Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Nothing from UCLA or Rochester so far. NYU also silent... I guess all acceptances of this week were mailed, but I guess UCLA and NYU have not notified all applicants yet. Also hope to hear good news from Rochester on Monday. 

Hi guys, I was very active in the 2013/14 cycle, but then unfortunately had to defer due to health reasons.

I just got word and funding info from "my" school, UCSD, and was wondering if other admits might be willing to share their financial package (also via pm)... Thanks in advance!

Nothing from UCLA or Rochester so far. NYU also silent... I guess all acceptances of this week were mailed, but I guess UCLA and NYU have not notified all applicants yet. Also hope to hear good news from Rochester on Monday. 

Really hoping that UCLA will have good news for us next week. 

I would bet the house that all NYU has made all offers at this point.

UCLA may keep them coming in spurts.

Also, Evgeny - do you have a 4.0 and 170/170? You pretty much applied to the T-10 + Rochester.

I would bet the house that all NYU has made all offers at this point.

UCLA may keep them coming in spurts.

Also, Evgeny - do you have a 4.0 and 170/170? You pretty much applied to the T-10 + Rochester.

II got indergrad degree from school outside US, it did not calculate numeric GPA, but yes, I got the highest grades. I am currently in good gradprogram in US, just decided to try to get into top-10. My GRE's are not perfect. but 160+ in both sections. I did the following calculation: pool of applicants to top schools is more or less similar. Applying to 10+ schools gives you raw odds 1 to 3, given 500+ application to each (of course, some schools have less). I figured out that with my stats I have a chance to get into at least one, so why not use it? My weak points were probably undergrad diploma (nodoby really knows my undegrad university) and maybe SOP, though I though that SOP should be on the stronger side. But after 3 rejections I don't really know. 

Hi guys, I was very active in the 2013/14 cycle, but then unfortunately had to defer due to health reasons.

I just got word and funding info from "my" school, UCSD, and was wondering if other admits might be willing to share their financial package (also via pm)... Thanks in advance!

Welcome back, IRToni! I was wondering where you were. I hope all is well now.

Do we think the Emory posting means that Emory acceptances are all out?

While I don't know if all Emory acceptances are out, I did get a call from Dr. Clark with an offer this afternoon. Recruitment weekend will be in mid-March. I also know UNT and Howard University have their acceptances out.

I hope this is not the end of all the UCLA acceptances. :(

Me too. I sent them e-mail to check if that is all or they plan to send another acceptances later. They had small incoming cohort last year, but a year before they had a pretty large cohort, about 20 or so I think. If they plan to accept large cohort this year, I presume there are still some offers which were not yet sent. 

In at UW. Email is from Chair of Department.

Also in at UW! For the others who received acceptance: was there anything in your email about visits? During my interviews I was told we would be invited to campus in March, but it didn't say anything in the announcement today. Maybe that will come in the second email from UW Grad School? 

Any word on Pittsburgh?? I emailed, but haven't heard anything back. Heard back from both UVA and Penn State that decisions would all be finalized by the end of the month/beginning of March.

I freaked out and wrote a program to data scrape the results page and email me if any of my schools pop up :/ not sure I've ever been so anxious for a Monday.

How many years are students usually offered fellowship? It's my impression that the first two years are usually fellowship but I am not sure if that is accurate. Additionally, if a program offers guaranteed funding for 5 years but in their offer provides the annual amount for 5 years but alas 2 of those are fellowship, is it assumed the remaining financial package is RaA or TA?

For those with calls from Emory, were they Friday afternoon?

Sorry if my post before was unclear, especially with time zone differences. Emory called me on Friday afternoon and it would have been about 6:30 pm their time. Dr. Clark did not offer any information about how far along they were in contacting those accepted. Hope that is more helpful!

Sorry if my post before was unclear, especially with time zone differences. Emory called me on Friday afternoon and it would have been about 6:30 pm their time. Dr. Clark did not offer any information about how far along they were in contacting those accepted. Hope that is more helpful!

Thanks for the info! I had my interview and thought it had gone pretty well so now I'm anxious

Out of curiosity, is everyone who is on this board aiming for a career in academia? What about those going (or only applying) somewhere outside Top 30ish?

P.S. Got funding offer from Wisconsin and it was surprisingly good. PM for more details.

Edited by testingtesting

Out of curiosity, is everyone who is on this board aiming for a career in academia? What about those going (or only applying) somewhere outside Top 30ish?

P.S. Got funding offer from Wisconsin and it was surprisingly good. PM for more details.

At the moment, aiming just to get into a PhD program. Academia is definitely #1 on the list of career trajectories, but I wouldn't mind think-tank or consulting work if the opportunity arises.

You occasionally come across as somewhat crass ;~}.  Ranking is only roughly correlated with successful academic careers.  For instance, according to both the studies on placement in research institutions listed earlier and the NRC, FSU performs better than several top 30 programs, and the more recent study claims that it outperforms NYU. 

Anyway, my top preference is a position at a research university.  I would consider liberal arts and MA granting schools, but at that level I would be more likely to consider a higher paying government or research position.

You occasionally come across as somewhat crass ;~}.  Ranking is only roughly correlated with successful academic careers.  For instance, according to both the studies on placement in research institutions listed earlier and the NRC, FSU performs better than several top 30 programs, and the more recent study claims that it outperforms NYU. 

Anyway, my top preference is a position at a research university.  I would consider liberal arts and MA granting schools, but at that level I would be more likely to consider a higher paying government or research position.

I was just curious. If you want to have that conversation (otherwise ignore below):

While nothing is deterministic, I made the decision to limit my applications to only certain programs because while we all have to be a touch crazy to pursue an academic political science career in the face of the base rates of success, I was skeptical that I am a large enough outlier to emerge from a low ranked program and obtain a job in academia. Kudos to those who have the (hopefully tempered) confidence that I did not.

While it is true that ranking is only roughly correlated with "successful academic careers," if you remove some measurement error by grouping universities by decile on most "academic success" rankings, the correlation is quite strong (I ran this analysis about 2 years ago on someone else's data but can't find my code, sorry). However, we are not really talking about "academic success" broadly - which tends to capture number and prestige of publications, awards, etc. of actual faculty and/or post-docs - and it is my understanding that the correlation is indeed quite low with regard to alma mater and employing institution in these rankings. Yet it is also my understanding that the correlation is actually quite high for placement (adjusting for program size) weighted by placement quality (defined however) and even higher for unweighted placement counts. Long story short, for getting your foot in the door by getting a job, it is my understanding that being in the T-30ish matters quite a bit. It seems this has changed modestly over the years, but I haven't seen enough reliable data or robustness checks on this to make feel confident in that claim.

What intrigues me is there is probably a fair amount of heteroskedasticity in the errors at the top and the bottom if you use the large, 100+ program samples that some papers looking at this do! Of course, we still get unbiased estimates of the parameter we care about!

Edited by testingtesting