Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

What the fuck, Chicago?  Did you seriously send an email about picking the right graduate program that glorified your school while we are waiting for our rejections?

Chicago epic fail. Worth noticing: none of the current students interviewed is from PS. Implicit advice to choose the "right" graduate program next time. 

I am a loser for believing that I actually had a chance. I am idiot for believing that. This is a bitter pill to swallow. But thanks for your generous and cordial assessment. 

Don't give up already!  Aren't you still waiting to hear back from more places?  Even on the off chance that you don't get accepted anywhere, that gives you a year to get a leg up on the competition next year.

Edited by fakeusername

What the fuck, Chicago? Did you seriously send an email about picking the right graduate program that glorified your school while we are waiting for our rejections?

I got the same email and I didn't even apply to Chicago.

If you haven't gotten an acceptance from Stony Brook it may likely be a rejection. I emailed the DGS and he informed me I was rejected. I was very close to being admitted too. First official rejection.

If you haven't gotten an acceptance from Stony Brook it may likely be a rejection. I emailed the DGS and he informed me I was rejected. I was very close to being admitted too. First official rejection.

Thank you so much for the info and I am sorry that you were rejected.

It kind of makes me angry that they have decisions, but they are not sending them out. Is it that hard to really send out an email?

Hi again, guys.

I wrote e-mail to Rochester, and Department Administrator told me that acceptances have been sent out and I have to wait to for notification. Maybe they will send more offers this week, but that is what I was told. 

From what I heard, 23 students got in, and they're shooting for a class of about eight. Hopefully they'll let people know by the middle to end of March if there are more acceptances.

Hi again, guys.

From what I heard, 23 students got in, and they're shooting for a class of about eight. Hopefully they'll let people know by the middle to end of March if there are more acceptances.

Well, if 23 students got in, chances are slim. I hope that maybe other schools will send their decisions this week. I think NYU has sent all acceptances by this point, though they probably have waitlist also. I hope Princeton will come this week (previous year they started sending decisions at 11 February). I also mailed POI in Columbia about decisions, but no response so far. 

Don't give up already! Aren't you still waiting to hear back from more places? Even on the off chance that you don't get accepted anywhere, that gives you a year to get a leg up on the competition next year.

. Thank you for the encouragement. But I have accepted the reality of my circumstances. And while I am severely disappointed and in truth do not expect the other programs I applied to to admit me, I am glad that I had the opportunity to mean charming forum members such as yourself.

. Thank you for the encouragement. But I have accepted the reality of my circumstances. And while I am severely disappointed and in truth do not expect the other programs I applied to to admit me, I am glad that I had the opportunity to mean charming forum members such as yourself.

How many do you have left to hear from? Hopefully you hear some good news, but if not there are lots of people who have come back and been successful second time round. If it's really what you want to do then hopefully you'll get there. 

How many do you have left to hear from? Hopefully you hear some good news, but if not there are lots of people who have come back and been successful second time round. If it's really what you want to do then hopefully you'll get there. 

I hope your assessment is correct about coming back the second round... I am in my second cycle this year, and so far have not been contacted by anyone...  :(

Don't jump to conclusions. There were people in previous cycles who got rejected in 8 out of 10 schools they applied. They still got acceptances. Waiting is annoying, but there are still plenty of schools out there that have not yet sent their decisions. I am in very similar position as you: got 3 oficial rejections, one from school I really thought was a best shot. 

Well, I'm only being encouraging because what I'm saying is true.  Here's something I don't talk about too much: my academics were so bad after high school that I was rejected from attending a four-year university at all, twice (there were other factors involved, but mostly that).  Now I've caught up to and surpassed some of my old peers.  I personally know of several people who were rejected to all the graduate schools to which they applied, only to be accepted to a bunch of top programs a year or two later.  So maybe after I spend a couple years at Binghamton, or wherever, we'll cross paths at MIT, or somewhere, and that's if you still don't get accepted somewhere this time ;~}.  There may be plenty of things to complain about in the U.S., but one thing it's still not is a caste system.  So, really, don't give up yet.

Edited by fakeusername

Anyone claiming the University of Minnesota admits?

My status was changed from "awaiting program decision" to "final review." According to the Graduate School's website, "final review" means that "your program has made its admission decision and University officials are doing a very quick (usually within two business days) final review of your materials before sending out the decision notification." How can I interpret this? 

Anyone claiming the University of Minnesota admits?

My status was changed from "awaiting program decision" to "final review." According to the Graduate School's website, "final review" means that "your program has made its admission decision and University officials are doing a very quick (usually within two business days) final review of your materials before sending out the decision notification." How can I interpret this? 

I don't think the University officials would take time to review your materials if the the program decided not to admit you.