any Farsi courses, and thus, do not have any academic instructor that could vouch for my skills. But, as I am a native speaker I was wondering whether I could still apply for FLAS, despite my area of interests. 

BFB, I do appreciate your remarks and I should definitely not feel shame. But the standards I have set up for myself prevent me from feeling anything but shame at not making it. I wish I could perceive this differently, but given the way I was brought up I feel strong humiliation at not succeeding. I try not to take it personally and I do understand the very difficult position the admission committees are presented with. I hold no resentment or anything to that like. My disappointment resides solely with me. 

Guys and gals, I had a quick question regarding FLAS. I received an e-mail by the U of Chicago making me aware of FLAS. My main concerns are twofold: 1) my primary interest resides in political theory and 2) I am a native speaker of Farsi (and German, though not applicable here). I never took any Farsi courses, and thus, do not have any academic instructor that could vouch for my skills. But, as I am a native speaker I was wondering whether I could still apply for FLAS, despite my area of interests. 

So here is what I know, however much it may be relevant to you. I am native in both English and Japanese. University of Washington does not offer Japanese classes for Native speakers. Hence, I cannot apply to FLAS in Japanese for my work here at UW as there are no Japanese language courses that cater to native speakers. However, I had let UW know from the onset that I am a native speaker of Japanese, and hence I can't do Japanese here. If UofC doesn't know that you're a native, or, they have native-level Farsi courses, then I assume you can apply for FLAS with Farsi. But that's just a guess.

Well, let me restate my Farsi qualifications. I can speak it, but cannot read nor write Farsi. I wanted to take a course in Farsi but was encouraged to take class not aligned to my native tongues. But even looking at the results page, is it even worth it? I highly doubt the University of Chicago will admit me.

Edit: In all honesty, I just do not see myself qualifying for this award. And it would not be fair to even apply. I read over the requirements back in December. Read over them again today. Nothing has changed. I just do not qualify. I wish I would, but I do not. :( Oh well, what more can they want from people besides sweat and blood. 

Edited by Facade19