Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

As someone who's a bit older (27) with a family (wife and kid), I'd agree that eventually money becomes an issue. Even if I get some great offers, I still have to weigh the cost of putting off financial goals for another 5 plus years. And spending several more years attempting to find a TT position after that isn't feasible. Fortunately for me, I'm coming from a career field where a PhD is both beneficial and extremely valuable money wise. If I didn't have that to fall back on, I wouldn't even be considering this.

But it works both ways right? I am nearly 27 myself. I don't have a wife, nor kids (nor do I intend on getting married or having kids). I already accrue a passive income, it doesn't matter to me that I am forgoing approximately 7 years to go through a Ph.D. program. Nor do I really care about earning money because I live a minimalist lifestyle. 

Different strokes for different folks. I am following my passion of political science, others may be doing a doctoral program for other reasons. 

Edited by victorydance

From the sound of it, many of ya'll are not diving straight in from undergrad, as I am doing. Is anyone else in the same boat? Just curious. 

Yep, currently finishing my final semester of undergrad too.

Edited by fakeusername

Yep, currently finishing my final semester of undergrad too.

Nice to meet ya. I'm curious if admissions committees consider straight-from-undergrad apps the same as in-the-work-force apps? 

Nice to meet ya. I'm curious if admissions committees consider straight-from-undergrad apps the same as in-the-work-force apps? 

Likewise!

From what I've personally heard, there isn't much of a preference either way as long as one's record is fairly solid.  I know for top sociology programs few are admitted straight from undergrad, but I don't think this is as true for political science--however, I'm sure proving work abilities in relevant fields or, for instance, a master's from a great program is a big boost.  I'm sure it's hard to gauge since background of applicants is likely highly variable.

Edited by fakeusername

Likewise!

From what I've personally heard, there isn't much of a preference either way as long as one's record is fairly solid.  I know for top sociology programs few are admitted straight from undergrad, but I don't think this is as true for political science--however, I'm sure proving work abilities in relevant fields or, for instance, a master's from a great program is a big boost.  I'm sure it's hard to gauge since background of applicants is likely highly variable.

What's your subfield? IR is my chosen field. 

If it makes you feel better, I also was rejected from GWU. 

What's your subfield? IR is my chosen field. 

If it makes you feel better, I also was rejected from GWU. 

IR is my subfield too.

GWU was my first rejection, but I was actually slightly impressed that they were so quick and professional so it didn't sting too much.  Have you been accepted anywhere so far?

Edited by fakeusername

Georgetown? Who wants to claim that?

It's me :) Got a phone call from a 202 number and it was one of my POI. He said that the official letter will be sent out on Monday (not 100% sure) but he was on the committee and wanted to say congrats. 

A new week and silence from Notre Dame.. I'm genuinely pretty happy with TAMU though. Will feel better when the financial aid details come through, but trying not to fret since it's guaranteed.

Fingers crossed for those of you still waiting for one good acceptance  :)

I've heard nothing from Notre Dame, either way, so...gonna be checking my email obsessively all day. 

Likewise. I have a feeling it'll be like UCLA, where it seems like their definite acceptances got notified in the first wave, and the definite rejects will follow after, then the maybes and waitlists will trickle in, followed by late admits. It appears to be the case for last year's decisions, anyway.

Likewise. I have a feeling it'll be like UCLA, where it seems like their definite acceptances got notified in the first wave, and the definite rejects will follow after, then the maybes and waitlists will trickle in, followed by late admits. It appears to be the case for last year's decisions, anyway.

There's only, by my count, three acceptances up so far on the Big Board. Crossing my fingers I'll get an email later today.