Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

There's only, by my count, three acceptances up so far on the Big Board. Crossing my fingers I'll get an email later today. 

UCLA?  I notice five, but that's still not too many so we should be expecting another wave of acceptances.

Edited by fakeusername

UCLA?  I notice five, but that's still not too many so we should be expecting another wave of acceptances.

Notre Dame. But they're in the same situation as UCLA: only a few has gone out far as I can tell. 

Even though I got rejections from both I really appreciate schools like USC and USCD which send out all decisions simultaneously. It's classier and more self confident than having waves of acceptances and unofficial waitlists.

So...we do expect more activity from UCLA?  Do we think there will be a second wave of acceptances, based on previous years?  Cause you know...hope.

In previous years, 2012 especially, their decisions have been spread out over several days, and I can't believe there would only be five results postings if all the acceptances have been released (also based on previous years).  That gives us at least a couple more days to be hopeful. 

Edited by fakeusername

On 2/9/2015 at 1:31 PM, solidsnake said:

Even though I got rejections from both I really appreciate schools like USC and USCD which send out all decisions simultaneously. It's classier and more self confident than having waves of acceptances and unofficial waitlists.

You know? I feel the same way with schools. It appears that WashU did the same thing, and even though I was rejected, it was much better. Some people heard from Stony Brook almost two weeks ago now, and I am still just waiting here. I would much rather have the decision and know so I do not have to keep on checking my email. 

Hi, everyone - I'm new to this thread! 

Is it customary for people that already got into one of their top programs to pull their applications from other places, especially since most results will come out in the next two weeks? 

I'm not sure, but that might improve the chances for everyone else if you're really certain.  There are a few programs I plan on turning down if an offer is made, but I won't tell them until I hear some decision (since I could be rejected from them anyway).

Edited by fakeusername

Is it customary for people that already got into one of their top programs to pull their applications from other places, especially since most results will come out in the next two weeks? 

This is more speculation than anything else, this is my first admissions cycle as well, but I would say you would have to be pretty certain that the program you got into is indeed your top choice and that something, such as the program's visit weekend, would not change your stance.

Edited by Username 2

I don't think that there is an obligation to do this. School know that students will get multiple offers and turn some down. They are prepared with wait lists. It is probably good to turn them done as soon as you are sure though, at least for the sake of the wait-listers. 

So...we do expect more activity from UCLA?  Do we think there will be a second wave of acceptances, based on previous years?  Cause you know...hope.

I wrote them e-mail. Joseph Brown told me that they will be sending more offers later, most likely the next week. Rochester has already sent all initial offers, but they have waitlist. Nothing new abouy NYU also. 

I wrote them e-mail. Joseph Brown told me that they will be sending more offers later, most likely the next week. Rochester has already sent all initial offers, but they have waitlist. Nothing new abouy NYU also. 

How do you know this about Rochester? My understanding from the phone call I had with the grad admin was that we'd hear more this week.

It may not be customary because people are egomaniacs but you should do it. It saves everyone time. People like fakeusername who have stated unconditionally that if accepted they would reject a program are wasting the time of adcoms and university administrative staff, as well as those who might otherwise get an offer in lieu of them and then perhaps cause delays for others. It's a feedback effect similar to traffic congestion modeling.

To reiterate: if you are not going somewhere with certainty, tell them. I recently did this for Cornell.

Edited by testingtesting

In my opinion, I'd wait to see what offers you get.  In the case that an equivalently ranked program offers you a better funding package there's always the slight chance you can use that to negotiate a better offer from your first choice school.  Might not be all too common, but always a useful possibility.  Plus, seeing where you get in can be fun in and of itself as long as you decide early enough to help out those on the waitlist...

How do you know this about Rochester? My understanding from the phone call I had with the grad admin was that we'd hear more this week.

I wrote e-mail to Rochester, and Department Administrator told me that acceptances have been sent out and I have to wait to for notification. Maybe they will send more offers this week, but that is what I was told. 

Was it a personalized or mass email?

Mass e-mail. 

Edit: let me rephrase it. It was a mass e-mail to check the website. And the website was mass too. 

Edited by Facade19

I am sorry for your rejection. But you are wrong about the last part--you are not a loser!

I am a loser for believing that I actually had a chance. I am idiot for believing that. This is a bitter pill to swallow. But thanks for your generous and cordial assessment.