Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Keep me posted if you get a reply, Evgeny.  I am in the same boat -- two rejections from good schools, and doubting myself more than ever.  Numbers wise, NYU was my best bet so this will be a big morale blow if it is as I fear...

I will probably get it tomorrow. I know that NYU can post waitlists couple of days after sending acceptances. I am not sure whether acceptances are all mailed at once.

Rejected in UCSD. I now start worrying whether it is due to the fact that I am international student or my SOP wasn't good enough. It was the same SOP as for Stanford, that is why I am worried. Hope for NYU and Rochester decisions today. 

I'm in the same boat as you! I was told by a prof at UCSD that nearly all the UC schools find it impossible to admit international students as there really isn't the funding streams available and departments find it difficult to justify the huge amount required to cover tuition for international students. Which means that even if you have an incredible file, it's still very difficult to get admission there.  Not impossible, but a whole lot more difficult.

I factored that in when I chose the schools I applied to, and have taken the two rejections I've received so far in that context. Knowing that they were both UC schools, (the only UC schools I applied to). They kind of don't really count in my mind. I don't feel like my application was read in the same light as other applicants because of that.

I wouldn't be alarmed at this stage, you still have some good options at schools that give us international students more of a fighting chance! UCSD and Stanford are also incredibly competitive programs.

Hoping for the best for you, I and everyone else on these boards who are probably enduring one of the most anxious periods of their lives!!!  

Still waiting for any news...idk whether to be happy or sad

No news is good news? Actually, I feel a lot better having two clear rejections from programs than a week ago when I was in limbo. I feel your pain. 

Having been through this process two years ago -- I encourage all of you to hold off on this talk of "implicit rejections."  Nothing is final until you hear from the school.  

Some schools (including the department I attend now) will release offers in waves.  Even if the bulk of offers have gone out, it's very possible that you're really on more of an implicit wait list.  I was rejected from 2 schools many weeks after the rest of the rejections went out.

For many of you, the next month is going to be one of the most emotionally taxing times of your lives and a lot of your friends and family have no way to understand what you're going through.   I know this is easier said than done, but do what you can to take a deep breath and relax.  If you can, try to find some way to distract yourself.  

When I was going through this 2 years ago, there was a frequent user on here who had been rejected by every school that she applied to during the prior cycle, and she ended up at a top 5 program after re-applying the next year.  If you don't make it this time, it's not the end of the road.  That being said, I know exactly what it feels like to be in your place.  Just hang in there a few more weeks.  Best of luck to all of you.

This is really nice to hear from someone who has gone through the process.  I don't actually find reassuring words from friends and family too helpful because they are not necessarily familiar with the difficulty of the processes -- posts like this are meaningful, and I think it speaks to gradcafe's community quality to see people who come back and are reassuring even a couple years on.

Rejected by Rice (after emailing the grad program administrator)! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would not have chosen it over Illinois.

This is bad form. When you don't care about the decision (you already have a better offer) why bother an overworked administrator during a busy time?

It's their job

Oftentimes it isn't their job.

More importantly, it's only February 5th. If it's March 15th and you need to make a decision, that's fine. Pestering coordinators just a few weeks after submitting your file merely because you're curious is unprofessional.

Oftentimes it isn't their job.

More importantly, it's only February 5th. If it's March 15th and you need to make a decision, that's fine. Pestering coordinators just a few weeks after submitting your file merely because you're curious is unprofessional.

I feel sheepish. You're right. Program administrators do a lot of thankless work and they're the glue that makes a graduate program run smoothly.

Anyone else in my position, don't do what I did!

EDITED TO ADD: This process is a little crazymaking—I can't imagine what it would be like to have no decisions at this point—but take a moment to think about the workload of the administrative staff.

Edited by slacktivist

Has anybody else gotten a poor funding offer from anywhere they've been accepted? It's basically ruled out one of my two acceptances -- and the other I wont' receive funding info for til March.

I've yet to receive a funding offer from my acceptance, which is putting me on edge even though I know they fully fund students.

Question: I'm presenting at a conference in 2 weeks where my one of my POI will be attending. I haven't heard a response from their program, but I'm expecting one before that time. Should I reach out to them about meeting up at the conference or wait it out until I receive a response?

Question: I'm presenting at a conference in 2 weeks where my one of my POI will be attending. I haven't heard a response from their program, but I'm expecting one before that time. Should I reach out to them about meeting up at the conference or wait it out until I receive a response?

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying something like "I know that your Committee is still in the process of making a decision, but I did want to reach out about [x] conference since it's coming up soon, and I know how tight conference scheduling can be!"  Make it about wanting to respect their logistical constraints, rather than framing it as a complaint ("even though you haven't gotten back to me yet and are basically being suuuuuper slow and ruining my life") haha.  

Has anybody else gotten a poor funding offer from anywhere they've been accepted? It's basically ruled out one of my two acceptances -- and the other I wont' receive funding info for til March.

define "poor". I've heard on funding from two, and neither package is phenomenal, but they are kind of in line with expectations (15-20). Especially since neither is in or near a major city.  

define "poor". I've heard on funding from two, and neither package is phenomenal, but they are kind of in line with expectations (15-20). Especially since neither is in or near a major city.  

Just sent you a message! it's about Davis

I know of schools thst give 30k

and I know of schools that pay ~13k  :P

I deliberately avoided a couple of schools that would have been a good fit but seem to generally offer low funding. Off the top of my head I think Texas - Austin was one. Probably not such an issue for Americans though, I'll have to go home sometime and internationals aren't eligible for as many scholarships and grants...

Edited by AuldReekie